Author Topic: Will Darkcoin pass Bitshares today or tomorrow?  (Read 11772 times)

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
I used to have thee masternodes and thousands of DRK. Darkcoin has a great team and clever ecosystem design. But it cannot overcome the limitation of PoW. The implementation of DRK rise for us is that if develop team is diligent and community is strong, someday it will be highlighted. If I were DRK owner, I would sell DRK now and buy BTS. :D
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Offline bluebit

• View Profile
The lead developer mentions here that their development team is the second largest just behind Bitcoin

http://youtu.be/5zPYWEPh_Us?t=50m30s
BTSX TipMe: bluebit

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
The spark comes from here?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg10426592#msg10426592

That announcement thread has 2.75 million views, wow.

I don't think DRK will pass BTS.

I think they have 20% inflation, that makes it quite hard to sustain a higher CAP in a bear market anyway.
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline LRENZ

• View Profile
  • BitShares: enz
Dark wanted to buy out ShadowCash last year but were denied, you can find the proposal online somewhere. Shadow has crowdfunded 5 BTC to get the code reviewed by some crypto expert that I forget his name and findings will be posted in coming weeks. Their method for anonymity just seems better to me because its simpler in design, dark on the other hand have done well but strikes me as over-engineered. The simplest ideas always seem to win in the long run because they have less points for failure.

I don't think dark will pass bts.
Revolution is inevitable.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
Wow, its still going strong. Still dont think it has a chance of passing bitshares but this is an impressive run.

Offline .yoshi

• View Profile
Why are posts being deleted? And who is deleting them?

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
I just got into DRK today, so I don't have much knowledge of Masternodes

My mistake. I misread the post that was deleted.

Offline bluebit

• View Profile
I just got into DRK today, so I don't have much knowledge of Masternodes

Offline bluebit

• View Profile

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
Weird... why were bluebit and vlight's posts deleted?

Anyway, I have some other issues with the transaction locking mechanism.

Let's take t = the total number of Masternodes, as the paper does. But let us also define l = number of lazy Masternodes. I define a lazy Masternode as one who will not bother participating in the consensus process if elected as an authority node for that block. I see no mechanism discussed to not pay them if they refuse to reach consensus. In fact, I'm not sure how the network would really even be able to decide that (this is where nodes that have reputation, delegates, that can be voted out based on human judgement comes in handy). So, if a Masternode is going to be paid anyway for being a Masternode regardless of whether they participate in the consensus process for confirming locked transaction or not, we must assume some percentage of them will be lazy.

The probably of selecting 10 authority nodes that do not have any lazy Masternodes is p = ((t - l)!/(t - l - 10)!) / ((t)!/(t - 10)!) = ((t - l)! * (t - 10)!) / ((t)! * (t - l - 10)!). Then, ln(p) = ln((t-l)!) + ln((t-10)!) - ln(t!) - ln((t-l-10)!). If I assume that t is large and that l/t is not to close to 1 (say l/t <= 0.5), then I can use Stirling's approximation to get an estimate of ln(p): ln(p) ≈ (t-l)*ln(t-l) - (t-l) + (t-10)*ln(t-10) - (t-10) - t*ln(t) + t - (t-l-10)*ln(t-l-10) + (t-l-10) = (t-l)*ln(t-l) + (t-10)*ln(t-10) - t*ln(t) - (t-l-10)*ln(t-l-10). Define f = 1 - l/t. Then ln(p) ≈ t*f*ln(t*f) + (t-10)*ln(t-10) - t*ln(t) - (t*f-10)*ln(t*f-10).

So, p ≈ exp(t*f*ln(t*f) + (t-10)*ln(t-10) - t*ln(t) - (t*f-10)*ln(t*f-10)), and f = 0.5 corresponds to half of the Masternodes being lazy while t = 1 corresponds to none of the Masternodes being lazy. And (1-p) is the probability of failing to reach consensus due to the existence of at least one lazy Masternode in the set of 10 randomly chosen authority nodes. I have plotted this probability for a choice of t = 1000 here. Even if 15% of the Masternodes are lazy, that will result in an approximately 80% failure rate. That means 80% of the time, users will have to wait for the slow confirmations rather than the fast ones. If you want the failure rate to be less than 5%, you will need less than 0.5% of the nodes to be lazy (which seems extremely unrealistic to me unless you have a way to punish authority nodes that fail to reach consensus).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 09:08:02 pm by arhag »

Offline infovortice2013

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BitShares en español
  • BitShares: traderx
and dark admit all nodes that people wanna make to make instantX transactions, to run node you need 1000 darkcoins

and have a big bitcoin whale respalding it making fat buy walls

and bitcoin loosing price

very active and opened comunity, has more than 4k post on bitcointalk

darkcoin serius proyect looks like
New Keyoteeid: 5rUhuLCDWUA2FStkKVRTWYEqY1mZhwpfVdRmYEvMRFRD1bqYAL
new08/21 id 5Sjf3LMuYPSeNnjLYXmAoHj5Z6TPCmwmfXD6XwDmg27dwfQ

Offline vlight

• View Profile
  • BitShares: vlight
..., but I see the Darkcoin wallet as very polished compared to Bitshares wallet, it works, and doesn't crash.

But it's just a standard Bitcoin wallet's clone. It's boring and overused  :D

While BitShares main wallet requires more powerful hardware, it's still way more cool.  ;)

Offline Rune

• View Profile
Still, doesn't Shadow have better technology anonymity wise? Or at least, that's what I heard.

Shadow is in a completely different league. They have something that actually approaches true anonymity, like zerocoin (but without the counterparty risk drawback). Problem is their blockchain gets super bloated and I think you need to do proof of work to send an anonymous transaction.

It's the shadow tech bitshares should copy when we one day want to implement anonymity, far out in the future.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
it's anonymous and now with it's increased speed, it's almost instant, looks very promising

Bitshares : Propagating blocks every 10 seconds won't allow the network to grow very large without tons of orphans. Darkcoin solves this by locking transactions into the next block while the block is being solved, this gives you the best of both worlds, really fast confirmation with a really stable network.

Darkcoin isn't really anonymous, it just uses coinjoin. I think it's basically at the same level of privacy as the stealth transactions that bitshares uses, although its possible they have more transactions in general and thus more obscurity.

And I don't think there's any indication that it will scale better than bitshares. Since ultimately only the delegates need to maintain full nodes we'd only need 101 times visas processing power to process visa level transactions. I don't think darkcoin would be secure with that few nodes. I also can't see why there would be any performance gain from propagating transactions individually rather than in blocks, in fact im pretty sure it decreases performance since you'd now have to propagate all information 3 times: when it's sent, when its instant confirmed, and when its in the block.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:03:41 pm by Rune »

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
Still, doesn't Shadow have better technology anonymity wise? Or at least, that's what I heard.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads