Author Topic: Quaterly Delegate Voting  (Read 2176 times)

Offline amencon

• View Profile

If delegates don't feel it's worth there while to participate then that just becomes another criteria for whether someone should vote for them or not.  I think the ones who take the time too will benefit from the exposure. At a certain point I believe poor performance delegates will voted out regardless so the competition will be between the delegates who go the extra mile and provide information like this.
Yeah that's true.  I'm on board with the idea regardless of how much it gets used by voters in the short term.  Now the question is how do we collaborate to come up with a standard for this? 

I think something relatively simple should work fine as discussed, some basic "Bitsharesblocks" metrics, a few fields for input from delegates and maybe a spot for delegates to submit transactions showing usage of pay funds for various uses.

The trick will be to get someone to build a site that let's delegates register, pulls up their stats, polls them for the user defined data and let's them submit transactions with notes plus whatever else is deemed desirable for this.

If svk had an API I could poll on bitsharesblocks.com I could do it in .NET fairly easily I think, I could probably figure out running a local client on the web server and getting the data using RPC calls but that would definitely take more time.  If nobody else jumps on this in the next few weeks or more and I can finish up some other side projects I'm working on I'll definitely give it a shot.

Offline Pheonike

If delegates don't feel it's worth there while to participate then that just becomes another criteria for whether someone should vote for them or not.  I think the ones who take the time too will benefit from the exposure. At a certain point I believe poor performance delegates will voted out regardless so the competition will be between the delegates who go the extra mile and provide information like this.

Offline amencon

• View Profile
I like this idea and as a delegate would be willing to participate in it. 

Quarterly performance reports make sense, though I think they will work better when there is more competition to become a delegate.  Assuming there were lots of viable standbys to vote in and there was lucrative potential in becoming a delegate, as a voter I would love to see voluntary quarterly performance reports from delegates to help direct where to vote.  That way those that didn't bother would run the risk of being voted out and thereby be incentivized to participate as well.

While I support getting something like this setup now, I don't think it will be utilized much currently.  I think publishing feeds is a more critical role for a delegate than volunteering a performance report, and yet there is a good chunk of delegates with no price feeds that don't seem to be motivating much corrective action from voters in general.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I kind of like this ..
we should also build a platform where we can track income and expense of different delegates ... from the blockchain perspective ..

Offline Pheonike

People can always vote anytime they want too. I'm not changing anything that is already possible. I think having a quarterly voting event would drive more participation in voting. Most people are not going to constantly scan the forums and random sites info on all the delegates all time. Having schedule would encourage casual users to at least pay attention and focus at some point during the year.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
So you want to restrict voting to once per 3 months? Or you want to invalidate all votes after 3 months? This seems like a bad idea in my opinion, although maybe it would make sense to invalidate a vote after 1 year of inactivity, since the stake could be lost and a "locked in" vote is unsafe since it cannot react if the delegate turn rogue.

Offline fuzzy

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Pheonike

I was thinking since Bitshares is patterned after a company we should have annual voting cycles for delegate. We should set a quarterly voting schedule for delegate voting. Companies have a quarterly earnings reports to their shareholders so should the delegates.  The report doesn't have to be long, just one or two pages but the format should be  standardize. There will be a standard table on the first page with the delegates performance for the past quarter. Their performance metrics can easily be gotten from an independent source such as Bitsharesblock. A breakdown of their pay for the quarter.They should then explain any issues they had which affected their performance numbers. The next section should explain what they pay has gone to and why for that period. Then finally was are the plans for the next quarter. Nothing long, just one or two pages.

-Performance Table
-Pay Breakdown
-Summary of past Quarter
-Plans for next Quarter

Right now voting feels like a vacuum. You are are voting but it hard to gage the impact of those votes because the process is disjointed. By having a cycle such as quarterly voting we may increase participation because people we have something to look forward to.  People are still able to vote anytime they want of course but having a schedule brings some order to what seems like a chaotic system.