Poll

How Much would it require to Fund Construction of an Associated Press DAC?

5,000-10,000 bitUSD
3 (10.7%)
10,001-25,000 bitUSD
2 (7.1%)
25,001-50,000 bitUSD
2 (7.1%)
50,001-100,000 bitUSD
4 (14.3%)
100,001-200,000 bitUSD
3 (10.7%)
200,001-500,000 bitUSD
6 (21.4%)
500,001-1,000,000 bitUSD
8 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: October 21, 2014, 06:47:10 PM

Author [EN] [ZH] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [EN] [ZH] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [EN] [ZH] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Associated Press DAC  (Read 899 times)

Offline fuzzy

Associated Press DAC
« on: October 14, 2014, 06:35:19 PM »

It is apparent we need more marketing.  It is also apparent we have some amazing DACs that are decentralizing power in some potentially huge industries...  But one important thing seems to be missing from the equation--an Associated Press DAC.  A decentralized autonomous press DAC like the one found in the following whitepaper--https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=7.msg7#msg7

It would incentivize people to create content which would at the same time promote the crypto industry while ensuring low barriers to entry remain low.  Everyone could participate and make money if they want to give people good information. 

We have opened up a poll to ask what you believe it will cost to construct one of these DACs.  Please visit the site and let us know what you think!  http://beyondbitcoinx.net/members/fuznuts/polls/view/5/

Or vote here in this very thread!

The Media doesn't need overlords...it needs DACS!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 06:46:02 PM by fuzzy »
BROWNIE==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits Welcome to  the Sharing Economy w/ BeyondBitcoin.org Partners--ShareBits.io & OpenLedger.info
TIP FORMAT: #sharebits "ForumHandleInQuotes" Quanity Token_Name

Offline mint chocolate chip

Re: Associated Press DAC
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 07:00:00 PM »
Do you have to be logged in? I get this message...

There is no poll with this ID

Requested page was not found

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 07:20:20 PM »
It's a good idea though I couldn't see anything easily on the link but what may work is something like a Coindesk but run as a DAC for DACs, 'DACWorld'

Advertising space is sold and used to fund content creation.
(Then it only needs seed funding to get it to the point where it's popular enough to become profitable.)

Other thoughts

-As a BitShares DAC it will also probably get a lot of good DAC content from the various BitShares DACs, maybe a lot of stuff can be announced there too in addition to the forums. (So if you're looking for a 1 stop shop for the latest DAC announcements there may be the easiest place.)
- It could also have a DACMarketCap
- It could also have a delegates section. I imagine the most popular and trusted delegates will be delegates on multiple DACs

Edit: Oh yeah, I thought DACWorld rung a bell,
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=5137.0
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 07:24:50 PM by Empirical1.1 »

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 07:25:22 PM »
AP DAC depended upon price discovery on block chain... bit assets require price feeds.

AP DAC would need to be carefully reconsidered after lessons learned with BitUSD.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 07:41:56 PM »

I'd love to hear bytemaster's thoughts a bit more on these lessons learned etc.

With the idea of having a website onramp something like this could work I would think. I think the novelty of being on a blockchain could attract viewers.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Gentso1

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 09:42:19 PM »
Money could be generated from ad space, companies sponsoring, Devs looking for a new soap box to stand on to promote new coins or DACS.

They key would be keeping costs low and providing a high level of unbiased content. Their is a real market for this.

How would it be determined which AP's got paid what and for how much?

Offline BitTitan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 10:31:39 PM »
Money could be generated from ad space, companies sponsoring, Devs looking for a new soap box to stand on to promote new coins or DACS.

They key would be keeping costs low and providing a high level of unbiased content. Their is a real market for this.

And you guys wouldnt have to rely on news outlets who openly have no love for invictus, currently have a monopoly and loyalty to your competitors.

This should have been the second DAC released IMO. It the most strategically advantageous DAC I have seen.   Marketing funds could be used to build it too.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:33:57 PM by BitTitan »

Offline Gentso1

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 04:03:15 PM »

And you guys wouldnt have to rely on news outlets who openly have no love for invictus, currently have a monopoly and loyalty to your competitors.

This should have been the second DAC released IMO. It the most strategically advantageous DAC I have seen.   Marketing funds could be used to build it too.
Its not really about having a outlet who has love for anyone. It is simply a outlet that does it's dammed'est to let the news of platforms, alts, miners to reach the public unbiased. In the current scene if a show gets all of its money from one source, say a mining equipment supplier that show will have to make a hard decision to report the good and bad of mining related topics. The key is many streams of revenue,a large audience and a low entry fee for start-ups to get their message out.     

Offline jabbajabbaつ◕_◕つ

• Watch Your Profanity!
    • View Profile
  • BTS: jabbajabba
  • Payrate: 666%
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 04:22:11 PM »
Do you have to be logged in? I get this message...

There is no poll with this ID

Requested page was not found
Yes you have to be logged in.
Didn't know lol.
I have to change that

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 04:24:07 PM »
I'd rather we call it something that isn't a trademarked name (AP or Associated Press) of another entity.

Offline CoinHoarder

• In Cryptocoins I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 04:58:37 PM »
I'd rather we call it something that isn't a trademarked name (AP or Associated Press) of another entity.

Yes, I'd also like you guys to consider something else.

I think this is a great idea, but why stop short of a news/marketing organization? This idea could be applied to a broader use case of incentivizing people to do anything:

BTSX related services:
Create good DAC ideas
Develop code for a DAC or submit Github commits
Submit bugs and vulnerabilities
Write, edit, and improve upon DAC wiki documentation
Web site development and content
Infographics
Testing release candidates
Providing tech support
Marketing
Securing partnerships
Etc

You could expand it even further which is what I think would be really neat by incentivizing people to create things that are not related to Bitshares like Devcoin does but in a more autonomous way:
A Wikipedia alternative
Art
Music
Articles
Books
Photography
Constructive forum or reddit-like posts with substance
Ideas and research papers
Inventions
Anything that involves creativity and time spent by humans that can't be done by a computer or protocol..
Etc.

General technology related:
Write programs, plugins
Open source services
Hardware development
Testing
Etc.

Mathematical and scientific research..

The use cases are endless and only limited by our imagination. Have share holders vote on the best content and reward a certain amount of coins per day to those whose creations receive the most "up votes" a la reddit. Create a community of productive people that are incentived to be productful more so than simply voluntarily providing their time for free. The general idea being that we can incentivize people for the betterment of society in many ways.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 05:13:06 PM »

I had a similar idea where people vote on edits etc and people's contributions.

These systems need a decent way to keep out some content.  You will forever be fighting off kids who want to talk about boogers (or worse) just to annoy everyone.  How do you do that without allowing a malicious entity to censor someone?

Then there is the financing model that incentivizes the whole thing.  How do you make it so it can't be gamed ?

I'm really fascinated by the idea of a website in front of the DAC where people don't necessarily need to download the wallet and synch up to receive the experience.  That is huge.  It gives you decentralization as a tactic while keeping user experience change to a minimum.  Very powerful.  Someone could start up a combo news site/DAC.  Not sure if there is much money in that stuff right now, but having it all blockchain powered  would be pretty cool.  A sharp person might very well be able to make a decent business out of that and go beyond crypto/DAC world.

Offline CoinHoarder

• In Cryptocoins I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 05:33:23 PM »

I had a similar idea where people vote on edits etc and people's contributions.

These systems need a decent way to keep out some content.  You will forever be fighting off kids who want to talk about boogers (or worse) just to annoy everyone.  How do you do that without allowing a malicious entity to censor someone?

Then there is the financing model that incentivizes the whole thing.  How do you make it so it can't be gamed ?

I'm really fascinated by the idea of a website in front of the DAC where people don't necessarily need to download the wallet and synch up to receive the experience.  That is huge.  It gives you decentralization as a tactic while keeping user experience change to a minimum.  Very powerful.  Someone could start up a combo news site/DAC.  Not sure if there is much money in that stuff right now, but having it all blockchain powered  would be pretty cool.  A sharp person might very well be able to make a decent business out of that and go beyond crypto/DAC world.

I see it working like a decentralized version of Reddit, but consisting of more than links images and text.

You will have subreddits with different communities to separate everything.

Upvoting brings the best content to the top and content with little substance out of view. You could also charge a transaction fee to prevent spamming.

One part of preventing gaming of the system would be verifying identities. BM has stated the FollowMyVote DAC will have this feature, so we could tie it into that or perhaps do it separately. Supposedly it is at least possible.

That alone is not enough to prevent gaming though. One idea would be if the same group of people repeatedly up votes the same content as other people then their vote could automatically be counted as negative or them not allowed to vote. However, that may block out honest actors in the form of communities and people with similar ideology for instance..

My guess is you would need to come up with many "rules" such as this to make it work. Similar to how the Bitasset markets have rules so that they function the way they do. I'll have to think about this more, I think it could be done in one way or another.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 05:43:56 PM »

So you are thinking more along the lines of an aggregator DAC where the voting is what is taken care of on the blockchain ?  Something that just points to other sites using a voting system ?  People could be paid for submissions.  It would be interesting to see if people were willing to pay for the tokens for such a thing.

I'm not sure what you mean by more than images and text....  I like the idea of news on the blockchain, but something that could attach a more fiercely independent type view.  Like wikileaks sort of stuff in addition to real news.  Not sure.  Most news isn't particularly censored as it is with the internet.  With the right (or wrong) stuff your blockchain then becomes more like a torrent for censored content.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 05:49:37 PM by gamey »

Offline luckybit

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 05:45:39 PM »
AP DAC depended upon price discovery on block chain... bit assets require price feeds.

AP DAC would need to be carefully reconsidered after lessons learned with BitUSD.

I like the concept of such a DAC but the problem is that it seems limited to text articles when most of the press will be Vlogs. If we could monetize the Vlod format I think we could all become journalists at that point.

I think the Bitshares Music DAC could be used to monetize audiostreams/podcasts like Beyond Bitcoin.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Google+