Author Topic: [DAC Proposal] CubeSpawn  (Read 2375 times)

Offline CubeSpawn

• View Profile
Thanks for the feedback, emski, I'm good with skepticism, since this IS a difficult problem, and I'm not finding it any easier than those who have gone before me... 8)

G1ng3rBr34dM4n & Troglodactyl,  thanks for your careful reading, and responses...

The latest pictures are here goo .gl /3SJySF (PLEASE FIX THIS LINK AFTER PASTING) and I think we are making good progress on the physical hardware and the software control system (based on ROS - the open source Robot Operating System)

During prototyping, each machine has a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian, an instance of ROS, and MTConnect (an open industrial communications protocol) onboard, this provides a simple, standardized interface to each machine for the other machines to interact with, all the dull communications details you'd expect...;-)

Documentation is still spotty, but all the parts are coming together to get the technical details published in a coherent fashion - and we have plans to release a bunch of reference standard designs for: a laser cutter, a spot welder, a surface grinder, a pressure former (think cheap injection molding) and several types of 3D printers FDM, and SLS being formost, but tissue printing might come within a few years for ethical meat production - the limit here is imagination.

For all of these processes there are still many materials, metrology, motion control and system design concepts that do not have clear solutions, but, as with any open source project, I am confident someone who needs the solution will solve it or find it for their own reasons.

The cryptocurrency portion of the solution is to let the system evolve to be a universal resource not under centralized control, available to all.

This is a dream, but its a pretty lucid one ;-)

-James
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 07:05:46 pm by CubeSpawn »

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
This looks scamish as there is no video of a working prototype. You claim a village created larger version of the cubes however noone recorded a video of this.
You claim you have working prototypes capable of doing something but where is the proof?
You list hardware that anyone could buy but you list no specs and no information what it was supposed to do.
Where are your customers?
Who used this product?
Where is your forum?
Most of the links on the site cannot be opened.

Given that it's under the "Why?" header, I think the village scenario you referenced is a example of what they want to make possible, not what they've done already.

Somewhat out of date, but this may be more representative of where the hardware end of the project is now: https://plus.google.com/photos/103828779781480193226/albums/5931127122084783137?banner=pwa

Clearly this is a work in progress, but I'd love to see it work.  CubeSpawn, do you have an ETA on the first physical prototypes?

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
Well I like the idea pretty much. Self replicating hardware is a concept pursued for a long time.
However I was unable to find sufficient proof of the existing implementation. There are a lot of links/talks but nothing that presents the finished product with its capabilities. It looks "too good to be true".
Sorry if I've offended anyone. This is my opinion which is subject to change.

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

This looks scamish as there is no video of a working prototype. You claim a village created larger version of the cubes however noone recorded a video of this.
You claim you have working prototypes capable of doing something but where is the proof?
You list hardware that anyone could buy but you list no specs and no information what it was supposed to do.
Who used this product?
Where is your forum?

Easy emski.  This is a place where ideas should be accepted with an open mind.

Cubespawn, welcome!

Found a couple of links for those interested in seeing what they've been up to:
http://www.cubespawn.com/why/
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L1CGFiLZlogC9BsOPkvHVoQhzDvTagRMN1nQuAFZcp8/edit

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
Who used this product?
Where is your forum?

Offline CubeSpawn

• View Profile
Since I can't post external links, this will be moderately harder

here are strings from Google's URL Shortener (goo.gl)

CUT/PASTE/REMOVE THE SPACES

goo .gl /ItykjW is the post on the Ethereum Forum (where a number of questions are addressed)
goo .gl /N9N86f is the link sheet (as listed on the site)
goo .gl /8AeqwU is the full gallery of images of the system
goo .gl /3SJySF is the latest pictures

The DAC for this system collects fees (like Bitcoin fees are payed to miners)

A reputation system could also contribute validation

People selling capacity would be paid from a similar pool.

This would be an opt-in DAC for machine owners, the DAC would find work for their systems (via a voluntary commissioned sales network) and help them find new customers (Via a listing Service) plus, requested features could be implemented by engineers payed a fee for creating a design and commission on # of installed instances of their creations, and engineers would be incentivized to publish upgrades, that the customers machines could manufacture at the cost of materials and energy, locally.

this is only a portion of what the DAC could add to a distributed manufacturing system.

Cheers,
James
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 02:09:42 pm by CubeSpawn »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
The DAC is probably the newest part of the system design, but the physical prototypes have been sponsored and are being built now!!
Please let us see a picture of a physical prototype of a DAC!  ???

edit: Ok .. I see I misinterpreted that sentence ..
from what I understand from the webpage you are building a flexible machine for prototype construction ...
not sure how a DAC fits into this!?

could you elaborate this?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 03:37:49 pm by xeroc »

Offline CubeSpawn

• View Profile
I proposed a DAC on Ethereum for CubeSpawn, back in January. CubeSpawn will bring the cost of manufacturing down, (to nothing, it is hoped in the long term) the addition of a DAC can create a self managed, distributed manufacturing network that can incentivize engineering, operations, sales and ratings.

CubeSpawn is an Open Source, Modular, FMS (Flexible Manufacturing System)

My team and I have been working on the system concept for the last 5 years and I have been thinking about it for 15 at least ;-) The DAC is probably the newest part of the system design, but the physical prototypes of the machines have been sponsored and are being built now!!

For more detailed information, please click on the "Detailed Project Links" on the site

The website is about to undergo a major redesign, so things may move around some in the coming weeks and months.

Checkout
CubeSpawn dot com
for more info

Thanks for looking, feedback appreciated!

-James
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 02:20:18 pm by CubeSpawn »