Author Topic: Should we continue to funding mining of PTS?  (Read 38291 times)

zerosum

please dont make it a final snapshot and that is it...Snapshots make PTS valuable.  What is the reason to even hold PTS then?  In my opinion, watch pts completely drop off of coinmarketcap after this happens.
That's the plan. An end to PTS with one final snapshot.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
It's silly because to the outworld community (people who dont understand bitshares) it will show a crack in the system of bitshares. People dont get whats for what in our system, they see bitshares as one whole thing. If one falls (and thats how it would be viewd by outsiders when it "shuts down"), people will be warry of bying into other DACS - you guys must look at it from outside, as if you dont really understand the concept and you are an average crypto user. Its a BAD idea.... (not saying that keeping to mine them is good)

This is a very powerful argument.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline oldman

• View Profile
Buying into "snapshots" is very tricky because the value of PTS includes so many factors that you don't know what price you are getting.   If you are really interested in a particular DAC it is almost always better not to buy PTS but to buy that one DAC because you will get a larger stake per value.   See the Peertracks Pre Sale... cheaper to buy in via their AGS system than via PTS.

To correctly make this comparison you have to use the anticipated price drop of PTS as the purchase price you are comparing.  There is residual value in PTS after traditional snapshots that doesn't count against what you paid to get those NOTES or whatever.

+1  You are right... in other words you cannot compute the relative cost of PTS vs the presale price... thus it is almost always better to go with the presale if you have a price you are willing to pay... especially because the presale will actually help the DAC you want to succeed (making it more likely to succeed) where as buying PTS does not help the DAC to succeed.

I think this is the crux of it - PTS/AGS helped bootstrap the Bitshares tech to the point that other DACs could launch and bootstrap via presales.

In this sense PTS/AGS have largely served their purpose and PTS now adds unnecessary complexity to the platform.

PTS should perhaps be retired per the OP.

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
It's silly because to the outworld community (people who dont understand bitshares) it will show a crack in the system of bitshares. People dont get whats for what in our system, they see bitshares as one whole thing. If one falls (and thats how it would be viewd by outsiders when it "shuts down"), people will be warry of bying into other DACS - you guys must look at it from outside, as if you dont really understand the concept and you are an average crypto user. Its a BAD idea.... (not saying that keeping to mine them is good)
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline Riverhead

please dont make it a final snapshot and that is it...Snapshots make PTS valuable.  What is the reason to even hold PTS then?  In my opinion, watch pts completely drop off of coinmarketcap after this happens.
That's the plan. An end to PTS with one final snapshot.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline fuzzy

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
I think we should launch BitShares ME with the first asset being PTS, built in. The PTS snapshot taken can be used both as the percentage of total ME stake, as well as the built-in PTS asset.

ME could have snapshot tools built in, to sharedrop any asset on top of another asset. This would make PTS as part of ME make even more sense.

This also gives incentive to finally launch ME. How perfectly this all fits together makes this seem like a no-brainer to me.

how would it technicly work?
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
I think we should launch BitShares ME with the first asset being PTS, built in. The PTS snapshot taken can be used both as the percentage of total ME stake, as well as the built-in PTS asset.

ME could have snapshot tools built in, to sharedrop any asset on top of another asset. This would make PTS as part of ME make even more sense.

This also gives incentive to finally launch ME. How perfectly this all fits together makes this seem like a no-brainer to me.

Offline svk

Well I am for shutting down the mining of PTS to prevent miner dilution, I am concerned about a 20% cut of DACs going to the same set of entities that are locked in stone.  This is not much different than Apple or Google taking a 30% cut to be featured in their store. With PTS liquid, it at least allows new 'founders' into the system.

Is there a way we can stop mining but still keep PTS liquid?

Issue it as bitAsset.
I'm all for shutting down the mining as well, and the best way to do this seems to be to make it a user issued asset.

However, is snapshotting of an asset actually possible? TITAN and all you know.. And how would the initial distribution work? Would everything need to be done manually?
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
Well I am for shutting down the mining of PTS to prevent miner dilution, I am concerned about a 20% cut of DACs going to the same set of entities that are locked in stone.  This is not much different than Apple or Google taking a 30% cut to be featured in their store. With PTS liquid, it at least allows new 'founders' into the system.

Issue it as bitAsset.

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile

+5%
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline sschechter

• View Profile

BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
there will still be pre-sales held right?  :D
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline BTSdac

• View Profile
  • BitShares: K1
I think it is like 11.5 is  snapshot date that snapshot all dac in further.
github.com :pureland
BTS2.0 API :ws://139.196.37.179:8091
BTS2.0 API 数据源ws://139.196.37.179:8091