Author Topic: Should we continue to funding mining of PTS?  (Read 38056 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
At least this would greatly simplify future genesis blocks ..

unless people leave their PTS in the exchanges

Offline bytemaster

How about making PTS an asset on btsx? It would be a great way to show off the capabilities of the market engine, and would save the community both mining and exchange fees.

But would require generate of new snapshot tools... would be another "thing" to explain to new members of our community.... it would be competing with new DACS for capital.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
How about making PTS an asset on btsx? It would be a great way to show off the capabilities of the market engine, and would save the community both mining and exchange fees.

Offline bytemaster

Can you simplify it for me : PTS will not be honored in future after stopping mining ?

The last PTS snapshot of all time (Nov 5, 2014) should be honored by DAC developers... afterward PTS will have no value to US thus we will dump it... and miners which are currently mining near a loss or at a loss will stop completely.   

will there be PTS-2.0 ? or just no more PTS at all?

No more PTS at all is the proposal... there would only be a 20% allocation to a fixed genesis block that will be distributed with the toolkit as a recomendation. 
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

What will happen to the 10% AGS/10% PTS social consensus? It will become 20% for AGS or still 10% for AGS?

10% Last PTS snapshot
10% AGS.

Offline BldSwtTrs

• View Profile
What will happen to the 10% AGS/10% PTS social consensus? Will it become 20% for AGS or still be 10% for AGS?

Offline bytemaster

Can you simplify it for me : PTS will not be honored in future after stopping mining ?

The last PTS snapshot of all time (Nov 5, 2014) should be honored by DAC developers... afterward PTS will have no value to US thus we will dump it... and miners which are currently mining near a loss or at a loss will stop completely.   

Offline bytemaster

Future DACs should honor PTS for helping bootstrap this community and fund development of the toolkit... but should we continue to dilute PTS holders just to fund mining?

Based upon designs for future DACs that we have, there is no need to have PTS be liquid.   

What if we simply shut down PTS after one last snapshot for all eternity for any and all future DACs after which it becomes an empty token with the value of all the other alt coins?

I think it would be much cleaner to simply end PTS... have DACS launch their own proto-dac like Toast did or even BTSX did.   

Why do this?  It simplifies our marketing message... no need to advertize/support PTS after the last snapshot.   

Those who want liquidity could sell prior to the last snapshot and buy into individual proto-dacs when the time comes. 

This will also create one genesis block initial balance template for all DACs and remove the need to support the genesis block generators for arbitrary dates.

We are coming up on November 5th, 1 year from the launch of PTS so I would like to propose that November 5th be the last snap shot day for all time after which we would dump all of our PTS on the market to who ever wants to speculate.    I suspect that the price fall on PTS after this date would stop mining in its tracks anyway..

Mining is costing our community over $5000 per day right now and over $1 million over the next year.... assuming block times will "average" 5 minutes.  We should certainly end mining prior to the next difficulty adjustment... because with what we are paying for mining on PTS we could hire many developers.

Just a proposal...