Author Topic: Should we continue to funding mining of PTS?  (Read 38051 times)

Offline cgafeng

BTC:1EYwcZ9cYVj6C9LMLafdcjK9wicVMDV376

Offline gyhy

• View Profile

Offline bytemaster

If someone wants to create a token and suggest it be honored after the final snapshot they are free to do so. 

Moving from PTS to DPOS or an asset on BTSX would require a final snapshot anyway.

It is ultimately the DAC creators that decide what to honor. 

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
2.5 weeks is not very much notice. We may have some very angry people show up in a month or two that don't check the forums often after they see the PTS value crashed. I personally think it would be better to do a snapshot then migrate to a DPoS network.

Another thing is in the future 20% of all DACs released will be owned by the same people. It is already bad enough to have 10% that way (AGS). Seeing as though some of the new DACs are only awarding 10%-20% from their pre sales, that means up to 90% of the genesis coins of future DACs new users will not be able to invest in and may affect the popularity and adoption of them.

We should learn from Nxt in this scenario.. If initial distribution of tokens is poor the coin will have low interest and adoption. Historically Nxt's volume is crap compared to the other coins in the top tier in terms of market cap. Even though they have a great product and are one of the most promising cryptocoin 2.0 projects, they are barely alive... under $30,000 in volume the past 24 hours.

There can still be up to 80% of all new DACs available to newcomers through a variety of distribution methods.

One whole year for people to watch PTS go through several snapshot cycles on coinmarketcap is plenty of opportunity to become a ground floor first-year industry founder.  The opportunity to lay the ground floor never lasts forever.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

lzr1900

Nov 5 PTS snapshot=AGS

Before:
1pts+1ags

Now:

2“ags”

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I also think PTS should migrate to DPOS and remain liquid.

I guess that could still be done (using the snapshot) at any point in the future.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
So this would leave both AGS and PTS working the exact same way:

The last AGS snapshot on July 18
The last PTS snapshot on Nov 5

But they both still function as unique demographic mailing lists for all new DAC categories.

Developers would choose whether their new DAC honors an existing category formerly derived 50/50 from PTS and AGS (like BTSX) or is a new category derived directly from PTS and AGS.

You mean November 5 for last PTS snap, right?

Edit:  Er, yes.  Fixed.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 02:43:33 pm by Stan »

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
I also think PTS should migrate to DPOS and remain liquid.

Offline Riverhead

I support this.

Likely it'll just die out but I already have all the PTS I plan on buying and am only holding them for future snapshots. If there is one final snapshot than I don't have to worry about accounting for dilution for each new announced DAC.

Offline cryptillionaire

• View Profile
Massively against continuing POW on PTS, it should be moved to DPOS ASAP.
The developers of new dacs would be perfect delegates.

I do think however, that snapshots for sharedrops shouldn't be limited to only PTS/AGS - the social consensus is that they each get 10% minimum, why not then snapshot other blockchains like bitcoin for 10%? It would bring a massive influx of new users!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 02:39:02 pm by cryptillionaire »

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
So this would leave both AGS and PTS working the exact same way:

The last AGS snapshot on July 18
The last PTS snapshot on Nov 5

But they both still function as unique demographic mailing lists for all new DAC categories.

Developers would choose whether their new DAC honors an existing category formerly derived 50/50 from PTS and AGS (like BTSX) or is a new category derived directly from PTS and AGS.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 02:44:01 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline CoinHoarder

• In Cryptocoins I Trust
    • View Profile
2.5 weeks is not very much notice. We may have some very angry people show up in a month or two that don't check the forums often after they see the PTS value crashed. I personally think it would be better to do a snapshot then migrate to a DPoS network.

Another thing is in the future 20% of all DACs released will be owned by the same people. It is already bad enough to have 10% that way (AGS). Seeing as though some of the new DACs are only awarding 10%-20% from their pre sales, that means up to 90% of the genesis coins of future DACs new users will not be able to invest in and may affect the popularity and adoption of them.

We should learn from Nxt in this scenario.. If initial distribution of tokens is poor the coin will have low interest and adoption. Historically Nxt's volume is crap compared to the other coins in the top tier in terms of market cap. Even though they have a great product and are one of the most promising cryptocoin 2.0 projects, they are barely alive... under $30,000 in volume the past 24 hours.
https://www.decentralized.tech/ -> Market Data, Portfolios, Information, Links, Reviews, Forums, Blogs, Etc.
https://www.cryptohun.ch/ -> Tradable Blockchain Asset PvP Card Game

Offline Frodo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: frodo
I think it would be much cleaner to simply end PTS... have DACS launch their own proto-dac like Toast did or even BTSX did.   

What do you mean by proto-dacs? Some sort of tradable IOUs prior to launch?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
So,DAC only wants to give AGS 10%,but under recommendation can also give 20% to the last PTS snapshot ?
no .. will be 10% / 10% .. as usual ..
makes 20% for the combined AGS+PTS snapshot