Author Topic: When did work on DPOS start?  (Read 1587 times)

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
If your stake can be delegated to a single block signer then old-fashioned DPOS provides the same security as TAPOS with 1% stake voter turnover per block. I think with approval voting that DPOS no longer has the same security properties as TAPOS in terms of stake-vote influence anymore, I think it's possible it could be strengthened by layering TAPOS on again.

Can you clarify what you mean here?

I have been a fan of layering TaPOS on top of DPOS for a while now, but not in terms of changing how the consensus chain is determined. The reasons I want it are:
  • It is a prerequisite to my implementation of delegate proposals ratified by shareholder vote.
  • It makes this attack vector impossible (although that attack would be very unlikely to be successful in the current DPOS system anyway).

arhag: wow  +5%

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
If your stake can be delegated to a single block signer then old-fashioned DPOS provides the same security as TAPOS with 1% stake voter turnover per block. I think with approval voting that DPOS no longer has the same security properties as TAPOS in terms of stake-vote influence anymore, I think it's possible it could be strengthened by layering TAPOS on again.

Can you clarify what you mean here?

I have been a fan of layering TaPOS on top of DPOS for a while now, but not in terms of changing how the consensus chain is determined. The reasons I want it are:
  • It is a prerequisite to my implementation of delegate proposals ratified by shareholder vote.
  • It makes this attack vector impossible (although that attack would be very unlikely to be successful in the current DPOS system anyway).

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
It was invented immediately after I visited Dan for spring break last March and I got to hear a lot of the process of inventing it.

Dan was still thinking in terms of TAPOS and faced the challenge of selecting block producers for short-term security (the chain is ultimately secured by stake-vote via transactions approving what they think the state is). There was a plan to develop a ripple-style consensus algorithm called Unity, and we considered just using a Trustee (timestamper) for TAPOS. The problem with both is that you can't easily replace the master nodes.

The key insight is that CDD applied to a particular block is the same as that piece of stake voting on each block from that chain as it sees it. If your stake can be delegated to a single block signer then old-fashioned DPOS provides the same security as TAPOS with 1% stake voter turnover per block. I think with approval voting that DPOS no longer has the same security properties as TAPOS in terms of stake-vote influence anymore, I think it's possible it could be strengthened by layering TAPOS on again.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline testz

I'm just curious what's the story behind it's invention and how long has it been working?

Also, how does it work from a technical point of view?

Thanks!

Please read about this at the wiki:
http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/DPOS
http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/The_History_of_BitShares
http://bitshares.org/delegated-proof-of-stake

Offline hughmanwho

• View Profile
I'm just curious what's the story behind it's invention and how long has it been working?

Also, how does it work from a technical point of view?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 08:22:45 pm by hughmanwho »