Author Topic: Lets just call it what it is: share dilution  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Mysto

• View Profile
I'm going to call it DCI Delegated Capital Infusion.
I think that makes the most sense to me. And by calling it "dilution" people just turn their brains off and won't investigate further. If you call it something new then they are more likely to investigate what it is and how it works. As appose to not investigating it at all and just using all the misconceptions they might already have.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 03:47:01 am by Mysto »

Offline Riverhead

I just don't think that real life people will even see any problem with the term "share dilution". Real investors in stocks etc. are used to that term, and know exactly what it means and why it's there. they might react by thinking we are hiding something or trying to trick them.

For the market we're after (bitUSD) most won't care about what the shares in the market are doing. For those that do care I agree they are used to share issuance to fund big changes or projects. The crypto heads freak out but that's OK. BTS is not a currency. It has no mandate to be deflationary.

If fractional reserves on assets becomes a thing then it's time to scream and yell.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
This is common in politics - each side picks a name that supports its point of view:

pro-choice vs. pro-life comes to mind.

So, I'm naturally going to call it Dynamic Value Infusion because thats the benefit I see for doing it and it describes the NET EFFECT you get from Value Added + Share Dilution.

But if you want to pick just half the story for your name to make your point, I recognize it as an effective rhetorical strategy.  :)

I just don't think that real life people will even see any problem with the term "share dilution". Real investors in stocks etc. are used to that term, and know exactly what it means and why it's there. Non tech savvy people will not know what it is, but they'll have no opinion about it anyway because they will not have ANY clue what's going on in the first place and every part of bitshares inner workings will confuse and scare them. It's only bitcoiners and people stuck in the bitcoin mentality that are completely freaked out by the term (despite bitcoin having INSANE share dilution). While these people right now are a significant group, they're also on the path to extinction, and thus shouldn't really be accomodated for any long term planning such as naming convention.

I just don't see any problem with it in the long run, and since it's already what everybody is saying, we might as well get comfortable using it. On the other hand, if we try to force a term on people, they might react by thinking we are hiding something or trying to trick them.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 01:16:00 am by Rune »

Xeldal

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
This is common in politics - each side picks a name that supports its point of view:

So, I'm naturally going to call it Dynamic Value Infusion because thats the benefit I see for doing it and it describes the NET EFFECT you get from Value Added + Share Dilution.

But if you want to pick just half the story for your name to make your point, I recognize it as an effective rhetorical strategy.  :)

+5% True that. We should decide on a decently neutral name when referring to the process in official documentation though.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
No matter what we "decide" to call it, it seems like people will just default to call it whatever is easiest and makes most sense, which will be share dilution. Language unfortunately isn't that easy to control :P

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
How about either "democratic share dilution" or "delegated share dilution". It softens it a bit without sounding like we're trying to cover it up.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
After having the discussion in another thread I made, it seems that pretty much no one can agree on whatever new name to call share dilution. Even after some people agree to a new term, I see them still using the word "dilution" when actually explaining it in action.

It seems to me like the scariness of the word has already more or less disappeared from this forum, as people are starting to understand what a massive advantage it is.

Real companies and stocks call it dilution, it shouldn't be a long term problem for us to do the same. It is after all pretty much the exact same thing.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 11:36:51 pm by Rune »