Author Topic: Cannabiscoin pegging 1 gram to 1 coin  (Read 10700 times)

Offline fuzzy

Negative publicity for one demographic is positive for another but you haven't figured this part out yet. If Bitshares X is going to catch on with millennials it has to be cool and right now it's not as cool as Counterparty.

+5% Wow. Very well said. Bitcoin was cool because it pushed boundaries and captured a lot of attention because of it. Bitshares should be pushing boundaries too, and capturing even more attention. Controversy is the best kind of marketing money can't buy. Case in point: Miley Cyrus.

Yeah, I get that. I see that there would be some publicity value. But Miley Cyrus' brand was already worth $1 Billion when she started acting dumb; she established herself first. If we act dumb, we're going to win the hearts of some stoners and sacrifice the possibility of much greater things.

Miley Cyrus isn't the best example but it's late and I'm not thinking straight. 8) Controversy is extremely effective marketing. Old people will shun us, young people will embrace us. You know, the more I think about it, it was mainstream controversy that caused all of Bitcoins major bubbles. Major media outlets were calling it drug money and every other slur you can think of yet the price kept skyrocketing because for the first time, Bitcoin was on the publics radar. It wasn't until this year that the mainstream seems to have accepted Bitcoin and is even attempting to embrace it... yet the price bleeds out. Hmmmm. We need controversy, whether it comes from BitCannabis or something else.

MeTHodX has a very good point.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
If you call it "BitShit", then I'm in.  ;)

What's that? A BitAsset tracking the price of fertilizer:)

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
If you call it "BitShit", then I'm in.  ;)

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Negative publicity for one demographic is positive for another but you haven't figured this part out yet. If Bitshares X is going to catch on with millennials it has to be cool and right now it's not as cool as Counterparty.

+5% Wow. Very well said. Bitcoin was cool because it pushed boundaries and captured a lot of attention because of it. Bitshares should be pushing boundaries too, and capturing even more attention. Controversy is the best kind of marketing money can't buy. Case in point: Miley Cyrus.

Yeah, I get that. I see that there would be some publicity value. But Miley Cyrus' brand was already worth $1 Billion when she started acting dumb; she established herself first. If we act dumb, we're going to win the hearts of some stoners and sacrifice the possibility of much greater things.

Miley Cyrus isn't the best example but it's late and I'm not thinking straight. 8) Controversy is extremely effective marketing. Old people will shun us, young people will embrace us. You know, the more I think about it, it was mainstream controversy that caused all of Bitcoins major bubbles. Major media outlets were calling it drug money and every other slur you can think of yet the price kept skyrocketing because for the first time, Bitcoin was on the publics radar. It wasn't until this year that the mainstream seems to have accepted Bitcoin and is even attempting to embrace it... yet the price bleeds out. Hmmmm. We need controversy, whether it comes from BitCannabis or something else.

Let's start with - 'Those guys are building a system that makes possible for everybody to sell his vote!'. This should be controversial enough for the media...

Do milennials care about that? Marketing is about appealing to a demographic.
You can't just talk about BitUSD without having some features to catch people's attention to Bitshares X.

BitUSD isn't interesting to people because Bitcoin already exists to compete for that attention. BitCannabis is something only Bitshares X could do and attention which would go exclusively to Bitshares X.

What do millennials want to trade?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Let's start with - 'Those guys are building a system that makes possible for everybody to sell his vote!'. This should be controversial enough for the media...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:48:01 am by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Guess what? The people who will say that already are saying bad stuff about Bitshares X or they don't pay attention to it at all. The people who would want to ban BitUSD also want to ban Bitcoin and every cryptocurrency.

And THAT'S the battle we're choosing to fight. Why introduce a second front for our 'war' when we could get this established first, having the right conversation with people about banks and exchanges and how BitShares changes everything? You're forcing Brian and all the rest of us to have to engage on stupid questions from clueless people who'll focus more on BitCannabis than on the attributes of BitShares that are 1000x better. Look, I'm a supporter of legalized MJ. And I think a BitCannabis would be really cool. But not here and now, when we're trying to frame this narrative for an audience that's much larger than CannabisCoin stoners. We need to make the right impression. 

Offline onceuponatime

Lets just forget about this.  We have more than enough markets to sell bitassets, there's no point going into a market that carries extra risk.

Why are you afraid of risk? If you're afraid of pissing a powerful person off why would you even download Bitshares X?

Choose your battles (and your timing) wisely.

Because you're an American who happens to be in a state which criminalized marijuana? So if you're not an American? If you're not from one of those states? I guess you'll be going straight to Counterparty which appeals to a global userbase without fear.

I think as a global blockchain you have to take these risks or the competitor will eat your lunch. If Bitshares X can do commodities better than any other technology and it ignores one of the biggest markets because someone in US congress may not like it then that is a sign of problems.

A benefit of being decentralized and global is that you can take these risks. If you're behind on cannabis then you're risking losing the critical millennial demographic in favor of a demographic which will never care about Bitshares or use it. I think this caution on cannabis appeals to the wrong audiences for the wrong reasons and fails to follow what the polls say.

The polls say this is what the millennials want: http://www.people-press.org/2013/04/04/marijuana-changing-attitudes/pp_13-04-03_ss_marijuana_05_age/

65% of millennials support marijuana legalization. Follow the statistics not your fear.

Home Grown

It seemed a smell to Banjo -- he
was sly and begged -- sitting up on tiny hind legs.

Button the cat hears the gentle tinkle,
gazing all around. It was close once -- now
only another experiment that failed.

To the doormouse, the nearest (and
furthest) was the green cheese -- and remained
so until proved differently. The snap of
the trap ended all speculation.

We watched the monkey swing through
the sparkling trees one morn, the dew and sun
creating a myriad of crystal cosmoses;
his nimble fingers failed to loose the eternal
zookeeper's lock.

Such as these my eyes perceive care
not -- cannot, solve the riddle; their place
is fixed, their fates are cast.

Mine perchance only slightly better.

Spiral of Friends
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:00:45 am by onceuponatime »

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
BitCannabis is far more useful than CannabisCoin because BitShares technology allows us to short BitCannabis. And with the trend towards legalization, shorting makes the most financial sense since it should get cheaper once the black market risk is priced out and corporations can take advantage of economies of scale.

And just to be clear: Delegates please do not publish price feeds on any BitCannabis, or BitDrugs in general, should anyone ever register it. We do not need that kind of negative publicity right now.

But you have to admit that Bitshares X wont get fair if it doesn't accept negative publicity. It's just going to happen sooner or later and the sooner you consilidate with your own demographic base the better off you'll be when it does happen. The only people who can politically protect the Bitshares technology from political attack are the political base of millenials who actually support legalization.

By not supporting your base you cannot be shocked that Counterparty now has the millennials. Now you cannot be surprised to see Overstock, Reddit, and probably many other big businesses run by millennials choosing Counterparty. Negative publicity for one demographic is positive for another but you haven't figured this part out yet. If Bitshares X is going to catch on with millennials it has to be cool and right now it's not as cool as Counterparty.

I made my views known, and so did others. If Counterparty continues to collect all the political and economic base then blame the thinking on display in your post and some others.

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
BitCannabis is far more useful than CannabisCoin because BitShares technology allows us to short BitCannabis. And with the trend towards legalization, shorting makes the most financial sense since it should get cheaper once the black market risk is priced out and corporations can take advantage of economies of scale.

And just to be clear: Delegates please do not publish price feeds on any BitCannabis, or BitDrugs in general, should anyone ever register it. We do not need that kind of negative publicity right now.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile

I'm not endorsing SilkRoad or BitDrugs.

But that's the take-away for many people. That's what they're going to say; that's the part that makes the news. Why endanger BitShares and its users this way? When you don't have to? Let this ecosystem establish itself and then draw a moving target on it. Don't do it now when we need to market this.

Guess what? The people who will say that already are saying bad stuff about Bitshares X or they don't pay attention to it at all. The people who would want to ban BitUSD also want to ban Bitcoin and every cryptocurrency.

Guess what? If you can't win over your own core demographic of millennials then all is already lost. If you think you can win by trying to appeal to 65 year olds who don't like pot then good luck. I'm just presenting the poll data and saying we should follow that rather than gut instincts about how the curmudgeons might react to new technology.

BitCannabis by the way would be nothing like SilkRoad. SilkRoad was way more than just cannabis and even then it didn't get Bitcoin banned. I'm not advocating any laws be broken (SilkRoad broke laws), but just having BitCannabis doesn't break laws. It might upset some people who already don't like Bitcoin but so what?  You think they'll ever like Bitshares?

I think it will be best if we create bitCannabiscoin on BTSX that will be paged to Cannabiscoin this way we will make a derivative market on the Cannabiscoin pegging 1 gram to 1 coin promise and will let people speculate on it's future  value , this way we will offer a valuable service for Cannabiscoin community (opening shorts) and in the same time will increase our users base and BTSX value as a  hole.

That is exactly what I was suggesting. It's up to people who think like you to point out that some of the other posters are being irrational.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 02:01:40 am by luckybit »

Offline forestalnet

• View Profile

I have an idea... we could peg the Winklevoos ETF ... the name?  BitWink !!

Offline srcgpsmp

• View Profile
I think it will be best if we create bitCannabiscoin on BTSX that will be paged to Cannabiscoin this way we will make a derivative market on the Cannabiscoin pegging 1 gram to 1 coin promise and will let people speculate on it's future  value , this way we will offer a valuable service for Cannabiscoin community (opening shorts) and in the same time will increase our users base and BTSX value as a  hole.