Author Topic: Cannabiscoin pegging 1 gram to 1 coin  (Read 10605 times)

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx

I'm not endorsing SilkRoad or BitDrugs.

But that's the take-away for many people. That's what they're going to say; that's the part that makes the news. Why endanger BitShares and its users this way? When you don't have to? Let this ecosystem establish itself and then draw a moving target on it. Don't do it now when we need to market this.

I'm not taking one side or the other but if we got massive negative press from this it would result in our market cap instantly going to second place. I can almost guarantee that. I don't think any crypto that genuinely disrupts the current paradigm can ever expect to avoid controversy.

Bri would be off the hook...but the delgates on the other hand...

BitUSD will probably be banned in America if/when it goes viral; I wonder how the delegates will react to that? Will they be legally liable for merely facilitating transactions? Can a BitAsset ever be banned in the first place? Can a BitAsset drug ever be banned? I mean, we're talking about crypto derivatives and not the real thing so how will the law react? When you really think about it, it's interesting isn't it?

Offline fuzzy

But that's the take-away for many people. That's what they're going to say; that's the part that makes the news. Why endanger BitShares and its users this way? When you don't have to? Let this ecosystem establish itself and then draw a moving target on it. Don't do it now when we need to market this.

I'm not taking one side or the other but if we got massive negative press from this it would result in our market cap instantly going to second place. I can almost guarantee that. I don't think any crypto that genuinely disrupts the current paradigm can ever expect to avoid controversy.

Bri would be off the hook...but the delgates on the other hand...
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline fuzzy

bitHemp will not be THAT dangerous...

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Offline fuzzy

Then why are we having this discussion? Lets just do it?

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Can someone explain why this community would want to voluntarily associate with controlled/illegal substances?

It would be a terrible idea to introduce BitDrugs to Bitshares but I'm discussing this because I think it would be a fascinating experiment on a separate blockchain. Can you imagine a BTSX clone that's basically a forex market for trading BitAsset drugs? BitCannabis, BitCocain, BitLSD. It would be a totally legal prediction market for discovering the true value of a forbidden substance. Just like BitUSD isn't real USD, BitCannabis isn't real cannabis (just a digital token representing it's real world value). I think it's fun to have these discussions, purely out of scientific curiosity.
AMERICA SUPPORTS LEGALIZATION: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/03/marijuana-legalization-support_n_5760462.html

The key difference is that BitCannabis has political support as shown by polls. "Drugs" in general do not have political support as shown by polls. If you do market research you'll find that millenials (our core demographic) want marijuana legalization which means there is a market for BitCannabis which will passionately defend it in the voting booth. There isn't a market to defend "BitDrugs".

So I'm only saying we should have a BitCannabis and forget about the other drugs until the polls shift and show that millennials support legalization of those drugs. If you're not going to listen to your demographic base by following polls then you're acting irrationally. Even politicians in government make decisions based around polls so even they are more rational about this than some here.

Ultimately this irrationality is going to be punished by the market because the market favors the bold. When over 60% of millennials are in favor of something and they are our core demographic then to disobey them is to go against your core demographic. That makes it irrational from a marketing and strategic development standpoint.

I'm not endorsing SilkRoad or BitDrugs. I'm only endorsing BitCannabis because the people who matter the most to the success of all future DACs support legalization. If I don't listen to them then I'm not being a good representative of their interests. I do understand the arguments that maybe it shouldn't be done right before the election and that the timing could be bad but I think a quiet launch of BitCannabis could attract all the right kind of people to Bitshares X because they are the kind of people who will use Bitshares X for the long term.

I only ask that a rational case be presented for why we should ignore the will of our core demographic. The politicians you're afraid of aren't ignoring the will of their core demographic and the fact that marijuana is legal in some places is proof that even their core demographic is changing their opinions.

I know you're only endorsing the issuance of BitCannabis on the Bitshares Exchange platform. If this were put to a vote I would absolutely vote in favor because I'm into Bitshares for philosophic reasons more than getting rich quick. I'm just saying I think it would be ridiculously cool to have a forex market for day trading BitAsset drugs. Purely as an intellectual thought experiment.

I agree it would be cool to have a Forex which can trade stuff like that and we here all see the big picture. But before we do something in my opinion you should first check the political pulse of your nation (Bitshares nation is populated by millennials). If you check that pulse and it's telling you to endorse CannabisCoin then that should tell you to endorse it because that is how politicians make decisions. I only mention this because a lot of people reading this are probably delegates and they need to know not to make decisions based on fear of powerful 65 year olds who are not their political supporters. The delegates have to make rational decisions based on what their voting base supports and we all know that our base of shareholders would love to have a BitCannabis.

I do think perhaps you could get into some issues with some older people so why not just call it BitHemp at first and see how that goes? Can we at least have BitHemp on Bitshares X?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:23:14 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
Can someone explain why this community would want to voluntarily associate with controlled/illegal substances?

It would be a terrible idea to introduce BitDrugs to Bitshares but I'm discussing this because I think it would be a fascinating experiment on a separate blockchain. Can you imagine a BTSX clone that's basically a forex market for trading BitAsset drugs? BitCannabis, BitCocain, BitLSD. It would be a totally legal prediction market for discovering the true value of a forbidden substance. Just like BitUSD isn't real USD, BitCannabis isn't real cannabis (just a digital token representing it's real world value). I think it's fun to have these discussions, purely out of scientific curiosity.
AMERICA SUPPORTS LEGALIZATION: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/03/marijuana-legalization-support_n_5760462.html

The key difference is that BitCannabis has political support as shown by polls. "Drugs" in general do not have political support as shown by polls. If you do market research you'll find that millenials (our core demographic) want marijuana legalization which means there is a market for BitCannabis which will passionately defend it in the voting booth. There isn't a market to defend "BitDrugs".

So I'm only saying we should have a BitCannabis and forget about the other drugs until the polls shift and show that millennials support legalization of those drugs. If you're not going to listen to your demographic base by following polls then you're acting irrationally. Even politicians in government make decisions based around polls so even they are more rational about this than some here.

Ultimately this irrationality is going to be punished by the market because the market favors the bold. When over 60% of millennials are in favor of something and they are our core demographic then to disobey them is to go against your core demographic. That makes it irrational from a marketing and strategic development standpoint.

I'm not endorsing SilkRoad or BitDrugs. I'm only endorsing BitCannabis because the people who matter the most to the success of all future DACs support legalization. If I don't listen to them then I'm not being a good representative of their interests. I do understand the arguments that maybe it shouldn't be done right before the election and that the timing could be bad but I think a quiet launch of BitCannabis could attract all the right kind of people to Bitshares X because they are the kind of people who will use Bitshares X for the long term.

I only ask that a rational case be presented for why we should ignore the will of our core demographic. The politicians you're afraid of aren't ignoring the will of their core demographic and the fact that marijuana is legal in some places is proof that even their core demographic is changing their opinions.

I know you're only endorsing the issuance of BitCannabis on the Bitshares Exchange platform. If this were put to a vote I would absolutely vote in favor because I'm into Bitshares for philosophic reasons more than getting rich quick. I'm just saying I think it would be ridiculously cool to have a forex market for day trading BitAsset drugs. Purely as an intellectual thought experiment.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile

AMERICA SUPPORTS LEGALIZATION:
The survey, released last week from online polling data company CivicScience, asked more than 450,000 U.S. adults over the last two years this question: "Would you support or oppose a law in your state that would legalize, tax, and regulate marijuana like alcohol?"

Fifty-eight percent of respondents said they support marijuana legalization -- with 39 percent saying they "strongly support" and 19 percent saying they "somewhat support" reformed marijuana laws in their states. Thirty-five percent oppose legalization of marijuana -- with 29 percent "strongly" opposing and 6 percent "somewhat" opposing laws that would regulate marijuana like alcohol. Seven percent of respondents had no opinion on the issue.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/03/marijuana-legalization-support_n_5760462.html

ONLY AMERICANS OVER AGE 65 OPPOSE LEGALIZATION:

Men were found to be slightly more in favor of legalization than women were, by 60 to 55 percent, according to CivicScience's survey data. Support for legalization was strongest among people ages 25-34; the only age group in which the majority of people opposed legalization was those over 65.

Ultimately this irrationality of the Bitshares community is going to be punished by the market because the market favors the bold. When over 60% of millennials are in favor of something and they are our core demographic then to disobey them is to go against your core demographic. That makes it irrational from a marketing and strategic development standpoint.

REASONING 101:

All models of our demographics show that most support for Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies come from the same demographics that supports marijuana legalization. The demographic of people who say they'll never use Bitcoin just happens to be the same demographic that opposes marijuana legalization. So you're telling me it's rational to try to impress our grandparents as a marketing strategy when they'll probably never use these technologies anyway? And even if they do use it they wont be using it in large numbers anytime soon.

THIS ISN'T ABOUT DRUGS, IT IS ABOUT FOLLOWING THE POLL DATA:

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:17:34 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code

Maybe we shouldn't introduce BitDrugs to Bitshares (I don't care, whatever) but I'm discussing this because I think it would be a fascinating experiment on a separate blockchain. Can you imagine a BTSX clone that's basically a forex market for trading BitAsset drugs? BitCannabis, BitCocain, BitLSD. It would be a totally legal prediction market for discovering the true value of a forbidden substance. Just like BitUSD isn't real USD, BitCannabis isn't real cannabis (just a digital token representing it's real world value). I think it's fun to have these discussions, purely out of scientific curiosity.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
Dont worry guys and girls...there is plenty of time for "darkshares" to come out sharedropping on bts holders 50% to gain Maximum allegiance from bts holders and the voting demographic they grow to represent.

Those living in jurisdictions where the risk is low will buy the heck out of them as those living in "free" states like the USA will dump the hell out of them and buy regular bts out of fear of being detained indefinitely without trial or charge (see NDAA 2011). Then both chains will flourish and the innovations from each can be adopted by the other..

Like onceuponatime says...choose your battles...and the timing wisely. Ive unfortunately learned this the hard way on these very forums.  Damn wise imho.

This is why I kept some XCP. Counterparty will go where Bitshares X is afraid to go.
Millennials seem to flock to Counterparty precisely because of this so don't be surprised at the moves by Overstock, Reddit, and other big businesses chasing after that demographic.

It's just a matter of time before pot is legal everywhere. As long as it's illegal in most places, having a BitCannabis would be one more reason for regulators to take a tough stance on BitShares. You want to have gateways with banks and stuff, then this is something you don't do. Ain't worth it.

THIS BEHAVIOR IS IRRATIONAL.

I never wanted Bitshares to become a gateway to banks. I never said I want Bitshares X to become Ripple 2.0. You're saying you want Bitshares X to be like Ripple and cater to regulators.

Regulation is fine when regulation is required but regulators don't have any legal jurisdiction over which BitAssets exist on the Bitshares X chain. Giving them phantom authority over what BitAssets exist on the chain is marketing to authority rather than the demographic that matters.

I see BitCannabis as good marketing for Bitshares X. It might attract the attention of certain people in authority who don't like it but the fact that Bitshares X exists at all and isn't making them money is attracting attention already.  Do you see any of these authorities providing any support to Bitsharex X?

Maybe if Bitshares VOTE is accepted by the government then I could understand this stance but right now it seems like the Bitshares community is choosing to give market share to Counterparty out of fear of what someone in some government might think of a BitAsset. I'm pointing out that it is not rational behavior to make a global decision over fear of a local authority and it makes even less sense when the authorities even admit that the tide is turning.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:58:58 pm by luckybit »

Offline fuzzy

It's just a matter of time before pot is legal everywhere. As long as it's illegal in most places, having a BitCannabis would be one more reason for regulators to take a tough stance on BitShares. You want to have gateways with banks and stuff, then this is something you don't do. Ain't worth it.

This.
+5%

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

This.

Offline fuzzy

Dont worry guys and girls...there is plenty of time for "darkshares" to come out sharedropping on bts holders 50% to gain Maximum allegiance from bts holders and the voting demographic they grow to represent.

Those living in jurisdictions where the risk is low will buy the heck out of them as those living in "free" states like the USA will dump the hell out of them and buy regular bts out of fear of being detained indefinitely without trial or charge (see NDAA 2011). Then both chains will flourish and the innovations from each can be adopted by the other..

Like onceuponatime says...choose your battles...and the timing wisely. Ive unfortunately learned this the hard way on these very forums.  Damn wise imho.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:09:16 pm by fuzzy »

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
This is the sort of thing we could do after we successfully separate "BTS the platform" from any bitshares applications. ETH has the advantage that people understanding it is a neutral, egalitarian technology platform.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.