Author Topic: Cap capital infusion at the rate bitcoin uses ?  (Read 1924 times)

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
I would also like to see our dilution rate be equal to or below that of bitcoin's, for PR purposes.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
Good thinking, I just made this point in the Gold 2.0 vs. Shares 2.0 thread:

Here's another way to look at it: Bitcoin uses inflation to kickstart security. Bitshares can use inflation to kickstart viral growth. Since a DPOS blockchain is extremely secure and costs next to nothing to maintain, funding viral growth should be a no brainer.

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
Idea 2 - (Partially stolen from someone's comment in a thread) - Last idea for the day, I promise.

Mimic Bitcoin's inflation ?

I understand a lot of our targeted demographic is not crypto people, but it would be an effective tactic to hush critics.  It is also a bit of a marketing point.  Sweeten's the medicine.

"We're doing no different than what Bitcoin does, we just put the money back into development and growing the network instead!"

Something like that.... thoughts ?

I can see where you're coming from, it is what a competitor to BTS may look like.

But for BitShares, with the change from 2 Billion, BitShares won't have the credibility to gain value from that anyway. The market will say, 'you already changed your mind once'

So it would only hinder BitShares from being able to be a fully flexible and adaptive DAC without adding much value on the confidence & certainty side.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:26:08 pm by Empirical1.1 »

Offline roadscape

Well I did put in the title "cap".  My post might have suggested otherwise.

It is quite obvious that the extra shares to maximize the value provided.  Call it tactical, call it obvious, call it whatever you wish. 

You still need to sell this idea and you're going to hear a lot of scammer this, scammer that from outside.  FUD spreaders.  When you can just show up and say "we never inflate as much as Bitcoin" it makes it hard for them to continue their crusade.

I see where you're coming from. But it's hard enough for the community to swallow this, much less outsiders. I don't think it's worth the fight. Plus, the acquisition metaphor could be a useful marketing pitch.

Outsiders can laugh all they want, joke will be on them within a few months IMO
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Well I did put in the title "cap".  My post might have suggested otherwise.

It is quite obvious that the extra shares to maximize the value provided.  Call it tactical, call it obvious, call it whatever you wish. 

You still need to sell this idea and you're going to hear a lot of scammer this, scammer that from outside.  FUD spreaders.  When you can just show up and say "we never inflate as much as Bitcoin" it makes it hard for them to continue their crusade.

I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline roadscape

From a company perspective, inflation should be tactical, not uncontrolled.
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline gamey

• View Profile
We don't need such a high 'share issuance' rate, it's not worth having it that high just to have a simple comparison to bitcoin.  Better to have much less and for it to be well allocated.

Well, it is more than a simple comparison.  It re-frames the whole argument to others in terms of what is already accepted to most crypto people.  Although I think you are right, it might be too much, but then it might not be with the block halving coming up soon.

Offline matt608

• View Profile
We don't need such a high 'share issuance' rate, it's not worth having it that high just to have a simple comparison to bitcoin.  Better to have much less and for it to be well allocated.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Idea 2 - (Partially stolen from someone's comment in a thread) - Last idea for the day, I promise.

Mimic Bitcoin's inflation ?

I understand a lot of our targeted demographic is not crypto people, but it would be an effective tactic to hush critics.  It is also a bit of a marketing point.  Sweeten's the medicine.

"We're doing no different than what Bitcoin does, we just put the money back into development and growing the network instead!"

Something like that.... thoughts ?