Author Topic: For 10% dilution, how much are we really talking?  (Read 2233 times)

Offline bytemaster

2500 BTS per block max.
So the newly created shares are fixed and the distribution depends on the votes of the "business delegates"?
No, this would be a big mistake. We have to vote on delegates and their services one by one.

Maybe one delegate wants to do the website, they ask for X shares per block.

another does the forum

another marketing

another development

This is true and full transparency, fantastic

So it'll be implemented more like a negative burn that is tied to the individual delegate ..

delegate 1 makes 50% "injection" -> 1250 BTSX per block
delegate 2 makes 100% "injection" -> 2500BTSX per block

Is that about right?

Im not a coder but i have a good knowledge of business and economics. My opinion is that the share dilution should not be fixed to the maximum. New projects will come all through the year. We don't want to support one and then regret it because another good one comes along, we need to be able to support both (in reality 10's of different ones all starting and potentially finishing at different times of the year)

We are not limiting our ability to this rate.... this is just the safety net until we get voter turn out high enough and shares distributed widely enough and market cap high enough to make it near impossible for someone to perform a hostile take over and issue themselves the moon.

We do have a relatively "hard" limit at 10 Billion shares due to the limits of 64 bit numbers used in the system.. ie: it would require a very hard fork to go beyond that number.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline stuartcharles

• View Profile
2500 BTS per block max.
So the newly created shares are fixed and the distribution depends on the votes of the "business delegates"?
No, this would be a big mistake. We have to vote on delegates and their services one by one.

another does the forum

another marketing

another development

So it'll be implemented more like a negative burn that is tied to the individual delegate ..

Is that about right?

Im not a coder but i have a good knowledge of business and economics. My opinion is that the share dilution should not be fixed to the maximum. New projects will come all through the year. We don't want to support one and then regret it because another good one comes along, we need to be able to support both (in reality 10's of different ones all starting and potentially finishing at different times of the year)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
2500 BTS per block max.

another does the forum

another marketing

another development

Is that about right?

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
At 2500 per block max, then the percentage of possible dilution declines over time, if supply grows.  (Just like in bitcoin).

It doesnt go exponentially increasing.  its only a linear increase.

Alright, this makes the most sense to me so far. Soo...250 million max per year? And do we expect to max this out each year, resulting in 5 billion BTS supply by 2024?

I suppose it's hard to guesstimate how much of the 250 million max would be infused each year, depending on how much the shareholders are willing to allow and what plans are needing funding at any given time, right?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 07:11:24 pm by nomoreheroes7 »

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
At 2500 per block max, then the percentage of possible dilution declines over time, if supply grows.  (Just like in bitcoin).

It doesnt go exponentially increasing.  its only a linear increase.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline stuartcharles

• View Profile
2500 BTS per block max.

another does the forum

another marketing

another development

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 06:59:17 pm by stuartcharles »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
2500 BTS per block max.

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
If the dilution cap per year is set to 10%, does this mean that the first year will see 250 million BTS dilution, the next year 275 million more BTS, and so on? Or does this just mean up to 10% is possible, but not necessary?

And for how long would this continue? Could we expect a total supply of 6,484,356,150 BTS in 10 years (based on compounding 10% for 10 years starting at 2.5 billion)?

I'm all for dilution, but over-dilution frightens me a bit. Hoping I'm misunderstanding something (burn rate offsetting it, perhaps?)