Author Topic: Why are we Here? Why BitShares? Why this community? Why Me?  (Read 22942 times)

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcrab
  • GitHub: bitcrab
Smartcoin + high performance exchange,  in my view this is the core competence of Bitshares.

blockchain concept create many possibilities,  for most widespread cryptocurrency Bitcoin maybe the No.1,  for smart contract and DApp Ethereum may be the first choice, however regarding pegged digital assets and decentralized exchange, Bitshares come to user's mind firstly.

each platform should focus on something, to do everything always means nothing can be done best.

Why I am still here?  it's not easy to answer. I think because I feel Bitshares still have potential to play an important role in the blockchain/cryptocurrency  industry,  there are things to be done and worth doing.

and I still haven't made enough money here, I should finish this task.
Email:bitcrab@qq.com

Offline mangou007

Asking for a why is a very tough question to answer...

Of course some of the debates we have right now are just short term debate in order to make things work, but any motor even the most powerful ones always need a sparkle to start running.

BitShares is a big fat quick motor, the sparkle has to be consequent!!! IMO there are more important things to do than just complying to the short term objectives, but these are necessary in order to achieve the bigger picture. Sometimes we need little messages in order to draw attention and people finally get the overall message...

We are all here for various reasons, some want the bitshare to go up quick get rich and buy an island, some want to change the world where everyone will be free and happy... No matter in which direction you go, we all have to work in the same direction which is making BitShares HUGE....

The thing is that you have created one of the most powerful tool and trying to sell it... And with this tool we are trying to get people who do not want to change the world but making money! This is it...
BitShares is so much more than a tool but how to explain that is another story...
BitShares French ConneXion, le portail francophone de BitShares
BitShares French ConneXion, the BitShares French gateway
www.bitsharesfcx.com

Offline wallace

• View Profile
give me money, I will do...

Offline Musewhale

• 丑,实在是太丑了 !
    • View Profile
MUSE witness:mygoodfriend     vote for me

Offline lovejoy

• View Profile
    • Cryptofresh
  • BitShares: lovejoy
The internet and information-technology is completely alien to human civilization and we're only barely beginning to see its complete unfolding and restructuring of traditional values and cultures. Bitcoin has an essential role to play in this narrative being the seed of a native value for this alien web of interconnections. We take this achievement to heart and accelerate and generalize its impact to include complete financial independence starting with the essential exchange of value. These and associated information technologies will ensure that economic friction will approach zero as the internet matures. We are a potentially essential piece in an event of unimaginable significance. To downplay the role of both decentralization and anonymity in building an exchange is to mispercieve the exponential future of value transfers and the impossibility of traditional structures to adapt adequately. Decentralized exchange, prediction markets and equity crowd-funding and other things beside.. Imagine how Wikipedia, the Pirate Party, Anonymous, and all other internet natives are free to flourish when value flows freely. We fear our weakness now, but soon we'll fear our strength.

Sure this exchange business will be a dry day-job for the foreseeable future, and our grand vision will have to rest, but maximizing financial independence and minimizing economic friction is likely one of the most rational things to do if we evaluate our options according to effective altruism. We also can't build the future before the foundation is in place; creating the architecture and platform was the right thing to do. There are millions of passionate activists bleeding their heart out for various causes, but to really make a dent in the world one needs an aptitude for inspired shortcuts through space and time, like that Elon Musk who by creating PayPal was going straight to Mars.

Here is how I described "our" WHY, inspired by spending about two years surrounded by ideas and the persistence of Daniel and many others here. It took a long time to to really stand behing them. If one changes perspectives too quickly he probably never has an own perspective. So stay persistent ;)

WHY
We are convinced that hierarchical structures in the form of states and the explicit and subtle form of violence associated is not the only possible (least evil) way to "run society". We are concerned about what technology can do in the hands of centralized power (surveillance). Yet at the same time technology has the potential to make possible a peaceful revolution providing a more effective and less violent way to coordinate interests and regulate society.
Blockchain technology has the potential to not only disrupt the financial industry but to reduce the need for governmental regulation to protect citizens. 
Disrupting the financial industry needs a wider vision about what technology can do for society and in which way it can take over functions of the state because the financial industry and the wider financial and monetary system are explicitly bound to and a part of the state.
It would be fatal to ignore reality if you are serious about the purpose of freedom: In order to have a lasting effect blockchain solutions have to be designed for the masses which implies high scalability, an intuitive user experience (simplicity) and an approach that pays respect to existing regulatory constraints. We are committed to profitability and maximizing capital efficiency in order to reach our goals with the necessary endurance and capital.

We have some great philosopher / writers in this community!  This thread is full of amazing examples, but these two... dayum.

The two combine rather nicely into a tidy little manifesto of sorts... and reads like something from the early days of crimethinc. ;)

Which sets me to pondering..  8)  (to be continued in a different thread)

Offline GaltReport

Here is how I described "our" WHY, inspired by spending about two years surrounded by ideas and the persistence of Daniel and many others here. It took a long time to to really stand behing them. If one changes perspectives too quickly he probably never has an own perspective. So stay persistent ;)

WHY
We are convinced that hierarchical structures in the form of states and the explicit and subtle form of violence associated is not the only possible (least evil) way to "run society". We are concerned about what technology can do in the hands of centralized power (surveillance). Yet at the same time technology has the potential to make possible a peaceful revolution providing a more effective and less violent way to coordinate interests and regulate society.
Blockchain technology has the potential to not only disrupt the financial industry but to reduce the need for governmental regulation to protect citizens. 
Disrupting the financial industry needs a wider vision about what technology can do for society and in which way it can take over functions of the state because the financial industry and the wider financial and monetary system are explicitly bound to and a part of the state.
It would be fatal to ignore reality if you are serious about the purpose of freedom: In order to have a lasting effect blockchain solutions have to be designed for the masses which implies high scalability, an intuitive user experience (simplicity) and an approach that pays respect to existing regulatory constraints. We are committed to profitability and maximizing capital efficiency in order to reach our goals with the necessary endurance and capital.

Nice!!

Offline btstip

• View Profile
  • BitShares: btstip-io
Hey Tuck Fheman, here are the results of your tips...
  • delulo: has been credited 1 FISTBUMP
Curious about BtsTip? Visit us at http://btstip.io and start tipping BTS on https://bitsharestalk.org/ today!
Created by hybridd

Tuck Fheman

WHY

tl;dr Fuck The Man! =)

#btstip "delulo" 1 FISTBUMP

Offline milkmeat

• View Profile
  • BitShares: milkmeat
The reason I am here is that I think all POW crypto currencies are not sustainable. While I am looking for alternatives I found BTS. Its POS model is still so far the best one and answer a lot of my questions.

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

WHY

Well stated!  +5%
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

WHY

+1000  Very well written :)
Thanks!

Although I don't like parts of the style there is a lot to be learned from this guy (how and why to tell why-us-stories that convince others and open their rational minds for WHAT you do): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3XxIZVEXaw
I have listened to this a few times. Well worth it!

Offline bytemaster

WHY

+1000  Very well written :)
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

WHY

Offline topcandle

You have fotally tucked up this thread.
we are testing a tipping bot here, not the cry of BM over how to make the community pay 45,000 while making said community truly believing they paid for some ideology stuff!

Would anybody here care if BM went out and got a proper job and continued BitShares as a hobby until CNX gets a gig? @bytemaster if this is the concern, would you be open to that?

That'd be the death knell for Bitshares. 
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

unreadPostsSinceLastVisit

You have fotally tucked up this thread.
we are testing a tipping bot here, not the cry of BM over how to make the community pay 45,000 while making said community truly believing they paid for some ideology stuff!

Question.

Would anybody here care if BM went out and got a proper job and continued BitShares as a hobby until CNX gets a gig? @bytemaster if this is the concern, would you be open to that?

Yes, development would be delayed significantly, but it ain't like the revolution is coming anytime soon- and we don't need our dude to be stressing about bills and shit, I know the tight feeling in your chest like your heart's about to explode that comes from that. IT SUCKS. I actually went to the ER because of it a few months ago only to be told "anxiety." I was shocked because up until that point I didn't really think anxiety was something that could manifest physically. I stand corrected as fuck.

I wouldn't wish it on anybody, not even the Koch brothers. Okay, I might have wished it on William Randolph Hearst, but he's dead.

That strikes me as a better option than trying to source funds from our little circle jerk of a community for the time being.