Author Topic: Theft incident happened on bit-u.com @ DigitalOcean  (Read 27360 times)

Offline marketp2p

• View Profile
Please, dont. Paying him you are encouraging more people to shout and cry.

I am doing this to help silfax out because his courage of staying here cleaning up the mess is commendable. I also feel partially responsible because I created this thread, probably a little bit prematurely.

I believe very few can reach the level of annoyance TwoKoolFourSkewl achieved, it feels like a school kid just lost his lunch money and made a big scene out of it.

Anyway, I am locking this thread so for future cry babies, please take your matter elsewhere.

Offline Alcor

• View Profile
How much BTC was lost? 34 or so? I'm pretty sure Silfax can easily cover that amount himself because I know he's been in this game for a while now. I had 67.876 PTS worth of coins on the exchange and received 39.36836715 PTS back, so I'm still expecting to receive about 28.5 PTS back in my wallet. My wallet address is in my sig below, I don't care about receiving 1 PTS more or less but I can't accept losing the entire 28.5 PTS that were stolen from me. Please consider that those of us who have lost more than a few dollars have every reason to be upset.
PpHcHqL1teSumfYHugSvkikzoiowtczyWn

Offline Silfax

• View Profile
42% of royalblue137@gmx.com's final balance is 44.8945637 PTS.

Offline TwoKoolFourSkewl

• Easy as One, Too, Three...
    • View Profile
    • RippleGiveaway.com
Sure marketp2p, I have no problem if you want to take on Silfax's responsibilities.  Send 44.89080537 protoshares to PqNMYYkjagWKaxShxpX4ussz7mkmcu7mpN and 0.0000463 bitcoin to 1KHzhFDZv7wzc95TCcGEkh4TrCLirbi5z7.

I'll pay if:   
  a) You stop whining about this on this forum.
  b) Silfax can confirm this is the correct amount he owes you.

Also, I don't think paying 0.0000463 btc makes any sense because it's less than the required network transaction fee.

I'm not whining, but if you pay me, I will quit talking about it.  With 0.0000463 btc, I could have purchased 0.00463 protoshares @ the rate of 0.01 btc/pts.

44.89080537 pts + 0.00463 (bitcoin converted into pts) = 44.89543537 protoshares

Send 44.89543537 pts to PqNMYYkjagWKaxShxpX4ussz7mkmcu7mpN.
RippleGiveaway.com - Home of the Ripple Faucet!

Offline yago

• View Profile
I'll pay if:   

Please, dont. Paying him you are encouraging more people to shout and cry.
http://bitsharestalk.org/donate.html  <---- Donate to the BitShares Forum ----> PforumPLfVQXTi4QpQqKwoChXHkoHcxGuA

Offline marketp2p

• View Profile
Sure marketp2p, I have no problem if you want to take on Silfax's responsibilities.  Send 44.89080537 protoshares to PqNMYYkjagWKaxShxpX4ussz7mkmcu7mpN and 0.0000463 bitcoin to 1KHzhFDZv7wzc95TCcGEkh4TrCLirbi5z7.

I'll pay if:   
  a) You stop whining about this on this forum.
  b) Silfax can confirm this is the correct amount he owes you.

Also, I don't think paying 0.0000463 btc makes any sense because it's less than the required network transaction fee.

Offline TwoKoolFourSkewl

• View Profile
    • RippleGiveaway.com
Bitshirehashaway,

Obviously, you're incapable of comprehending the written word.  I said it wasn't his customers' problem that he got hacked and that he is stealing from his customers to pay his liabilities.  This of course is assuming he really got hacked, which I find highly questionable.  Why did he put a deadline on claiming your "58%" redemption (which wasn't really 58%)?  He's never stated he's filed a police report.  He expects us to believe that someone hacked a website thats ONLY function was serving as a PTS/BTC exchange and they didn't know what protoshares were and didn't think they were worth stealing?  Really?!  lol

I'm sure he took the bitcoin.  I KNOW FOR A FACT that he stole other peoples' protoshares to pay for his liabilities.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 03:56:30 am by TwoKoolFourSkewl »

Offline TwoKoolFourSkewl

• View Profile
    • RippleGiveaway.com
Well said, bitshirehashaway.

At this point, I don't believe this is a self-directed show made by silfax, I have to give him some credit in handling this situation.

@TwoKoolFourSkewl:  Money is not everything, please don't overplay your victim card.
Put up your address, I'll pay for him, if that can make you shut up.

Offline bitshirehashaway

• View Profile

At this point, I don't believe this is a self-directed show made by silfax, I have to give him some credit in handling this situation.

@TwoKoolFourSkewl:  Money is not everything, please don't overplay your victim card.

Thanks,
Yes he seems to be working pretty hard to handle the situation.

Also, I'm not too sure you want to give away a few hundred $ because someone wined a bunch but that is your choice :)

Offline marketp2p

• View Profile

« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 08:23:39 pm by marketp2p »

Offline bitshirehashaway

• View Profile
You're assuming he still has those funds and they weren't taken from him - like he said.

Not everyone can just pay for the funds out of their own pocket and it will take time. I actually agree with him giving everyone 58% of their funds rather than giving the Bitcoin people nothing and the PTS people everything. I also liked bytemaster's idea of having everyone post what percent of a haircut their willing to get and those willing to get the largest haircut getting paid back first.

You guys have said you're willing to be patient yet here you are nagging at him constantly. I managed to get all my PTS & BTC out of the exchange before this happened - with has supported a lesson someone told me a while ago when I was first getting involved - you're PTS and BTC are much safer with you in your wallet (hence why I'm currently unhappy that Bter is blocking PTS withdrawals for me).

I believe Silfax should do the haircut thing and try and pay back as many people as possible. He should then figure out how much he owes people and begin working his best to pay that back.

I think nagging at him or telling him he needs to file for bankruptcy or stuff like that - no matter how valid it may be - will just encourage him to walk away (since you guys don't know his real name so it will be difficult for you to track him) and then just put it all behind him. And that I'm certainly guessing is what you guys don't want to happen.

Plus if he can determine it was a DO employee he can most likely sue DO for reimbursement at current prices (which means you all would have made some profit while waiting because of stable PTS prices but rising BTC prices.

And to Silfax: If you need any help at tracking down people PM me details. I personally am not the best but I have some friends who are very good at getting around these kind of hidden things. These are white hat guys though, so you'll need to include solid evidence for a good reason for them to be doing this hacking/tracing down.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 07:00:26 pm by bitshirehashaway »

Offline TwoKoolFourSkewl

• View Profile
    • RippleGiveaway.com
When the exchange closed there was a buy in for 300 PTS @ .009(2.7 BTC) and maybe 2 more buys for a total of around .05 BTC.  There were several hundred PTS still on the board, I estimate 300-500.  These are all now in Silfax hand along with all the profits made while the exchange was running.

Silfax, maybe you'd like to tell us what you did with these funds?

Offline TwoKoolFourSkewl

• View Profile
    • RippleGiveaway.com
How was I supposed to know that it got moved to bit-u? Wtf?

That's a GOOD QUESTION!

I don't even know why there was a deadline to get your partial redemption!  The deadline was 6 AM EST today.  IT LOOKS LIKE IT WAS A WAY FOR HIM TO STEAL EVEN MORE MONEY!

Silfax said everyone would get a 58% reimbursement of their bitcoin and protoshares balance.  Even those that withdrew before the deadline didn't get 58% of their combined balances returned.

I'm figuring up how much Silfax stole from everyone. -> http://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=1101.0

Offline red

• View Profile
How was I supposed to know that it got moved to bit-u? Wtf?

Offline marketp2p

• View Profile
marketp2p - there was a notice to cancel your orders before withdrawing, but I see that your order is still there, so I'll send you a PM about you getting that back.
PM replied. Thanks.

Offline TwoKoolFourSkewl

• View Profile
    • RippleGiveaway.com
I was on coingrounds. Was that affected? I didn't notice the change from coingrounds to bit-u. Now it says bit-u is down. Can I log in with my coingrounds info? Or are they unrelated?

If you had any protoshares or bitcoins on this exchange, Silfax just stole them all from you.  I believe you only had until earlier today to withdraw even a fraction of your balance.

Offline seraphim

your coingrounds account was fully transferred to bit-u. so, yes, it's affected.
Meet you on STEEM

Offline red

• View Profile
I was on coingrounds. Was that affected? I didn't notice the change from coingrounds to bit-u. Now it says bit-u is down. Can I log in with my coingrounds info? Or are they unrelated?

Offline TwoKoolFourSkewl

• View Profile
    • RippleGiveaway.com
I felt like any theft from the site was a theft from all the users, not just the ones that happened to have their balance in BTC at the time, which was my reasoning in reimbursing everyone equally. I think that is more fair than the alternative.

Silfax, the money remaining is NOT YOURS.  It is NOT up to you to determine how to divided up the remaining funds.  By doing this, YOU ARE STEALING!  You have no right to allocate those funds to pay back other people.  You need to pay back everyone 100% out of your own pocket.  If this takes you ten years, then so be it.  You need to give everyone back their full protoshare balance.  Then you need to make arrangements to pay everyone back for the "stolen" bitcoin.  You are HACKING all of our protoshare balances to pay your liabilities.  WHO DO YOUR CUSTOMERS GET TO STEAL FROM TO MAKE UP THEIR LOSSES?

WHAT PART OF THIS DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?!

WHY DON'T YOU BE A MAN AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS?

Offline Silfax

• View Profile
In fact I have not reimbursed myself for /any/ of the funds (PTS and BTC) that I had in the exchange when it got stolen from.

Offline Alcor

• View Profile
marketp2p - there was a notice to cancel your orders before withdrawing, but I see that your order is still there, so I'll send you a PM about you getting that back.

re: pts holders:

I felt like any theft from the site was a theft from all the users, not just the ones that happened to have their balance in BTC at the time, which was my reasoning in reimbursing everyone equally. I think that is more fair than the alternative.

I don't. The fair thing to do was reimburse everyone 100% of their PTS and then reimburse the stolen BTC out of your own pocket and out of the profits you got from the exchange. I wonder, did you give yourself the same 42% haircut as we all got? Or are your customers the only ones having to bleed here?

Offline Silfax

• View Profile

re: pts holders:

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 09:20:55 pm by Silfax »

Offline marketp2p

• View Profile
The question is, did Silfax include the open orders as part of the balances. That may explain the discrepancy what I thought my btc balance was and what actually showed up after the site was restored.

Offline liquiddrool

• View Profile
When the exchange closed there was a buy in for 300 PTS @ .009(2.7 BTC) and maybe 2 more buys for a total of around .05 BTC.  There were several hundred PTS still on the board, I estimate 300-500.  These are all now in Silfax hand along with all the profits made while the exchange was running.

Offline Alcor

• View Profile
Silfax, the money remaining is NOT YOURS.  It is NOT up to you to determine how to divided up the remaining funds.  By doing this, YOU ARE STEALING!  You have no right to allocate those funds to pay back other people.  You need to pay back everyone 100% out of your own pocket.  If this takes you ten years, then so be it.  You need to give everyone back their full protoshare balance.  Then you need to make arrangements to pay everyone back for the "stolen" bitcoin.  You are HACKING all of our protoshare balances to pay your liabilities.  WHO DO YOUR CUSTOMERS GET TO STEAL FROM TO MAKE UP THEIR LOSSES?

Agreed. My PTS were not stolen, but Silfax just took my PTS and yours without asking to cover for the BTC losses due to the theft. This is not acceptable, and I demand to be paid back my PTS in full or I will have to take certain measures. I can understand it will take some time for Silfax to sort things out, and I can be quite patient if I have to. But there's no question about it that the customers should be given back what's theirs. This is not our fault nor our problem.

Offline yago

• View Profile
Anyway, I am going to step out of this dispute as I am not a party to it.

Me too.

BTW: I'm connecting to this forum from tor!  :o  :P

Edit: no longer connecting to this forum using tor, as the site doesnt support SSL yet!  ::) Also: I'm going to change my password right now!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 06:19:46 pm by yago »
http://bitsharestalk.org/donate.html  <---- Donate to the BitShares Forum ----> PforumPLfVQXTi4QpQqKwoChXHkoHcxGuA

Offline bytemaster

I find this very hard to believe.  Who does business with someone without knowing their real name?
Seems that you and everyone on this thread too, myself first  :P

I have done plenty of business with people on this forum without knowing their real name.   All it really means is that the contact whom I know that knows silfax has had several successful transactions with him.

Anyway, I am going to step out of this dispute as I am not a party to it.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline yago

• View Profile
I find this very hard to believe.  Who does business with someone without knowing their real name?
Seems that you and everyone on this thread too, myself first  :P

Offline TwoKoolFourSkewl

• View Profile
    • RippleGiveaway.com
Silfax, what did you do with the profits from your exchange???  Surely, you didn't spend them?

You need to use YOUR OWN FUNDS to pay us back.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:11:35 am by TwoKoolFourSkewl »

Offline TwoKoolFourSkewl

• View Profile
    • RippleGiveaway.com
I'm sure the people you know who know him know his first and last name.  What is his first and last name?
I checked and apparently they do not know this information.  They have only done business with him in the past.

I find this very hard to believe.  Who does business with someone without knowing their real name?  Who were the people that you asked?  Was it Silfax's former business partners Saif Altimimi and Sean Geng?

Silfax, why don't you stop being such a coward and tell us your real name?  It's obvious that you planned to steal from everyone and made sure to hide your identity.  Why else would you ALWAYS use Tor to connect to the forum?

Let's make something clear.  None of Silfax's customers got hacked.  Silfax supposedly got hacked.  None of Silfax's customers profited from his exchange, so why should we pay for his mistakes?  None of his customers told him how to run his business.  If he had asked, I'm sure many of us would have told him NOT TO USE A VPS.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:13:56 am by TwoKoolFourSkewl »

Offline bytemaster

Silfax reported misconfigured permission on this forum and helped us get it fixed.  I paid him a small tip for his help which he should divide among you all. 

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Amazon

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Forum
Bytemaster,  please release the IP logs of Silfax's connections to the forum and provide us with his first and last name, skype username, and any other information you have.
Amazon is the one who Admins this site.  I will leave that for him to handle.

Will you tell Amazon to pull those IP logs and post them here?

The other day you said, "I have his Skype contact and know people who know him so do not suspect any intentional fraud."  What is his skype username?  I'm sure the people you know who know him know his first and last name.  What is his first and last name?

TwoKoolFourSkewl, I understand you are upset about what happened to Coingrounds. I personally don't know Silfax and don't know anyone knows him/her. Apparently, the login information is hidden by tor, and you won't find the real IP even with the IP log. 
Forum Donation: PforumPLfVQXTi4QpQqKwoChXHkoHcxGuA

Offline Silfax

• View Profile
TwoKoolFourSkewl, I know you're angry/concerned, maybe more. However I humbly suggest that raging on the chat only makes matters worse.

Obviously I already feel bad about this, and I'm doing all I can. With the state of the company's funds, there's simply not enough to give everyone back 100%, because we got stolen from!

If there's extra at the end (i.e. some people don't withdraw in the next 30 hours or however many are left), then I will try to reimburse you more fully, amongst others.

Offline bytemaster

I'm sure the people you know who know him know his first and last name.  What is his first and last name?

I checked and apparently they do not know this information.  They have only done business with him in the past.

Offline bytemaster

Everything I can grab from the admin interface.

Username: Silfax
Email: contact.silfax@gmail.com
Date Registered: November 08, 2013, 07:16:09
PMIP: 212.83.151.18
Hostname: tor2.chrismail.de
Local Time:November 26, 2013, 12:45:42 AM
Last Active: November 25, 2013, 08:07:56 PM

For the record... In my opinion Silfax has not committed a crime (except perhaps running an unlicensed exchange), but he does owe people for the money he lost.

In the future, you should never give money you cannot afford to lose over to someone whom you do not know their name.   

Offline bytemaster

Offline TwoKoolFourSkewl

• View Profile
    • RippleGiveaway.com
Bytemaster,  please release the IP logs of Silfax's connections to the forum and provide us with his first and last name, skype username, and any other information you have.

Will you tell Amazon to pull those IP logs and post them here?

The other day you said, "I have his Skype contact and know people who know him so do not suspect any intentional fraud."  What is his skype username?  I'm sure the people you know who know him know his first and last name.  What is his first and last name?

Offline TwoKoolFourSkewl

• View Profile
    • RippleGiveaway.com
My withdraw from Bit-u went through.

I received 61.99715463 pts.  I had 106.88796 pts and 0.0000463 btc.

SILFAX YOU STILL OWE ME 44.89080537 pts and 0.0000463 btc.

My PTS address is PqNMYYkjagWKaxShxpX4ussz7mkmcu7mpN
My BTC address is 1KHzhFDZv7wzc95TCcGEkh4TrCLirbi5z7

I EXPECT TO BE PAID IMMEDIATELY.  IF I'M NOT I WILL FILE CRIMINAL CHARGES AGAINST YOU.

Offline bytemaster

At the going rate of about 0.012 (on cryptsy), with all of the funds that the exchange still has, we can afford to let everyone withdraw 58% of their total balances and orders.

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN JUST STEAL FROM YOUR CUSTOMERS TO PAY FOR YOUR MISTAKES?

IF I DON'T GET 100% OF MY MONEY, I WILL FILE CRIMINAL CHARGES AGAINST YOU!

Offline TwoKoolFourSkewl

• View Profile
    • RippleGiveaway.com
I've submitted for a withdrawal and I'm currently waiting for it. I'll update this when I see my PTS in my wallet.

Good luck with that.  I tried to withdraw from the exchange also but it's not going through.  Everyone is having the same issue with withdrawals not being processed.

I had 106.88796 pts and 0.0000463 btc on his exchange and I expect to receive every last penny.

Offline phoenix

• View Profile
I've submitted for a withdrawal and I'm currently waiting for it. I'll update this when I see my PTS in my wallet.
Edit: I received 9.29 out of about 16 PTS on the exchange, which is ok for me. I would like more if there's any left over, but I understand that some people lost a lot more than me.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:02:14 pm by phoenix »
Protoshares: Pg5EhSZEXHFjdFUzpxJbm91UtA54iUuDvt
Bitmessage: BM-NBrGi2V3BZ8REnJM7FPxUjjkQp7V5D28

Offline TwoKoolFourSkewl

• View Profile
    • RippleGiveaway.com
At the going rate of about 0.012 (on cryptsy), with all of the funds that the exchange still has, we can afford to let everyone withdraw 58% of their total balances and orders.

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN JUST STEAL FROM YOUR CUSTOMERS TO PAY FOR YOUR MISTAKES?

IF I DON'T GET 100% OF MY MONEY, I WILL FILE CRIMINAL CHARGES AGAINST YOU!

Offline marketp2p

• View Profile
OK, I successfully withdrew my PTSs. I thought my BTC balance was a few more higher, but if everybody else's numbers are correct, it's probably because of my poor memory.

I will update the title of this thread to reflect what has happened.

Offline Alcor

• View Profile
So only the BTC got stolen and now the PTS holders will have to pay for the ones who lost their BTC? How's that fair? I only had PTS on this exchange and from what I hear nothing of that was touched, so I expect them all back in my wallet safely.

Offline Evan

• View Profile
  • BitShares: evan
My point of view: shit happens, and although this shit probably should not have happened the way it did, well, it's too late now.
Bottom line, I am grateful for Silfax to have had the courage to stay, face all the anger, and deal with the situation as best as he could. I am very glad to at least get back 58% and will not whine for more. Imo this is probably the fairest solution that could be found under these circumstances, and I would not expect Silfax to pay for everyones losses out of his own pocket, if he even can. Most probably Silfax was stressed more by this than anyone else and had serious losses too. Surely everyone learned a lessons from this, and that may well be seen positively.

I agree.  58% was much more than I expected to receive, so I am grateful for what I can receive, given these circumstances.  I'm not angry at Silfax since he did not coerce me to use his exchange, and I never risked on the exchange what I could not afford to lose.  I have no use for pointing fingers or pitchforks.

I successfully withdrew my BTC as PTS at a calculated rate of 0.012000093 BTC per PTS, so Silfax's above formula for withdrawals is accurate.

Offline joesmoe

• View Profile
This exchange was brand new.

To me, silfax was a new name.

The site was clearly labelled beta.

Silfax was obviously new at setting up an exchange, his project appeared in every capacity to just be a small project, hosted on a DO VPS none the less.

Anybody who honestly thinks Silfax is the idiot to blame for them losing their PTS...

Anyhow Silfax I'm out a couple BTC and a few hundred PTS, will go and try to withdraw my 58% now.

Offline Ethapus

• View Profile
My point of view: shit happens, and although this shit probably should not have happened the way it did, well, it's too late now.
Bottom line, I am grateful for Silfax to have had the courage to stay, face all the anger, and deal with the situation as best as he could. I am very glad to at least get back 58% and will not whine for more. Imo this is probably the fairest solution that could be found under these circumstances, and I would not expect Silfax to pay for everyones losses out of his own pocket, if he even can. Most probably Silfax was stressed more by this than anyone else and had serious losses too. Surely everyone learned a lessons from this, and that may well be seen positively.

Offline Silfax

• View Profile
Okay, the site is up for withdraws, and will be up until Wednesday 6am EST, 11am GMT.

Offline cudido

• View Profile
Noooo! You are lost BTC? Ok, withdraw all PTS and not only the 58%!!!!

Sent from my RM-825_apac_hong_kong_210 using Tapatalk

Offline Silfax

• View Profile
Update - so Digitalocean is being rather unresponsive unfortunately, and I'm doubtful about the prospect of tracing this, to my great dismay.

In terms of giving out all that we have left, I have been getting a bunch of PMs, so I'll just clarify here.

--

I'll put up the site soon (in around an hour), and give everyone around 36 hours to withdraw all of their funds, and then I will close the site again indefinitely, unless new information from DO comes to light.

In case anyone wasn't clear, you will still have BTC in your balance, but when you withdraw, it will ask you to enter a PTS address instead, and it will send you 0.012 * your BTC * 58%.

If at the end of the 36 hours the site still has some funds, I will pass that out manually to users most affected.

Offline marketp2p

• View Profile
@silfax: PM'd you my claim and proposed resolution, for the loss occurred to my account.  Please let me know your take on this matter.

Offline cudido

• View Profile
The PTS wasn't touched, so I still have access to that, and will return it to its owners; I'm thinking most likely to make it most fair that I  convert everyone's balances to PTS, and then reimburse everyone as best I can with what's left.

Not fair and not serious.

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow
It seems to me the simplest thing to do is simply to start back up the server and let people make their withdrawals. Any other "settlement" system is likely to take a long time and more likely to cause worse problems when mistakes are made in the process. Personally, I had both BTC and PTS on the exchange, but I just want to get back whatever I can and as soon as possible.
http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
I wonder what VPS inputs.io used ... this could be an interesting "coincidence"

Offline yago

• View Profile
If I were in the place of Silfax, I think that I would auction the exchange software somewhere on this this forum to pay some of the IOU.

Offline raspu

• View Profile
The ip belongs to privateinternetaccess.com. This is a VPN company that supposedly doesn't keep logs of who connected and through which IP operated. So, probably is impossible to track.
PTS: PnGggh65DYZMbfR6h9LEsYKQ7xeAm5dH62

Offline legitnick

• View Profile
I had just sold some PTS before all this went down, will it be possible to get my 0.15btc back? I'm fine with getting back PTS.  >:(

Offline liquiddrool

• View Profile

Offline Entz

• View Profile
How does he know what addresses to send payments to?
that is a good question. I would assume that he will re-enable logins and users can withdrawl them (fee free!) to whatever account they choose.
BTC: 1LqcX722yd45669em1gt2Ba6yB3kRCRAQF
Bitcointalk: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=115754

Offline emeaux

• View Profile
How does he know what addresses to send payments to?

Offline bytemaster

Here is how I would handle it... everyone who he owes money should make an offer on what kind of haircut they are willing to take.  Those willing to take the largest haircut voluntarily should be paid out first.   In this way he will extinguish as much debt as possible on a voluntary basis.   Then he can either pay the holdouts from his own pocket or file bankruptcy protection.

Offline bytemaster

Here is the reality of the situation:

When you sent him your PTS or BTC you he gave your IOUs for that amount in an implied contract (though I doubt he had any binding legal obligations that his customers signed).
He now has a bunch of debts to pay and it honestly doesn't matter where the money comes from.
If I have a mortgage and my home is robbed I still owe the mortgage payment.   

So the way I see it is this, if he ever wants to do business again in the bitcoin space he had better pay his debts.  If he is unable to pay his debts then his only option is to file bankruptcy.   As creditors it is in your interest to settle quickly because unless he has a spare $32K laying around that a bankruptcy judge can get ahold of you will never see your payout and it may take months in court.   Also, the cost of fighting this is probably more than $32K.

And for the record, this isn't a 'bailout' it is a 'bail-in' in the latest bankster jargon.

Offline marketp2p

• View Profile
As one of the biggest loser in this theft, I won't be happy about it, but I can accept a 60% recovery rate as long as there's evidence to support what you've claimed.

@TwoKoolFourSkewl: I agree that customer is not the insurance company, you deserve the right for requesting a full refund.

But to be fair he mostly relied on the donations to make any money, and you need to give him some credit for the courage and honesty coming back facing the customers.

Offline TwoKoolFourSkewl

• View Profile
    • RippleGiveaway.com
Silfax,

Your customers are not YOUR insurance company.  We are NOT liable for your errors and we should NOT be held responsible to pay back your customers.  This is YOUR responsibility.  You were more than eager to take OUR money for commissions and fees and now it seems you're even more eager to have us PAY for your mistakes.  YOU NEED TO FULLY REIMBURSE EVERYONE OUT OF YOUR OWN POCKET IF NECESSARY.

Do we look like the Federal Government?  WE DO NOT GIVE BAILOUTS!

The protoshares that you still have BELONG TO THOSE WHO HELD PROTOSHARE BALANCES with you and need to be given back in full.  The bitcoin that you lost belongs to those customers who held bitcoin balances with you.  You need to pay back protoshares with protoshares and bitcoin with bitcoin.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:58:37 am by TwoKoolFourSkewl »

Offline TwoKoolFourSkewl

• View Profile
    • RippleGiveaway.com
The PTS wasn't touched, so I still have access to that, and will return it to its owners; I'm thinking most likely to make it most fair that I  convert everyone's balances to PTS, and then reimburse everyone as best I can with what's left.

NO, this doesn't sound fair!  What would be fair is if you accepted responsibility and paid back all of your customers in FULL.

I expect a full 100% reimbursement of the 106 pts that I had on your exchange.  You can send my 106 pts to PqNMYYkjagWKaxShxpX4ussz7mkmcu7mpN.  I expect them to be there within 24 hours.

You can't just claim BETA and absolve yourself of all responsibility.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:36:22 am by TwoKoolFourSkewl »

Offline yago

• View Profile
Do you think emailing abuse@nforce.com could help?

I dont think so, but you dont lose anything by trying. Maybe a mail to abuse@nforce.com and abuse@privateinternetaccess.com with CC to info@us-cert.gov and info@ncsc.nl

I guess that if you start a legal process, a judge could require the VPN logs stored by privateinternetaccess.com (if any)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 09:20:08 pm by yago »

Offline Silfax

• View Profile
Do you think emailing abuse@nforce.com could help?

Offline yago

• View Profile
Access logs on the digitalocean account show that someone logged in from a Norway IP (that's not a TOR node), and a similar IP on the same subnet logged into the VM itself.

The IPs that logged into the server were: 109.201.154.210, and .205, maybe a VPN, maybe someone's actual IP? I looked at the computer there, and apparently there is a Bitcoin node. If anyone feels like playing detective/hacker, please be my guest.

These IPs are seems that are from some USA Netherlands VPN, not Norway. Edit: Strange, geoiplookup db says Norway but after doing a mtr I think that the machine is on Netherlands.

Code: [Select]
% Information related to '109.201.154.128 - 109.201.154.255'

% Abuse contact for '109.201.154.128 - 109.201.154.255' is 'abuse@nforce.com'

inetnum:        109.201.154.128 - 109.201.154.255
netname:        LONDON_TRUST_MEDIA
descr:          VPN services from Private Internet Access
org:            ORG-PIA17-RIPE
admin-c:        LTMR1-RIPE
tech-c:         LTMR1-RIPE
mnt-by:         MNT-NFORCE
mnt-lower:      MNT-NFORCE
mnt-routes:     MNT-NFORCE
source:         RIPE # Filtered

organisation:   ORG-PIA17-RIPE
org-name:       London Trust Media, Inc.
org-type:       Other
address:        2885 Sanford Ave SW
address:        Suite 20138, Grandville, MI 49418
address:        USA
abuse-mailbox:  abuse@privateinternetaccess.com
remarks:        Phone: +1-855-ANON-VPN
mnt-ref:        MNT-NFORCE

role:           London Trust Media - Representative
address:        2885 Sanford Ave SW
address:        Suite 20138, Grandville, MI 49418
address:        USA
remarks:        +1-855-ANON-VPN
org:            ORG-PIA17-RIPE
nic-hdl:        LTMR1-RIPE
abuse-mailbox:  abuse@privateinternetaccess.com

% Information related to '109.201.128.0/19AS43350'

route:          109.201.128.0/19
descr:          NFOrce Entertainment BV - 109.201.128.0/19 route
origin:         AS43350

% This query was served by the RIPE Database Query Service version 1.70.1 (WHOIS4)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 09:19:18 pm by yago »

Offline liquiddrool

• View Profile
It sounds like some cryptocurrency nub was the culprit because they only cleaned out the BTC and not PTS.  Anyone with half an idea of what they were doing would have gotten it all.  This supports the theory of a DO employee doing it.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:33:17 pm by liquiddrool »

Offline Silfax

• View Profile
Have yet to decide - presumably something based on the going exchange rate?

Offline bytemaster

Okay, so I still don't have all the details, but I can provide a bit more info.

Our digital ocean VPS that was hosting the wallets got deleted randomly, and the billing information was removed, etc.

Also, the BTC wallet transferred its contents out, but not from the application, seems that someone got access to the VM itself.

Access logs on the digitalocean account show that someone logged in from a Norway IP (that's not a TOR node), and a similar IP on the same subnet logged into the VM itself.

No idea who this was.

My 'partner' was the only person with the password to this DO account, so either it was him, or his personal computer had a targeted key logger of some sort?

It's all so odd - I've asked digital ocean for more info/logs, but they haven't gotten back yet.

Maybe it was a disgruntled DO employee that saw bitcoin related traffic coming from the VM?

38 BTC were taken, I traced the payments, and they are now here: https://blockchain.info/address/1AKvP3NUmJQsfWXkTg6ZczURatKgAb2Cua
and here:
https://blockchain.info/address/16Z6e2qaxg84Kunk1wdT3pr94YJa2pSafR

The address that they went through is this one: https://blockchain.info/address/14wQsMaKWAmTHrEMKamnzCJxaewnFWP7Tg

which also made a small payment (.01) the same day to this address: https://blockchain.info/address/15MJUSKnkbX3cprXfjNwAWsssTG59SXnvd
which looks like someone's personal address, as it's been receiving and sending payments since February. If anyone can shed any light on that, please be my guest.

The IPs that logged into the server were: 109.201.154.210, and .205, maybe a VPN, maybe someone's actual IP? I looked at the computer there, and apparently there is a Bitcoin node. If anyone feels like playing detective/hacker, please be my guest.

I'm of course incredibly sorry that this happened, and not that it does much good at this point, but it was clearly signposted that this was a beta.

If I learn more from DigitalOcean (which I should, because they are at the center of this problem) then I'll post back here.

Thanks for the update.   At what price point will you convert PTS into BTC? 

Offline Silfax

• View Profile
Okay, so I still don't have all the details, but I can still provide a bit more info.

Our digital ocean VPS that was hosting the wallets got deleted randomly, and the billing information was removed, etc.

Also, the BTC wallet transferred its contents out, but not from the application, seems that someone got access to the VM itself.

No idea who this was.

My 'partner' was the only person with the password to this DO account, so either it was him, or his personal computer had a targeted key logger of some sort?

It's all so odd - I've asked digital ocean for more info/logs, but they haven't gotten back yet.

Maybe it was a disgruntled DO employee that saw bitcoin related traffic coming from the VM?

38 BTC were taken, I traced the payments, and they are now here: https://blockchain.info/address/1AKvP3NUmJQsfWXkTg6ZczURatKgAb2Cua
and here:
https://blockchain.info/address/16Z6e2qaxg84Kunk1wdT3pr94YJa2pSafR

The address that they went through is this one: https://blockchain.info/address/14wQsMaKWAmTHrEMKamnzCJxaewnFWP7Tg

which also made a small payment (.01) the same day to this address: https://blockchain.info/address/15MJUSKnkbX3cprXfjNwAWsssTG59SXnvd
which looks like someone's personal address, as it's been receiving and sending payments since February. If anyone can shed any light on that, please be my guest.

I'm of course incredibly sorry that this happened, and not that it does much good at this point, but it was clearly signposted that this was a beta.

If I learn more from DigitalOcean (which I should, because they are at the center of this problem) then I'll post back here.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 08:08:58 am by Silfax »

Offline alexkravets

• View Profile
Moral of the story ? Never hold any IOUs
Get in buy or sell get out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
He posted this in the bit-u.com chatbox earlier today:
(18:04) Silfax: I'm still here, just trying to figure out as much as possible before releasing a statement.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline bytemaster

We know his parter, whom he had disagreements over the use of coingrounds domain, had access to the Digital Ocean account password.

Offline marketp2p

• View Profile
He once mentioned that if he's confident that his "partners" were the perpetrators, he would release their info, which he hasn't done so.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 07:07:35 pm by marketp2p »

Offline marketp2p

• View Profile
Update #1: Silfax has come forward with updated information (see below). Currently it's my personal opinion that he may not be the one who stole other people's money, but he does bear the responsibility of using sloppy implementation and lack of good security practice.

Update #2: Silfax has restored the site and customers are able to withdraw 58% of the balance before the theft incident. Page down for more details.

What happened:

On Nov 23, 2013, bit-u.com went offline. A few hours later Silfax claimed his exchange bit-u.com (previously Coingrounds.com) was hacked, BTCs were moved to a different address by an unknown user, PTSs was not mentioned. He also claimed some one got access to the (DigitalOcean) hosting account  and deleted the VPS instance after stealing the money.

Since he made the claim on bit-u.com chat box, he hasn't been in any contact with his customers, leaving all victims holding the bag. 

Scammers Profile Link:
  http://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=283
He also claimed:  I'm /r/Silfax on reddit, moderator of /r/Jobs4Bitcoins, and pretty well known over there, as well as coder for a couple big group buys.
  http://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=356.msg2802#msg2802

Reference Link:
  http://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=353.60
  http://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=356.60

Amount Scammed: Estimated >50 BTC

Payment Method: Bitcoin, ProtoShares

Proof of Payment: Many forum members can provide their payment transaction links.

PM/Chat Logs:
   http://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=356.msg10353#msg10353

Additional Notes:
  Silfax hasn't made any contact with exchange customers for almost 24 hours after he last appeared in the chat, nor did he provide any evidence to support his claim, no trust should be given to him, bit-u.com, coingrounds.com, or possibly DigitalOcean VPS hosting.

I'll update this thread when more information is available. Feel free to add your claim or evidence.

Edit: added time and fixed typos.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:20:54 am by marketp2p »