Author Topic: How do margin calls work these days?  (Read 1252 times)

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
There are still bids above the call price... so the call has not been triggered.   The feed price protects only when there are no bids above it.   

There are ~$10K BitUSD for sale at above the margin call price.... once those are purchased a margin call will execute.

Cool, thanks for the quick response. I wish I'd known that before this morning's price crash. :)
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline bytemaster

There are still bids above the call price... so the call has not been triggered.   The feed price protects only when there are no bids above it.   

There are ~$10K BitUSD for sale at above the margin call price.... once those are purchased a margin call will execute.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
As I understand it, margin calls execute based on the median price feed, right? Is there a delay before a margin call executes? I'm guessing we've seen a pile of margin calls today, but currently the price feed for USD is around 59.1 but there's a margin order with a call price of 58.15. When will that order execute?

Also, does the automatic margin call buy up asks one-by-one or does it place an order at the feed price and blow a ton of the shorter's collateral by overlapping orders?

Basically, I'm realizing that I have absolutely no idea how automatic margin calls have been implemented. Anyone care to point me in the right direction?
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."