Author Topic: Perspective is Everything  (Read 15706 times)

Offline inarizushi

• View Profile
Just my 2 cents, but I just LOVE how BM shares his thoughts. I don't give a damn about "professionals". Following advices on this forum, I have read the book "zero to one", loved it, and I now definitively see bytemaster as one of those guys that has the guts to change the world, to impose his vision. His candid "PR naivety" is not a default : it is what make people loyal to him, it is what gives me more and more confidence in BTSX the more I learn about it and the more I get to know our leading team through this forum.

"Professionals" follow the rules that worked before, the rules of the past. Here, the future is being built, the rules of the past may not apply. The cryptoworld is such that we probably don't have time to reach a better consensus. How many great leaders didn't give a damn and just moved on towards their vision ? It seems to me that the Jobs, Zuckerberg and Musk's of this world don't really care about PR.
When Elon Musk admits Tesla is overvalued : http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/25/investing/tesla-netflix-momentum-stocks/, how cool is that ?

I'm now all in in bitshares, thank you for sharing all your thoughts BM, that way we really feel like we're part of the adventure.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:45:38 pm by inarizushi »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline oldman

• View Profile
Do folks really want to model DACs on traditional corporate paradigms?

Take BM and the key devs up into the ivory tower and have all correspondence vetted and neutered by the PR police to ensure the share price is not inconvenienced?

The whole point of DACs is to implement a public and transparent business model with direct and unencumbered lines of communication to shareholders.

BM saw an opportunity and presented it to the community.

Funny how folks love to knock big bank/corp/gov but push to recreate the same systems they deride.

Freedom and security do not run together.

Respect to BM for his candour and courage.

Offline edilliam

that avalanche goes the wrong direction :)
you need to take you monitor and flip it up-side-down ... then all's right again :)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
that avalanche goes the wrong direction :)
you need to take you monitor and flip it up-side-down ... then all's right again :)

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
I'll be happy when I see BTS at $0.25.

I AM a tad unrealistic!  :) As I see it, $0.25 will be a good start. But then, I think that if/when BitShares gets that much notice, it should gain some critical mass. This is SO MUCH more useful than Bitcoin. If it's hovering at that market cap, it's going to get a ton more attention. If we reach 10x, then I honestly see this getting a lot bigger.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
@luckybit: thanks for the post .. learn something new every day .. +5%

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
If DNS wants to get talent back it would likely have to dilute significantly to hire someone to take the helm.... I believe Toast is even willing to hand over 100% of the Dev fund and I will gladly give my and I3 stake in DNS to the new management.
what does this mean? could you expand on this?

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Perspective is everything, there is no "objective" right thing to do in this case.  The stories we choose to tell ourselves affect how we feel about things. 

So here is a perspective for your consideration.

BTSX, VOTE, DNS, AGS, and PTS are all separate groups of people each of which wants something from *me* whether I owe them anything or not.    They all want me to do, say, or build something that makes them money.  Now the reality is that my goal is to build the best toolkit and keep pushing things forward on that front.  People gave us money "no strings attached" to build these things.   Other people took my work on the toolkit and turned it into BTSX.   I gave grants to DNS & Play.   Everyone else is an independent group of people speculating on an asset that they know is not a security, has no legally binding promises, and is a hope.

All of these groups represents a "team" or "tribe" that wants me to play for them and no one wants me to play "against them" in the competitive free market.   

So the first team that made a bid for my attention was VOTE.... vote offered me and everyone on our team a large stake along with PTS / AGS... but offered BTSX nothing.   This was a fair and legitimate way for me to go... after delivering on BTSX core features and spending funds donated prior to BTSX snapshot.   But it would have made team BTSX very upset at losing their key players for long term growth even though plans were in place to allow BTSX to steal all of the work paid for by team VOTE for free. 

So the next thing I did is propose a bid for my attention that would bring everyone under one roof.  Who's call is it?  Mine.  Do I get to be arbitrary? Yes because I get to chose which project I work on.  So it comes down to me negotiating with BTSX on the terms of the deal.   I effectively ask BTSX to share drop on the competition as a means of motivating but not requiring them to join us. 

So team BTSX got my attention and every other team got something out of the deal.   DNS + VOTE could still exist and could still compete.  We didn't actually *buy* their stake, we just honored it with no strings attached.  Did they get a "fair price"... well, a gift is certainly fair.   

Now DNS is faced with a challenge on how to develop, grow, and hire talent.  They are free to form a team, hire developers, and make a go.  Nothing has been taken from them except their project lead has handed it off.   They are free to plunder all the work we do on BTS and thus have much cheaper development cost... so all DNS must pay for is marketing.   

If DNS wants to get talent back it would likely have to dilute significantly to hire someone to take the helm.... I believe Toast is even willing to hand over 100% of the Dev fund and I will gladly give my and I3 stake in DNS to the new management.

So there you go... change the perspective and it changes the perception of "fair".   

Now back to work on making BTS great. 

A stakeholder analysis graph might help people understand the position Bytemaster is in.
It seems he wants to unify stakeholders to consolidate but also so his effort benefits every team.

Bytemaster is a key player.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stakeholder_analysis
http://www.stakeholdermap.com/stakeholder-analysis.html
http://www.stakeholdermap.com/stakeholder-analysis/Stakeholder-Analysis-keyplayers.html

http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newPPM_07.htm
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:25:28 pm by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Would it be prudent to ask that any developers who are paid by the capital infusion funds sign non-compete agreements, so that if they walk away at some point in the future they are not doing so to set-up a direct competitor of bitshares?

A DAC is not a legal entity. It would be impossible to enforce such an agreement.

True.  We see this as a natural progression for all developers.  Generate open source code for everybody until it comes time to go pursue your own dreams.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
"BTS is good,worth 500USD without any problem".

All we have to do is agree not to sell our BTSX for less than $500 USD. Is anyone else willing to put a sell order for BTSX at $500 USD? Or BitUSD? We could create a giant wall that could make for great PR!

+5% I'll do it.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
"BTS is good,worth 500USD without any problem".

All we have to do is agree not to sell our BTSX for less than $500 USD. Is anyone else willing to put a sell order for BTSX at $500 USD? Or BitUSD? We could create a giant wall that could make for great PR!

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
Would it be prudent to ask that any developers who are paid by the capital infusion funds sign non-compete agreements, so that if they walk away at some point in the future they are not doing so to set-up a direct competitor of bitshares?

A DAC is not a legal entity. It would be impossible to enforce such an agreement.

Offline mint chocolate chip

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Perhaps that post was an example of bad PR...

Remember that you can learn anything, "bad at PR" is just a limiting label (perhaps ego calls it "too honest for PR").
+5% +5%
That's what makes this community so awesome!!