Author Topic: Fix for DNS Holders who lost money buying into DNS  (Read 36339 times)

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
If there is a lot of this...

In some sense .. people that took their stake out of the genesis just to VOTE .. benefit from this ..
Lucky me .. still not sure if I want it .. it is kind of unfair .. at least to the devs/I3 ..

//edit: I'll most certainly send my 'extra' stake back to you guys .. I won't take it!
It just doesn't feel right to get a bonus for moving my funds out of the genesis block

...combined with a lot of this...

Actually I'm not a trader, I was newbie trying to get a wallet registered because I couldn't move my DNS otherwise
and so I left my DNS on my BTER account for a few days and now..

I'm SOL simply because..??  a bitshares registration procedure prevented me from immediately moving my dns purchase from the exchange which I would have normally done.

Quite a memorable first BitShares experience I'm having..

All those who bought at Bter are out of luck? All those who claimed after the announcement and sold are also at a loss?

The gainers are those who claimed earlier and sold immediately after the announcement. They got a good price and some free DNS.

Or have I misunderstood it all completely?

I don't think there are any losers except those with funds on the exchange and US.  Those with funds on an exchange were "traders"... those who bought in the days prior and withdrew to hold are OK... those who bought or sold after the announcement are also OK.

...could we organize a shuffling act to compensate people such as sirlo?

I'm lacking technical knowledge, but could this work? sirlo has been very unfortunate, and posted here on the forum about it. xeroc has been outstanding with his attitude. What if we could discover people in sirlo's position and also those like xeroc, and even things out a bit? I guess it's not feasible, but I want to ask the question just in case...

I know xeroc wasn't offering anything to sirlo - I just want to ascertain whether or not the idea is feasible and also whether or not the community would want to support people like sirlo.
I will be getting about $16 20500, worth of DNS due to this proposal (the rest were already at the exchange, which I considered a smart move in anticipation of the announcement ). Anyway I manage to sell at 220 to 200 range so I do not think I deserve the bonus proposed in this thread, so if somebody organizes such a fund I will be happy to send those funds there instead of sending them back to I3.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline GaltReport

getting a little confused.  Can someone explain exactly what snapshots of what are being merged?

There is the original DNS & Vote Snapshots and the upcoming PTS snapshot and is their now another DNS snapshot pre-announcement or is that replacing the original DNS?

Edit: and AGS

It's the original snapshots as in the now infamous "Proposed Allocation for Merger" thread for all assets on November 5th. The only additional thing is that I3 is going to gift their share of the DNS allocation (about 10% of DNS supply) to all DNS addresses on the block just prior to the thread post that 1) Had a balance and 2) Are not in the genesis block. There is no action required: You either are going to get additional airdrop from this or your not.

So, where is the Vote and DNS snapshots coming from?  The original snapshot or a new one on November 5?

The November 5th snapshot will go off as planned without change. Although Vote was never released for public trading the snapshot still happened on Sept 21st so the allocations are known. Since it wasn't publicly traded there wasn't anyone that bought in over and above their allocation.  I3 will then send the BTS they got from their DNS to addresses as above. They are just using the pre-thread-post-date as a date to get a list of the addresses their going to distribute the their BTS to.

Is it this?

Vote: Original Snapshot
DNS: Original Snapshot plus special pre-announcement snapshot (coming from I3)
PTS/AGS: November 5 snapshot

No, DNS is november 5th plus special pre-announcement subsidy. I'll make another post to clarify DNS end-of-life.

Okay, that would help.

Offline Riverhead

getting a little confused.  Can someone explain exactly what snapshots of what are being merged?

There is the original DNS & Vote Snapshots and the upcoming PTS snapshot and is their now another DNS snapshot pre-announcement or is that replacing the original DNS?

It's the original snapshots as in the now infamous "Proposed Allocation for Merger" thread for all assets on November 5th. The only additional thing is that I3 is going to gift their share of the DNS allocation (about 10% of DNS supply) to all DNS addresses on the block just prior to the thread post that 1) Had a balance and 2) Are not in the genesis block. There is no action required: You either are going to get additional airdrop from this or your not.

So, where is the Vote and DNS snapshots coming from?  The original snapshot or a new one on November 5?

The November 5th snapshot will go off as planned without change. Although Vote was never released for public trading the snapshot still happened on Sept 21st so the allocations are known. Since it wasn't publicly traded there wasn't anyone that bought in over and above their allocation.  I3 will then send the BTS they got from their DNS to addresses as above. They are just using the pre-thread-post-date as a date to get a list of the addresses their going to distribute the their BTS to.

Is it this?

DNS: Nov 5
PTS/AGS :Nov 5
BTSX: Nov 5

BTS is a whole new thing. Everything gets snapped :)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

Is it this?

No, DNS is november 5th plus special pre-announcement subsidy. I'll make another post to clarify DNS end-of-life.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline GaltReport

Is it this?

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:09:31 pm by GaltReport »

Offline Riverhead

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
If there is a lot of this...

In some sense .. people that took their stake out of the genesis just to VOTE .. benefit from this ..
Lucky me .. still not sure if I want it .. it is kind of unfair .. at least to the devs/I3 ..

//edit: I'll most certainly send my 'extra' stake back to you guys .. I won't take it!
It just doesn't feel right to get a bonus for moving my funds out of the genesis block

...combined with a lot of this...

Actually I'm not a trader, I was newbie trying to get a wallet registered because I couldn't move my DNS otherwise

I'm SOL simply because..??  a bitshares registration procedure prevented me from immediately moving my dns purchase from the exchange which I would have normally done.

All those who bought at Bter are out of luck? All those who claimed after the announcement and sold are also at a loss?

The gainers are those who claimed earlier and sold immediately after the announcement. They got a good price and some free DNS.

I don't think there are any losers except those with funds on the exchange and US.  Those with funds on an exchange were "traders"... those who bought in the days prior and withdrew to hold are OK... those who bought or sold after the announcement are also OK.

...could we organize a shuffling act to compensate people such as sirlo?

I'm lacking technical knowledge, but could this work? sirlo has been very unfortunate, and posted here on the forum about it. xeroc has been outstanding with his attitude. What if we could discover people in sirlo's position and also those like xeroc, and even things out a bit? I guess it's not feasible, but I want to ask the question just in case...

I know xeroc wasn't offering anything to sirlo - I just want to ascertain whether or not the idea is feasible and also whether or not the community would want to support people like sirlo.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

why is it now infamous?
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline GaltReport

Edit: I thought it was as follows:

DNS: Original Snapshot plus special pre-announcement snapshot

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:04:50 pm by GaltReport »

Offline Riverhead

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:56:19 pm by Riverhead »

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=10279.0

Offline GaltReport

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:49:00 pm by GaltReport »

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
We cannot promise anything but know that if we can we try to do right by everyone.

thanks bytemaster. it is just the effort it is important. the most of my DNS are from AGS so on this allocation we disagree, but this is now the past.

do you have already posted the new "vision" , you have in your head? would be good to read something to get rid of the bad taste  :D

Offline bytemaster

We cannot promise anything but know that if we can we try to do right by everyone.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange

maybe BTER can settel this if they hold records. They are forward looking people who will give our share if they can.

really funny part is. BTSX is building a trading plattform and the only people who are always screwed are "traders". i don't get the logic behind, if the traders just fud to get rid of them. i am not a trader i invest and kept the bought DNS on BTER out of convience.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:38:48 pm by Shentist »