Author Topic: Fix for DNS Holders who lost money buying into DNS  (Read 36363 times)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I'm trying to see if bter and btc38 can do retroactive snapshots
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
If yes, then I don't know... Did you move the funds around? Did you vote? If you just left them in your AGS private keys without moving them, I don't know the answer to your question... Anybody else?

I suppose (!) that if you only imported the keys into your wallet this will not have been noticed by the blockchain, IOW the genesis transactions are still sitting in the genesis blocks. If, however, you "moved them around" by voting or otherwise sending them to a different address they will definitely have been moved from the genesis block. Lucky me. Hopefully.

I must say, this is indeed a *very* clever move by bm. The people who are most loudly complaining about his proposal are also the most likely to have touched their genesis stake. So this proposed "fix" is very well targeted.

The only people we need to make whole are those who bought in after launch. Those are necessarily shares that moved.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
If yes, then I don't know... Did you move the funds around? Did you vote? If you just left them in your AGS private keys without moving them, I don't know the answer to your question... Anybody else?

I suppose (!) that if you only imported the keys into your wallet this will not have been noticed by the blockchain, IOW the genesis transactions are still sitting in the genesis blocks. If, however, you "moved them around" by voting or otherwise sending them to a different address they will definitely have been moved from the genesis block. Lucky me. Hopefully.

I must say, this is indeed a *very* clever move by bm. The people who are most loudly complaining about his proposal are also the most likely to have touched their genesis stake. So this proposed "fix" is very well targeted.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline bobb

• View Profile
doh! I bought a btc worth of DNS the day before the proposal expecting a 'merger' would push the price up, to my dismay it did the exact opposite and dropped it by more than 1/2. I of course then cut my losses yesterday and sold them all off at around 110. Then this announcement. I do not think I could have played this any worse.

The post that caused the 50% fall.

Unless this means I will get credit for having them at that moment?

I stated earlier that it wasn't just about the money. So if the snapshot with bter works out and your dns investment was a significant one for you I'll take care of that loss for you!
Just please be honest about it :)

Offline Riverhead

I would say I am speechless but for those that have met me you know that is never the case :) .

HUGE props to BM, toast, and I3 for doing this. You certainly didn't have to. This shows your commitment to the community, your willingness to take ownership of a bad situation, and make a fair decision to try and right the ship.

Outstanding.

Xeldal

How would this work?  won't most of this then just go to the exchange addresses?  How will it make its way to individual users?

Bter and BTC38 are really great about distributing these kinds of things to users. The problem will be if they don't have pre-announcement snapshots...

The whole blockchain is a series of 10 second snapshots.  Everybody has every possible snapshot.  Pick a block. The snapshot is defined.  Gotta love this stuff.

The question is whether the exchange has a snapshot of their internal records per account at that time. Not the blockchains record.

Xeldal

Query:

I claimed my AGS allocation via my KEYID wallet. I have something over a million DNS.  Help me out here. Are my DNS still on the genesis block or did I move them to my wallet when I claimed them? Just trying to understand if claiming my DNS yesterday effected my allocation today.

only people who are bought DNS on a exchange or get them from someone will get extra DNS from the I3 funds. Not AGS/PTS allocation on the genesis block.

My understanding is that anyone who had claimed DNS in their possession would have a part of the share drop. Unclaimed genesis stakes wouldn't be included

To be clear.  Not just imported into a wallet.  You would have to have moved them from there genesis address to another address. That is my understanding.  Just importing them does not move them.

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
Query:

I claimed my AGS allocation via my KEYID wallet. I have something over a million DNS.  Help me out here. Are my DNS still on the genesis block or did I move them to my wallet when I claimed them? Just trying to understand if claiming my DNS yesterday effected my allocation today.

Did you claim them before BM's announcement yesterday? If no, then you're not entitled to any of the AGS funds.

Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline Chuckone

• View Profile
Query:

only people who are bought DNS on a exchange or get them from someone will get extra DNS from the I3 funds. Not AGS/PTS allocation on the genesis block.

My understanding is that anyone who had claimed DNS in their possession would have a part of the share drop. Unclaimed genesis stakes wouldn't be included

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
doh! I bought a btc worth of DNS the day before the proposal expecting a 'merger' would push the price up, to my dismay it did the exact opposite and dropped it by more than 1/2. I of course then cut my losses yesterday and sold them all off at around 110. Then this announcement. I do not think I could have played this any worse.

bytemaster stated they took the snapshot before his post on the forum. so you should be save to get this extra allocation.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
Query:

Offline mint chocolate chip

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
How would this work?  won't most of this then just go to the exchange addresses?  How will it make its way to individual users?

Bter and BTC38 are really great about distributing these kinds of things to users. The problem will be if they don't have pre-announcement snapshots...

The whole blockchain is a series of 10 second snapshots.  Everybody has every possible snapshot.  Pick a block. The snapshot is defined.  Gotta love this stuff.

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline werneo

• View Profile
    • chronicle of the precession of simulacra
  • BitShares: werneo
Query:

Offline bobb

• View Profile
I'd like to hear from Bobb as well.

Thanks! You came up with a brilliant solution!
Only problem is that bter has a 1.5M daily withdrawal limit, so I guess a lot of people have a part of their balance at bter.
Do we have a contact at bter or does anyone know to reach them? Can I help anyhow in that process?

Don't wanna complain at all: If we get this sorted with bter it is brilliant.

Thank you Bytemaster, Thank you toast!