Author Topic: WeTube DAC - decentralized media provider - the future YouTube  (Read 16877 times)

Offline liberman

• View Profile
Some people complaining about downloads from github, so I put the abstract here:

WeTube

the new revolutionary p2p media provider

WeTube comes in a time in which we are seing enourmus efforts from the people to overcome the problems of censorship and central information control over all Internet. Notorius are the examples of YouTube, Vimeo, and other regulated places. YouTube itself, for example, is directly censored in many countries (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube_Censorship), impiding people to access to the biggest media database avaiable today for humans, and therefore making a precius source of information not avaiable for human evolution and free interchange of information.

But not only censorships ocur to websites, but also the websites themselves are obliged to censor many of the contents that the users upload, many times to adjust to arbitrarian regulations that are imposed by a few, only serve a few, and restrict the majority.

We belive this is a serius problem, and we should overcome it by the means we can for the moment: technology.

We are happy to present here a good solution, and we expect that the technology expressed in this document can make you excited enough to understand the big implications that this is going to achieve very soon.

We exorte you to join us. We truly need you, as this is a movement from humans to humans. Please read on.

Offline liberman

• View Profile
UPDATE: please join us on #wetube on freenode and read the paper put here:
https://github.com/wetube/wetube-web

We are planning to use the original bytemaster code and get ideas from there.
We are already a team of 4 individuals, but we still need programmers with profound knowledge on internet protocols, or at least with enough time to learn.

You can help in any means you want/can.
In fact, there are many areas we need to cover, and we need a good contribution base.
For example: legal advisors, thinkers, translators, programmers, designers, anything!

This is a very good idea, I wish I had the time to learn more on internet protocols so I could help you. I wish you the best of luck in this project.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 08:51:11 pm by liberman »

Offline phoenix

• View Profile

We are already a team of 4 individuals, but we still need programmers with profound knowledge on internet protocols, or at least with enough time to learn.

This is a very good idea, I wish I had the time to learn more on internet protocols so I could help you. I wish you the best of luck in this project.
Protoshares: Pg5EhSZEXHFjdFUzpxJbm91UtA54iUuDvt
Bitmessage: BM-NBrGi2V3BZ8REnJM7FPxUjjkQp7V5D28

Offline liberman

• View Profile

Offline bytemaster

That's a very neat idea Bytemaster, any plan to release it as an official DAC?

After we have a multimillion dollar dev budget. 

Or after we create a very nice open source comunity.
What is going to happen first?

I hope both happen soon :)
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline liberman

• View Profile

Or after we create a very nice open source comunity.
What is going to happen first?

Offline bytemaster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline phoenix

• View Profile

Offline bytemaster

Interesting, bytemaster.
But I think the problem with your original idea is about the people donating to the network.
This is different, as we are a truly substitute for Youtube. Free for users, but paid by advertisers.

The nodes in my network are paid and operate for-profit, there is no donation.

Offline liberman

• View Profile
Interesting, bytemaster.
But I think the problem with your original idea is about the people donating to the network.
This is different, as we are a truly substitute for Youtube. Free for users, but paid by advertisers.

Offline bytemaster

I agree that there's a big opportunity for this, but the distributed storage required for this would be much greater than what's normally used for a cryptocurrency block chain. In addition to keeping track of the currency on a blockchain, you would have to store what could easily be terabytes of video. You could either accomplish this by increasing the amount of data that each node is expected to store, or by increasing the number of nodes on the network.

I agree that it would require terabytes of data to store everything, but if you read carefully, I clearly say that it will going to be P2P. Much like bittorrent but optimized for real-time playback. So actually only the users store the content. Servers are the interface only.
When a user press "add to favorite", then he becomes a seed. And while the user is watching a video, he acts also as a seed for the content he is actually viewing.
So there is no need for storing any video in any server, with one exception: when someone pays a fee, the media is cached in the servers, and the servers are the shareholders of the DAC, so they obtain revenue in exchange for the space and bandwidth.

I think your idea is brilliant and may be a killer app. This is a DAC that should be built.

This is what I was working on prior to BitShares: https://github.com/bytemaster/tornet has the key to building this DAC.

Offline liberman

• View Profile
Yeah! Anyone interested please answer here if  you can help.
If the idea goes forward, I think we would need:

Programmers: C++ and Javascript/HTML.
Program analysts: to find ways to implement the algorithms and make the system invulnerable and unbreakable.
Economists. To help thinking about the business model and how to make this productive in the details.
Legal advisers: to help thinking about possible legal issues related to copyright for the shareholders/servers, or how to avoid them.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
I agree that there's a big opportunity for this, but the distributed storage required for this would be much greater than what's normally used for a cryptocurrency block chain. In addition to keeping track of the currency on a blockchain, you would have to store what could easily be terabytes of video. You could either accomplish this by increasing the amount of data that each node is expected to store, or by increasing the number of nodes on the network.

I agree that it would require terabytes of data to store everything, but if you read carefully, I clearly say that it will going to be P2P. Much like bittorrent but optimized for real-time playback. So actually only the users store the content. Servers are the interface only.
When a user press "add to favorite", then he becomes a seed. And while the user is watching a video, he acts also as a seed for the content he is actually viewing.
So there is no need for storing any video in any server, with one exception: when someone pays a fee, the media is cached in the servers, and the servers are the shareholders of the DAC, so they obtain revenue in exchange for the space and bandwidth.

I think your idea is brilliant and may be a killer app. This is a DAC that should be built.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline liberman

• View Profile
Ok, that makes more sense. Do you think this should use its own cryptocurrency, or would it be better for it just to use some currently existing cryptocurrency? Or, perhaps several media DACs could all honor a single coin, thus greatly increasing its value and usefulness.

Not exactly, it would be a stock. Just like Apple and Google are stocks and they operate on regular markets, this would be another stock  operating on the Bitshares market.
Dividends could be perfectly paid in any other currency (like Bitcoins or Bitshares).

Instead of mining, the shares of this stock are obtained by serving bandwidth and space. The more you serve, the more shares you obtain, and therefore the more dividends you win.
You can also sell or buy stocks.

Offline phoenix

• View Profile
Ok, that makes more sense. Do you think this should use its own cryptocurrency, or would it be better for it just to use some currently existing cryptocurrency? Or, perhaps several media DACs could all honor a single coin, thus greatly increasing its value and usefulness.