Author Topic: What is BTS mission?  (Read 3151 times)

Offline cn-members

• View Profile
This is a GREAT topic and one i've been discussing recently with Dan and others on the core team.  I wrote this up just a couple days ago in fact, and looking to get feedback on what you may think of the quality of the questions, and of course the answers to these.  This is a perfect time to clarify and find focus for BitShares, with all the upcoming changes:

BITSHARES:  BRAND, MESSAGE AND MISSION

WHAT IS OUR MISSION?
Why are we in business? What is our highest value? What is our purpose for existing?

WHAT BUSINESS ARE WE IN?
In one sentence, what do we do? What IS BitShares?  If we can’t explain it in a tweet (140 characters), we don’t know what business we’re in. (very challening to do that now).

WHAT DO WE DO BEST?
We need to do ONE thing well and we need to be the BEST at doing that thing. 
What do we do better than anyone else in the world?   

IS IT EASY TO UNDERSTAND?
Our business needs to be CLEAR to understand. 
People should “get it” immediately.

IS OUR SERVICE INTUITIVE TO USE?
BitShares software needs to be easy to use and intuitive. 
Is it fast and easy to download? Is it easy to use and share it with others?

WHY SHOULD ANYONE CARE ABOUT BITSHARES?
Why would most people be interested in what we have to offer?
Do people know WIIFM (what’s in it for me?)

thanks for your great post!
we have translated it here:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=10710.0

especially,
members from chinese community had a discussion on this in qq,
and we will post our suggestions on it later.
thank you!
BTS中文区发言人公共账号,帮助社区有效沟通与交流。
Chinese Community Spokesman Account,to help the effective communication between Chinese and other members of the community.We're not translators to do regular translations , but will help with vital ones as we see fit and available at that time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
@robrigo: +5%

I tried to also write something down .. but it seems I am not as talented for marketing .. I'll stick with technical stuff :)

Offline robrigo

These questions as well as a lot of the very interesting discussion across the forums lately got me thinking, below I have included my interpretation of what BitShares is all about (bolded) in response to the thought provoking questions you put forward Brian. My thoughts are inspired by the community at large for all the discussion around BTS the Platform, cooperatives, self regulating DACs, and the evolution of organizational structures that the ideal DAC represents.

This is a GREAT topic and one i've been discussing recently with Dan and others on the core team.  I wrote this up just a couple days ago in fact, and looking to get feedback on what you may think of the quality of the questions, and of course the answers to these.  This is a perfect time to clarify and find focus for BitShares, with all the upcoming changes:

WHAT IS OUR MISSION?
Why are we in business? What is our highest value? What is our purpose for existing?

The purpose of BitShares is to engender a high degree of transparency and privacy for the good of the global societal collective. BitShares values the inalienable rights of life, liberty, and prosperity and strives to enable the voluntary security of these rights for all of humanity. To that end, BitShares utilizes the concept of universal transparent ledgers introduced by Satoshi Nakamoto in Bitcoin to enhance the trust, engagement, and connectedness of global citizens in preexisting social and civic systems, now made possible with consensus driven blockchain technology. BitShares can achieve these goals due to the self organizing and regulating nature of Decentralized Autonomous Companies which enable new forms of collective human behavior whereby the incentives of all participants are aligned.

WHAT BUSINESS ARE WE IN?
In one sentence, what do we do? What IS BitShares?  If we can’t explain it in a tweet (140 characters), we don’t know what business we’re in. (very challenging to do that now).

Taking a few jabs at this one...

BitShares is a decentralized platform, enabling consensus driven collective action applicable to ledger based systems like money and voting.

BitShares is a new kind of platform for enabling consensus driven collective action applied to ledger based systems like money and voting.

WHAT DO WE DO BEST?

BitShares is the de facto leader in applying collective action in a consensus driven manner for the betterment of humanity. Specifically, what BitShares does better is collective organization where all participants benefit maximally because none have an unfair advantage due to wealth, influence, or power.

The point to drive home is that BitShares aims to be a more efficient, fair, and mutually beneficial collective organizational structure than any which have been realized by modern civilization. It could potentially be the backbone for a global sharing economy.

Like a fine wine, it gets better with age. The software ecosystem is yet young and I am sure we will see client ease of use become smoother and larger potential userbases as mobile and web wallet functionality is built.

A more efficient organizational structure means more resources within the system are put to better use. These efficiency gains are shared by all participants in a Decentralized Autonomous Company. What's in it for everybody besides that self interested benefit is the ability to hold the public institutions that serve us and bind us together as a global community to a higher standard of excellence by giving the public at large the ability to independently audit the open source software or "constitution" of the DAC at any time. A DAC organization naturally fends off corruption because by its transparent and open nature the interests of the majority are always properly aligned.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 02:15:21 pm by robrigo »

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile

WHAT IS OUR MISSION?

WHAT BUSINESS ARE WE IN?
In one sentence, what do we do? What IS BitShares?  If we can’t explain it in a tweet (140 characters), we don’t know what business we’re in. (very challening to do that now).

WHAT DO WE DO BEST?

MktDirector/Brian Page:  Great, now lets answer these questions.  If you want community help either set up a poll on the forum or a thread on this forum and you will get some great answers which you will sift through.

My answer like Bytemasters is the root:

TO free the world.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 12:11:21 am by eagleeye »

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit

WHAT IS OUR MISSION?

WHAT BUSINESS ARE WE IN?

WHAT DO WE DO BEST?

Related to "What business are we in?" but also "What is the market?".  Looking at this Peter Thiel video here, http://startupclass.samaltman.com/courses/lec05/, its imperative to understand what is the initial market(s) bitshares will absolutely dominate for users and grow from.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
My mission in life is to find free market solutions to secure life, liberty and property for all.

You have a very big mission in your life and you are very lucky to have discover that. My mission in this life is to be good to people around me and try to help others with every possible way I can.

If BTS goes where I am hoping it will go it will help me cut my economical chains and focus in something bigger as well. I just don't like how our society has become and we need to change a lot of things for the future generation. BTS will be the mean to this goal.

Offline MktDirector

• View Profile

WHAT IS OUR MISSION?

WHAT BUSINESS ARE WE IN?

WHAT DO WE DO BEST?

Offline bytemaster

My mission in life is to find free market solutions to secure life, liberty and property for all.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
I'm starting to think that the bitUSD marketing push will be completely irrelevant

What you are missing is that everyone in the altcoin space are speculating ruthlessly, and that appearance is reality. So long as the marketing push is a significant event in the cryptospace market cap will go quite insane, and this has very real implications for Delegate pay and the amount of projects that can be started first quarter of 2015.

Offline starspirit

• View Profile

Offline yellowecho

What is the overriding mission of BTS?

The overriding mission of BitShares is the same as it's alway been:
http://bitshares.org/vision/

And like other companies its also interested in offering the best and most innovative, quality products and services in its market.

What is the core product or product set and its leap in user experience?

I suggest you checkout Stan's post "BitShares the Platform":
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=10293.msg135034#msg135034

BitSharesX (BTSX) is shares in a DAC.  BitShares (BTS) is shares in a DAC platform.  A DAC operating system.

This DAC-OS provides (or will provide) a whole bunch of common services that are much less effective if they aren't common services:
A unified basket of stable, robust global currencies (bitAssets)
A unified set of well compensated, best-of-breed delegates.
A unified name system.
A unified secure messaging system.
A unified set of on and off ramps - portals to the fiat world.
A unified marketing message.
A unified consensus-based governing system.
A unified family of tools and wallets.
A unified way for newcomers to make instant friends with everyone already there.
A built-in venture capital system where you can compete for start-up funds - democratically.
New business developers (DAC engineers) shouldn't want to reinvent these things any more than I would want to reinvent my computer's device drivers and operating system.  And what sense would it make to have different competing operating systems, each with a subset of drivers and services?

What is the most immediate market of users?
The most immediate will be the same crypto-nerds using BTSX and BTC already but there will be several marketing strategies targeting a wide variety of user bases (many of which have never even purchased a Bitcoin before) once the new client is ready.

What metrics of growth are key to look at?
Growth of market share, new users, R&D, shareholder equity, etc.

What is going to make the biggest difference to growth in the next 3 and 12 months?
The merger.  Company mergers are extremely beneficial when entering new markets and introducing new products via R&D as it can:  1) Streamline administrative functions  2) Increase market share  3) Lower operational costs  4) Offer financial leveraging  5) Improve profitability  6) Increase earnings per share.

The new BTS-platform is going to include all the best features of BTSX, DNS, KeyID, VOTE, and even turing completeness like Ethereum making it an absolute powerhouse and will set the standard for future decentralized autonomous companies.

Is this too traditional a way to think of things?
From a business perspective, the merger is an absolutely fantastic idea. 

696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline Brent.Allsop

• View Profile
    • Canonizer.com

You seem to be asking for answers about short-term goals and measures of success, so you may not be interested in the long-term reasons for why I am in this, and my goals.

For me, it is all about making all the hierarchies, bureaucracies, and selfish bastards at the top, getting everyone to do what they want… irrelevant.  It is time to flip things upside down, find out, concisely and quantitatively, what everyone at the bottom, doing all the work, wants.  Once we can know that, and fund that, we can finally ignore all the selfish bastards at the top, and start focusing on what everyone at the bottom wants, without them.  We soon will not need middle-men and hierarchies anymore.

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
I have always considered the goal of bitshares to be giving free people the ability to interact with each other in a better way than that afforded by the current system.  I think the biggest roadblock is currently a shortage of free people.  How do we free them.  That is the biggest question to answer.  Many do not even see the chains that bind them. 

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Rune

• View Profile
I think the only thing that matters right now is to get as many delegate-developers on board as possible, and perhaps acquiring NXT or another altcoin within a few months to ensure a diversified base of stakeholders.

I'm starting to think that the bitUSD marketing push will be completely irrelevant, because in the grand scheme of things the only thing that matters is to consolidate all crypto developers under our blockchain. Then it will literally not be possible for anyone to compete with us.

Offline starspirit

• View Profile
This is a confusing period, but also a chance for the new BTS to clarify plans for future success. As the restructure completes and the discussion moves on, I would like to see some focused discussion around the keys to future growth. The story is complicated I think because there are multiple DAC concepts being brought under one umbrella. For example:

What is the overriding mission of BTS?
What is the core product or product set and its leap in user experience?
What is the most immediate market of users?
What metrics of growth are key to look at?
What is going to make the biggest difference to growth in the next 3 and 12 months?

Is this too traditional a way to think of things?