Author Topic: [POLL] When BitShares Makes Its Move...  (Read 5291 times)

Offline xh3

• View Profile
    • Bit-Cents
Investment in BTS is out of reach for people not already into crypto....

Don't be so sure about that... ;)

..currently.  I hear that people are working on it, but to me, a wary investor, it's still a matter of faith.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Investment in BTS is out of reach for people not already into crypto....

Don't be so sure about that... ;)

Offline xh3

• View Profile
    • Bit-Cents
If Bitshares can swim against the tide of a falling Bitcoin, It'll be ready to soar when the next BTC Bull run begins.  BTS fate is tied to BTC for the nonce.... Investment in BTS is out of reach for people not already into crypto....

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
If bitcoin goes to $100  and the price of BTS is unaffected in usd terms i.e. @ 0.00023BTC, would you sell your $stable BTS to get x3.5 cheap bitcoins?
If the answer is yes then BTS will not succeed and we will always be in the shadow of bitcoin. If the answer is no then BTS has no limits and will surpass bitcoin very soon..

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Im of the opinion that a deep depression in Bitcoin is necessary to force people to think about the deep flaws that Bitcoin has. If Bitcoin does bubble again, people will continue to delude themselves that mining is not destroying value.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Bordering on delusional to think BitShares will succeed in the near future if Bitcoin goes into a deep depression or fades completely. What we need most right now is crypto-hype returning so we can reach a market cap capable of sustaining tens of projects with million dollar budgets during 2015. I have always had a vision that it would be crypto 2.0 that returned the hype to crypto this time around, so NXT, Counter Party, Ethereum and BitShares might be able to renew interest in Bitcoin and spark the next bubble (Bitcoin to 15 billion, NXT to 200 million, Counter Party to 150 million, Ethereum to 400 million and BitShares to 1 billion).

Exactly.  Another bubble in bitcoin helps us.  Bitcoin going to 100 would make things harder, as it would require us to gain value entirely by making new users, rather than gaining some spillover from those interested in bitcoin.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline kisa

• View Profile
Bordering on delusional to think BitShares will succeed in the near future if Bitcoin goes into a deep depression or fades completely. What we need most right now is crypto-hype returning so we can reach a market cap capable of sustaining tens of projects with million dollar budgets during 2015. I have always had a vision that it would be crypto 2.0 that returned the hype to crypto this time around, so NXT, Counter Party, Ethereum and BitShares might be able to renew interest in Bitcoin and spark the next bubble (Bitcoin to 15 billion, NXT to 200 million, Counter Party to 150 million, Ethereum to 400 million and BitShares to 1 billion).
+5%

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 03:49:55 pm by CLains »

Offline inarizushi

• View Profile
Even if bitcoin drops, we can market bitUSD to non crypto people. If bitcoin drops when bitshares is up, some bitcoin coin fanatics may want to join the trip to the moon rather than staying on the sinking boat.
In my opinion bitcoin's position doesn't matter :)
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
A year from now we could have more users that Bitcoin.

This sounds very over-optimistic.

It's within three sigmas of probability.  :)

The point was that if it did it would be mostly new people.
let's again highlight this:

... and I am not referring to the "Moderator" status 8-)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

It's within three sigmas of probability.  :)

The point was that if it did it would be mostly new people.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline jamesc

Survival of the fittest!   But that's a lot better when we have a lot of good contributors like Bitcoin.  I want to see Bitcoin improve mining and funding in their own way.

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
Bitcoin weakness is good for BitShares taking no.2

'Look Bitcoin is on a downtrend & volatile, we're going up and we have BitAssets'

Bitcoin's general weakness stems slightly from it's centralisation & wasteful mining.
More so though from its volatility that makes it unsuitable for trade & storing value. BitAssets solve that.

However all decentralised options are an alternative to centralised ones. Cyprus was a catalyst for Bitcoin but since then to the average person the financial system seems to have stabilised. It hasn't. When it breaks even in a small way, that is what will catapult decentralised options into the mainstream again.

So outside the normal marketing, game 1 is to have a marketing plan in place to capitalise on Bitcoin weakness & slingshot into no.2 and game 2 is to have a marketing plan that capitalises and sling shots off centralised weakness. (Why Argentina is such a good target, centralised weakness is already in play.)

Offline BTSdac

• View Profile
  • BitShares: K1
I really hope the Bitshares people are not trying to make BTS compete with Bitcoin. If anything, we should try to find a way to get them to complement each other. Trying to compete with Bitcoin wouldn't be that smart imo.

We are not trying to compete with Bitcoin.
We are targeting completely new demographics.
And 99% of them will not be ex-Bitcoiners.

Of course, if that happens there may be a lot of bitcoiners wanting to move 90% of their holdings from Bitcoin checking to BitShares savings where they can earn +1.
is there any online store want to support bitusd , or BTS ,you konw BTS can confire in  10s, it is much better than other coin even don`t consider peg funtion
github.com :pureland
BTS2.0 API :ws://139.196.37.179:8091
BTS2.0 API 数据源ws://139.196.37.179:8091

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
I really hope the Bitshares people are not trying to make BTS compete with Bitcoin. If anything, we should try to find a way to get them to complement each other. Trying to compete with Bitcoin wouldn't be that smart imo.

We are not trying to compete with Bitcoin.
We are targeting completely new demographics.
And 99% of them will not be ex-Bitcoiners.

Of course, if that happens there may be a lot of bitcoiners wanting to move 90% of their holdings from Bitcoin checking to BitShares savings where they can earn +1.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
needs to turn around soon.. to capture
network effect i hope i3 has some btc allocated to
shore up confidence... long term bears
in a immature market is furthest from devs
interest
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline kisa

• View Profile
The following answer option is missing on the poll:

BTC rally will likely help BTS, but BTS would also succeed without it.
(encompassing both first and third answers)

Offline Frodo03

• View Profile

Offline House

• CEO BTCOR Group
    • View Profile
    • BTCOR
  • BitShares: house-ceo
I create a coin [dollar] that the world uses to trade. I can secretly mint as many of these as I want, adding to the pool of coins, but at the same time I use some of these new coins to buy up any other coins, that cannot be created so easily (commodities) that are being used as a ratio to value my coin. I will effectively inflate these other coins for a short time before reaching a critical point where my ability to manipulate them offsets the balance in my favour.

Bitcoin is a threat to the current system. It has been since its adoption on relative mass. Let’s not kid ourselves that large accumulation over the past year has been at the expense of the central banking cartel. They are not sucking their thumbs while watching from the sofa.

Likewise Bitshares is at risk from the same animal with an added risk that its shareholders may not necessarily have the education/aptitude to vote in the best interests of the technology.

Although the downtrend of Bitcoin reduces the margin between it and Bitshares, this is not a great achievement.
Conversely, both the reduction of Bitcoins marketcap and a rise in the bitshares marketcap may give a solid impression.

Ultimately I would like to see us reach a point where the general population will have little choice but to embrace Bitshares and its family of Dacs. [ie. Streamlined Educational, Financial, Commercial facilities etc.]

As I read here on the forum somewhere… ‘Henry Ford had suggested that if he had asked the people what they wanted they would have answered “a faster horse”’

Offline Overthetop

BTS is an independent business ecosystem using blockchain technology to realize more efficient and lower cost, so , as long as the blockchain industry grows ,BTS will grow steadily and accordingly .

个人微博账号: Overthetop_万里晴空
“块链创新与创业”交流群: 330378613

Offline Mysto

• View Profile
Hopefully after the market push happens bitcoin's price and status will be irrelevant to Bitshares.

Offline dna_gym

• View Profile
I hope a synergistic effect.
If Bitcoin way of decentralization experiment fails, it is an unfortunate thing.
It is more helpful when the entire ecosystem thrives. :)

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
Poll voters are currently wrong. :P

A rising bitcoin is like a rising stock market - it is good for all stocks.  In this case, stocks are altcoins. 

Its a lot easier for Bitshares to go up 10x if bitcoin doubles, than if it goes down.

Agreed. Bitcoin represents cryptocurrencies, so rising Bitcoin means increasing the pie size.
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Poll voters are currently wrong. :P

A rising bitcoin is like a rising stock market - it is good for all stocks.  In this case, stocks are altcoins. 

Its a lot easier for Bitshares to go up 10x if bitcoin doubles, than if it goes down. 

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Bitcoin seems to be in a long term downtrend. Is this good for BitShares? More money coming into crypto would lift many boats. However, the erosion of Bitcoin's market cap makes it easier to catch and possibly more vulnerable to a strong alternative currency. Which situation would you rather see? Which one benefits BitShares the most?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 05:52:12 am by donkeypong »