Author Topic: FOOD for thought ?  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
One point I was making is that no matter how revolutionary and practical a business may be, a threat is a threat and whether right or wrong, actions taken by parties (Govt. Banks, Corporations etc) will strive undermine your enterprise to favour their own.

I agree that they will take every possible action they can to undermine something that they feel threatens their power. I just don't think that they can win in the long term.

In this 2 weeks old thread https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9718.0 JoeyD linked this really amazing video http://youtu.be/_LRRA1tBIS8 you can start it from 6:40 if you are in a hurry, a must see for everyone that has missed it.

Key slide from this presentation, for easy access and discussion:

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

chryspano

One point I was making is that no matter how revolutionary and practical a business may be, a threat is a threat and whether right or wrong, actions taken by parties (Govt. Banks, Corporations etc) will strive undermine your enterprise to favour their own.

I agree that they will take every possible action they can to undermine something that they feel threatens their power. I just don't think that they can win in the long term.

In this 2 weeks old thread https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9718.0 JoeyD linked this really amazing video http://youtu.be/_LRRA1tBIS8 you can start it from 6:40 if you are in a hurry, a must see for everyone that has missed it.

Offline House

• CEO BTCOR Group
    • View Profile
    • BTCOR
  • BitShares: house-ceo
ED: What's your moral of the story?

i only did arrive at that one ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rUySWE8Ats
I loved that song... long lost, thank you 8)

I am relieved you didn't take this as an offence. ;)
To be honest, for me it was somewhat difficult to follow what analogy you were pursuing...

No offence taken. It is rather complex (by design). One point I was making is that no matter how revolutionary and practical a business may be, a threat is a threat and whether right or wrong, actions taken by parties (Govt. Banks, Corporations etc) will strive undermine your enterprise to favour their own. What is our archilles heel  ? Who could we embrace to best increase our chance of survival. How could the new communities (DACs) survive without the magic sauce (Internet/protocol). Should we have allowed the local council (state govts) a method of revenue to placate them engendering general acceptance and consequently mass adoption? This is simply too big and too disruptive for us to merrily chug along expecting logic or reason to prevail. We are talking about millions of people who's livelihoods are at stake (alternative food outlets/financial institutions) and Trillions of dollars in lost corporate revenues.

There are many ways to chew this sandwich. It is simply intended to provoke thought. That is all
Thanks Kisa

Offline kisa

• View Profile

i only did arrive at that one ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rUySWE8Ats
I loved that song... long lost, thank you 8)

I am relieved you didn't take this as an offence. ;)
To be honest, for me it was somewhat difficult to follow what analogy you were pursuing...

Offline House

• CEO BTCOR Group
    • View Profile
    • BTCOR

chryspano

The "alternative food outlets" aka Banks, took the wrong decision and will soon be out of business! They can try but they can't win, they will have to adapt or perish.

Offline johncitizen

• View Profile
After enjoying a monopoly with %99900 profit you then liquidate stock and holdings at the %29900 rate and close business. After making it big in the sandwich game you then learn about crypto and invest in DACS/BTS.

Magic sauce now sells for 21BTC/Oz on the Silkroad and we voted a new council in. 

Offline kisa

• View Profile

Offline House

• CEO BTCOR Group
    • View Profile
    • BTCOR
Once upon a time there was a new sandwich shop opened on the corner. Everyone in the area flocked to pay $1 for this sandwich because its filling was certified organic with a magic sauce.
They spent a lot of money on research and development, streamlined production line equipment spending an irreversible fortune, knowing that this is what the people wanted. Business boomed.

After a year or so, people who had previously bought these sandwiches told two people who told two people etc and before long demand had risen exponentially that people where paying $1000 to get to the front of the que for the same sandwhich.

The local council seeing multitudes of people lining the streets to the door could do little but put up street cameras and monitor the situation. How they could capitalize on this traffic was their main concern, hidden beneath a veil of security issues.

A smart entrepreneurial bread maker eventually set up his own sandwich shop and using the same base sauce (which was now available at the supermarket) made it possible for people to not only create their own sandwhich but with any filling they could imagine for only $1 and because the equipment used to create a production line had already been engineered they spent their R&D money on improving flow allowing ten times the amount of people to be served at a time

Now the two sandwhich shops were the best in their business but the original sandwhich shop started to lose customers to the later one but could not reduce the price in order to compete. The premium to get to the front of the que dropped to $300

However, the sandwich shop that improved on the original design was selling every kind of sandwich imaginable and people soon formed their own communities based on their appetites.

Once again the local council seeing multitudes of people lining the streets to the door could do little but put up street cameras and monitor the situation. Eventually the council mandated a flat tax on each and any store that sold these new sandwiches.

Many other entrepreneurial types tried to replicate the fame and fortune without much success. Some had the same sauce but with alternative fillings, some even tried to change the sauce. However they may have tried even to unashamedly copy the entire sandwich, they were still not as successful as the original sandwich shop, neither the later more successful one.

The problem was such that the companies providing raw ingredients had suffered a distinct drop in orders for alternative lines. So although demand for magic sauce was outweighing supply, their warehouses were full of stock that was no longer needed

Eventually, it came to pass that because of the massive success of the two businesses at the expense of the majority of alternative food outlets, the companies that sold other products, feeling the pressure from their shareholders, conspired to disrupt the transportation of magic sauce to both sandwich shops destroying them instantly. :o

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 11:38:44 am by House »