Author Topic: Dear Invictus, we need a social media DAC  (Read 2507 times)

Offline matt608

• View Profile
I've wondered if Maidsafe would be a suitable platform to build this on as they are launching a decentralised + secure Internet around the end of this year. 

(Disclaimer:  I own a few Maidsafecoin)

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
We dont just want one, we need it!

Right now there is absolutely no option to access a safe social media platform. All your data is raped and pillaged immediately and indefinitely. Take a look at these guys and what they are doing http://on.rt.com/f4t5td the platform does not seem to be encrypted they merely will not share your data with 3rd parties and vow to never have advertisements. Standard. But what protects the data?

Notice the demand for their service? Millions of people instantly sign up and millions more waiting to do so. We are obviously very busy coding away the new internet but there is so much opportunity!

An encrypted, secure social media platform is the ultimate viral DAC.

This is being discussed behind the scenes. I'm trying to see if we can form a Bitshares Cooperative so that a social media DAC can be built and owned by the cooperative.

This is something I think Fuzz might be involved with too so there are several of us discussing the ideas around it. The business model I would follow is the Gems model but it appears the Gems model is a lot like the bee pollination model I had been discussing. In order for the bee pollination model to work you need to set it up so the users of the network own the network.

Then you could let advertisers make deals and share the revenue with the cooperative. http://getgems.org/

Without a cooperative you'll only get advertisers who want to use Bitcoin or who know what Bitcoin is. With a cooperative you can partner with anyone, accept regular fiat, and then pay the cooperative in BitAssets.

Adam has something already set up with LTB network. Fuzz is likely going to have his own network. I've got some ideas as well but I'm waiting to see if it can be legally done.

Why is it I3 that has to do all the work?
With the SuperDAC you can setup a business plan, get some fundings and fund developers to build this thing up ..

just DO IT and don't wait for others to have the time first ..

They don't have to do all the work. All we need to do is find ways to make bridges so it's easier to get resources into our community. The SuperDAC is nice but it cannot accept fiat and even if it could it would probably only be from the Bitcoin community.

The Bitcoin market cap has been sinking.
Even if you don't have the skills or knowledge to create it yourself, you can just sit back and wait, or even better apply yourself to some other area where you have expertise that benefits the DAC.

Once the ball gets rolling there will be immense economic incentives for the DAC to develop its own verifiably secure communications platform, which will include social media. As long as the DAC grows it is inevitable that these things will be made.

Each one of us should look at what resources we each can bring to the table. Some of us have elite coding skills like Bytemaster. Some of us have elite communication skills like Stan. Some have elite marketing skills, some have people skills.

All of us have unique resources and capabilities. If you've got a high net worth then you've got fiat resources. If you've got a lot of hardware then you've got hardware resources. If you speak a bunch of languages then you can translate. If you're a socially connected key player in the establishment then you've got social resources.

The problem is we don't have effective bridges to allow people who have certain resources to contribute to our ecosystem. I think we need more bridges so that one of our community members can contact a person and offer them a partnership deal. They have the particular resources our community needs and our community has a delegate spot which could be very lucrative for them.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 04:37:32 pm by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Rune

• View Profile
Even if you don't have the skills or knowledge to create it yourself, you can just sit back and wait, or even better apply yourself to some other area where you have expertise that benefits the DAC.

Once the ball gets rolling there will be immense economic incentives for the DAC to develop its own verifiably secure communications platform, which will include social media. As long as the DAC grows it is inevitable that these things will be made.

Offline stuartcharles

• View Profile
With the SuperDAC you can setup a business plan, get some fundings and fund developers to build this thing up ..

+5% I wish i had the time, skills.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
Isnt this what Nxt is doing with nxtty and Counter Party with Gems?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline ticklebiscuit

• View Profile

Offline johncitizen

• View Profile
This would be interesting. The problem with Ello is that it most likely won't succeed, due to both network effect that Facebook already dominates and poor profitability (because it doesn't have ads). I think we'd need to solve these fundamental problems first...

Users pay for their accounts. That is the only way to do it. You already pay to have a FB account most people just don't realise they sell their soul to use it. They have a few million people lined up to use it overnight. Theres a mass market for alternatives...

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
This would be interesting. The problem with Ello is that it most likely won't succeed, due to both network effect that Facebook already dominates and poor profitability (because it doesn't have ads). I think we'd need to solve these fundamental problems first...

Offline James212

• View Profile
 +5%  Definitely something to look  into.     Maybe we can even leverage our Keyhotee base code(?)
BTS: theangelwaveproject

Offline johncitizen

• View Profile
We dont just want one, we need it!

Right now there is absolutely no option to access a safe social media platform. All your data is raped and pillaged immediately and indefinitely. Take a look at these guys and what they are doing http://on.rt.com/f4t5td the platform does not seem to be encrypted they merely will not share your data with 3rd parties and vow to never have advertisements. Standard. But what protects the data?

Notice the demand for their service? Millions of people instantly sign up and millions more waiting to do so. We are obviously very busy coding away the new internet but there is so much opportunity!

An encrypted, secure social media platform is the ultimate viral DAC.