Author Topic: Idea: 'Summon a Translator' feature  (Read 2487 times)

Offline matt608

• View Profile
:o Maybe implementing the function could cost more developer salary than the money it would save from a translator ?

I heard developers are 5000USD + a month...

It's not very complicated, it wouldn't take long.  Say it took $10k to develop plus a delegate spot (not preventing the delegate to also do other things).  That could save a lot of money i the long run.  People will disagree how much translating needs to be done.  Personally I think much more translating of community discussion will be worth the cost soon, (say in 3-6 months) especially with the social/political nature of voting on Delegates.

Investor confidence is built on communication.

Translating isn't something we need to pay for. It's already happening on the forums. Many bilingual Chinese members translate bytemasters posts almost instantly.

Ok, I guess I have trouble telling what's been translated.  But there is going to need to some kind of translation upgrade when it comes to voting for delegates.  If there's a Chinese delegate making a proposal/campaigning I'm going to want to read everything he says and everything everyone says about him before making my voting decision (not literally everything, but a 'reasonable' amount of opinions from the Chinese community until I feel comfortable that he's trustworthy).  I don't think that level of translation is going on at the moment.  It doesn't need to be but it will.

That will happen organically. If he wants votes, either bilingual Chinese members will come to the English side of the forum and post translations or HE will hire a translator to do the work for him.

Ah good point, I hadn't thought of that.  Nevermind this idea then lol.  Hopefully it will happen as you say.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
:o Maybe implementing the function could cost more developer salary than the money it would save from a translator ?

It's not very complicated, it wouldn't take long.  Say it took $10k to develop plus a delegate spot (not preventing the delegate to also do other things).  That could save a lot of money i the long run.  People will disagree how much translating needs to be done.  Personally I think much more translating of community discussion will be worth the cost soon, (say in 3-6 months) especially with the social/political nature of voting on Delegates.

Translating isn't something we need to pay for. It's already happening on the forums. Many bilingual Chinese members translate bytemasters posts almost instantly.

Ok, I guess I have trouble telling what's been translated.  But there is going to need to some kind of translation upgrade when it comes to voting for delegates.  If there's a Chinese delegate making a proposal/campaigning I'm going to want to read everything he says and everything everyone says about him before making my voting decision (not literally everything, but a 'reasonable' amount of opinions from the Chinese community until I feel comfortable that he's trustworthy).  I don't think that level of translation is going on at the moment.  It doesn't need to be but it will.

That will happen organically. If he wants votes, either bilingual Chinese members will come to the English side of the forum and post translations or HE will hire a translator to do the work for him. I just don't see this being a problem in need of a technical solution. It's a social problem if anything.

Offline matt608

• View Profile

Ok, I guess I have trouble telling what's been translated.  But there is going to need to some kind of translation upgrade when it comes to voting for delegates.  If there's a Chinese delegate making a proposal/campaigning for dilution to fund his work I'm going to want to read everything he says and everything everyone says about him before making my voting decision (not literally everything, but a 'reasonable' amount of opinions from the Chinese community until I feel comfortable that he's trustworthy).  I don't think that level of translation is going on at the moment.  It doesn't need to be but it will.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 06:06:42 pm by matt608 »

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx

Offline matt608

• View Profile

It's not very complicated, it wouldn't take long.  Say it took $10k (a wild guess) to develop plus a delegate spot (not preventing the delegate to also do other things).  That could save a lot of money i the long run.  People will disagree how much translating needs to be done.  Personally I think much more translating of community discussion will be worth the cost soon, (say in 3-6 months) especially with the social/political nature of voting on Delegates.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 05:56:23 pm by matt608 »

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Come to think of it could be a dac or dapp that works worldwide on any website, powered by Bitshares.  Anyone could implement the 'summon a translator' button and get connected up via any website. 

It could be a great way to spread bitUSD.  Promote that anyone can earn bitUSD by doing translations, all they have to do is download the bitUSD wallet and start translating and get paid.

Yes this is what I thought when I read your post.  Then I started thinking about it and realized it could just as well be a centralized website.  There is little need for a blockchain. 
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline matt608

• View Profile

I'm not sure about demand driven by this forum, but there does seem to be potential in this area.  Although I wonder why it needs to be a DAC.  It is more of a DApp.

I hadn't thought of it being a DAC or DApp, just a feature for Invictus or a delegate to develop for use on whatever social platform bitshares ends up on.

Come to think of it could be a dac or dapp that works worldwide on any website, powered by Bitshares.  Anyone could implement the 'summon a translator' button and get connected up via any website. 

It could be a great way to spread bitUSD.  Promote that anyone can earn bitUSD by doing translations, all they have to do is download the bitUSD wallet and start translating and get paid. 

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I'm not sure about demand driven by this forum, but there does seem to be potential in this area.  Although I wonder why it needs to be a DAC.  It is more of a DApp. 
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline matt608

• View Profile
***not a pressing demand just an idea for the future***

Here's an idea to help with the need for more Chinese/English translations of community discussion. 

1 delegate who is fluent in Chinese (Mandarin) and English, who acts as escrow and to quickly check the quality of the translations.  I'll call him delegate T (for translate).

English user writes a post he/she would be happy to pay a tip to have translated into Chinese.  He presses the T button at the bottom of his post and sends 0.50bitUSD (or however much he wants) to delegate T, who holds it in escrow.  Delegate T automatically sends out a notification (via email, or forum PM, whatever) to a list of subscribed translators, notifying them of the new task available.

One of them 'claims' the task and the others translators are notified (or can view it somewhere) that it has been claimed, and not available anymore.  The tasks status is changed to 'being translated now!' (viewable by anyone).  He has 1 hour to complete the translation or else the task becomes unclaimed again and the other translators are notified and he loses the claim. 

Once the translation is complete, the translator publishes the translation and sends a notification to delegate T to check it and release the funds.  If the translation is of reasonably high quality (as judged by delegate T), he releases funds and the translator is paid.  If the translation is of too poor quality delegate T can refuse payment until the translation is improved to a reasonable standard. 

Users can chose to pay for any post to be translated, not just ones they have written.  So if for example there's a great thread that a few users agree should be entirely translated, they can all chip in to get each post translated and published in order.  There could be an option for 'translate whole thread' to ensure it gets re-published in the correct order.

This would end up saving money, as it would be much cheaper than paying a team of full time translators.  And much cheaper than having the Chinese + English community become divided and having increasingly incompatible ideas about BTS.

Hopefully all translation requests would be complete with 24 hours of request.  This also solves the problem of things getting translated more than once as that everyone could see the status of the translation

Why would community members pay for translation?

- To help foreign language speakers understand their vision of BTS more and be inspired, to help keep confidence high and community together and to make sure everyone understands what is going on.
 - To convince the foreign language speakers that a delegate they support is worth voting for.  This allows them to easily spread their grass-roots campaign to the Chinese/whoever.

Too early to implement as we don't even know which social platform this discussion will all end up being done on, but I would say that eventually this may be a vital feature. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 05:35:25 pm by matt608 »