Author Topic: Bitshares PTS as currency & sharedrop instrument (mission, strategy, and goals)  (Read 5020 times)

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
Will this be using the same PTS snapshot on Nov 5 that BTS is using? Or will PoW PTS continue to exist until you snapshot it later for DPOS PTS?

It depends on the progress of the PTS testnet.  You can follow it at http://pts.cubeconnex.com.

ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
Will this be using the same PTS snapshot on Nov 5 that BTS is using? Or will PoW PTS continue to exist until you snapshot it later for DPOS PTS?
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Now this is what I was looking for in the other thread. I still think the project is a tall order, but power to you if you can resurrect PTS. Good summary and best of luck to you!

Tuck Fheman

It is the continuation of "original" PTS after 5th.
If any 3rd party developer decides to honor the original Social Contract this will be the snapshoted chain of PTS.
I personally think that the original contract (that wasn't even technically included in bitsharesX) was breached twice.
I think that there are others who agree. So I also believe continuation of PTS chain is necessary.

So hodl PTS after 5th?

This is where the most confusion lies for me. Is there any reason to hodl PTS after the 5th and if so, why? Is this a reason to hodl after the 5th or just another snapshot on the 5th?

Will PTS simply cease to exist and all coins held after the 5th are worthless? (assuming OP is talking about a snapshot only)

Offline springlh

• View Profile
If any 3rd party developer decides to honor the original Social Contract this will be the snapshoted chain of PTS.
I personally think that the original contract (that wasn't even technically included in bitsharesX) was breached twice.
I think that there are others who agree. So I also believe continuation of PTS chain is necessary.
Agreed.  Here is another believer.
PTS: Pu3UNPm2CbkZw8s7zreArHm472x8F3uWXj
新浪微博 - http://weibo.com/philipli

Offline Riverhead

Very cool. Is the plan to share drop PTS 1:1 with the supply at that time? Or is it going to be like BTS where PTS goes 1:1 with some extra for Dev fund?

This is great news. I can also run a 0% delegate to support the cause.

This includes the following which I think is the base level of support anyone campaigning as an IT candidate should provide:
- High availability block production.
- 12 hour window for new release upgrades.
- node and chain server.
- testnet nodes, chain servers, etc.
- Meaningful participation in dry runs.
- Dedicated hot failover server.

I'll add more to this list as I think of them.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 02:55:23 pm by emski »

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
Excellent!   I really hope you are successful as this will provide a good counter-example or "control" in the experiment.   

While I disagree with your definition of "fairness" I am sure others will agree.   It will give PTS new life and its own following. 

Best of luck!

Thanks Dan. I should add that my discussion of fairness was more about the "perception of fairness" than anything else.

I'll be watching this closely. One question: why are you maintaining the name "PTS?" Merely for historical reasons?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline alphaBar

• View Profile
Excellent!   I really hope you are successful as this will provide a good counter-example or "control" in the experiment.   

While I disagree with your definition of "fairness" I am sure others will agree.   It will give PTS new life and its own following. 

Best of luck!

Thanks Dan. I should add that my discussion of fairness was more about the "perception of fairness" than anything else.

Offline bytemaster

Best of luck!   

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline alphaBar

• View Profile

This is a call to action to upgrade and reposition Bitshares PTS as a currency-DAC & sharedrop instrument. The new Bitshares superDAC (BTS) will be changing in some ways that make it better suited for adoption as a niche application (user-issued asset exchange) and far less suited to gain adoption as a global currency. The superDAC has the following properties that make it suboptimal for use as a currency:

* The threshold for inflation is too low. By allowing inflation of up to 8% perpetually in the protocol, you end up with a situation where large stakeholders are able to "write their own paycheck" for lack of a better term. The biggest stakeholders in the superDAC will be I3, and for all intents and purposes they will be setting their own pay. It would take an almost impossible amount of stake (if you consider the avg participation rate) to "disagree" with their payrate and to vote them out completely. Any currency (even Bitcoin) can be modified for inflation. The difference is that inflation is not baked into the protocol, and would therefore require a far greater "stake" to implement (with a hard fork). Bitshares has ignored one of the main principles of crypto community: that scarcity should be (almost) inviolable.
* The second weakness of the superDAC is distribution. AGS distribution has already alienated some Bitcoin purists who are adamantly against "IPO coins". I don't necessarily agree with their philosophy, but there is a large segment of crypto users who will only invest in coins that have no IPO, no premine, and ONLY PoW distribution. For all its flaws, I agree that PoW distribute has one huge advantage over IPO - it is trustless and provable (i.e., that the devs did not “donate” any coins to themselves during distro).
* The last weakness of the superDAC is a logical extension of the "DAC analogy". The killer app in the crypto-space has always been and will always be currency. Running a DAC like a business will result in a more agile and adaptive token, but these benefits come at the expense of the type of stability that is required for a currency application. In other words, the coin that wins adoption as a widespread currency will have properties that are hugely different from those of a "digital corporation". In order to build a successful currency-DAC, we should run our "business" with the aim of positioning ourselves as the best currency and store of value (the killer app). And to be a good store of value, any coin that maintains the sanctity of scarce supply at the protocol layer, will be leaps and bounds ahead of the competition. The crypto-space is searching for a token that has attributes that are well suited for this application, and Bitshares should have a horse in this race.

The Future

The distribution of value among the top competitors will probably result in something similar to that of credit cards today, with a couple of coins taking a large majority of the market share and a long tail of competitors directed to increasingly niche applications. The coin that wins this battle will likely not be Bitcoin (primarily due to the pitfalls of PoW) and it will not be the coin with the most advanced features (see Nxt). Any coin that becomes a global currency must be appealing to governments and serious investors and must be perceived as (i) fairly distributed, (ii) scarce (non-inflationary), (iii) efficient (DPOS), and (iv) secure. Any feature built on top of this coin cannot be done at the expense of these 4 things.

Why Bitshares PTS?

* PTS is an existing Bitshares product with a wide network of support.
* Despite all of its shortcomings, PoW is the fairest method of distribution that is currently available. PTS has had 100% PoW distribution over 1 year.
* DPOS is hands down the best consensus algorithm, and it should be attempted in a pure and agnostic token with strong scarcity and fair distribution.
* We can piggyback on the work of I3 developers without being bound to the potential pitfalls of their business strategy.
* The purity of PTS distribution also makes it an ideal candidate for sharedropping by other DACs.

What Now?

* We are assembling a technical team. Contact me if you can help in any way (running delegates, testing, etc).
* Brand deck, website, and marketing materials are in the works.
* We need contacts at the major exchanges and a coordinated effort to promote our message.

Please DM me if you’d like to contribute in any way.

Edit: modified logo
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:50:32 am by alphaBar »