Author [EN] [ZH] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [EN] [ZH] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [EN] [ZH] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Marketing Direction - Why not How or What...  (Read 3235 times)

Offline bytemaster

Marketing Direction - Why not How or What...
« on: October 27, 2014, 05:38:32 AM »

I would like to take a step back and help us all reflect on why we are doing what we are doing and what it is that has created this community in the first place.   

I have set out on a mission in life to find free market solutions to secure life, liberty, and property and BitShares is my evolving approach to this problem.   Many people have joined us because of this vision and have become a fan because of what we believe more so than what we have built.   In the middle of our success it is easy to lose sight of what is bringing us all together and what really matters. 

Does our technology help us achieve our purpose, freedom.   Who should our technology appeal to?   It should appeal to those who want economic freedom in both trade and wealth. 

Selling BitShares as a "company" with X, Y, Z features is approaching the space like Dell and not Apple.   Lets reimagine everything, think out side the box and create a society where we can be secure and where threats of violence by the government are overwhelmed by non-violent cooperation.  We all long for freedom, it is universal.    We all long for security.   No one likes theft and violence.     

The problem we have is that most people won't choose to adopt BitUSD because of its yield or merchant adoption.   They will first choose to adopt it because it resonates with something DEEP within... they do it "just because"... to make a statement to the outside world that there is a different way.   

So lets not sell a product with features... lets let people know what we believe and stand for.   Lets let the world know that owning BitShares or buying BitUSD is about making a statement not making an investment.   Bitcoin grew because it allowed people to make a statement... but it was too volatile for more than the true believers in the vision to hold.    BitUSD gives the true believers a safe place to express themselves backed by extreme believers.    You don't accept BitUSD at your business just because it is better than a credit card, you accept it to make a point and that point is that you believe in freedom, transparency, and individual financial sovernty. 

I don't know about you, but this vision is not based upon a share price and does not depend upon any set of features.   It is something that we can build for ourselves at any scale if we can attract like minded people.   

http://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action

So... lets go change the world!   
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Re: Marketing Direction - Why not How or What...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 05:43:22 AM »

I am not really certain what are you trying to say. Let's hope it is my English.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 05:51:08 AM »
Well said. I agree. However, we need BitShares to reach some critical mass, and this will require bringing in more people. These may be people who find some utility from BitShares, not necessarily those who have the same full vision. Once BitShares reaches a critical mass, I believe we will attract far more of those real, "ideal" people who wish to join the movement. But only if we get this thing off the ground first. Suppose 1 in 3 people find BitShares really useful. Now suppose only 1 in 10 people share the full vision. If you're trying to market this to success, it will cost a ton more money to find the ideal people. But if we've already found enough of the useful people first, this thing will take off like a rocket. Virally, through visibility, and using the resources we accumulate through this success, we will be able to reach far more of the ideal people than we otherwise would have reached.

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 05:52:26 AM »

I am not really certain what are you trying to say. Let's hope it is my English.

Perhaps I need to go to bed...  I am only trying to say that we need to advertise what we believe and why we do what we do.... then we can sell how... and lastly we can say what... BTS.

We believe that the free market can secure our life, liberty and property and that through transparent consensus algorithms and solid economics we can provide people the tools to control their investment choices.... these tools are embodied in BitShares.     When you Buy BitShares you are supporting the creation of a more free society.  You are supporting your children and giving them a hope.    When you save in BitGLD or BitUSD you are making a statement... you literally change the world by adopting BitUSD and convincing others to do the same.

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code, fast.
  • BTS: methodx
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 06:00:18 AM »
+5% Awesome post! We just need to work on conveying that message in a compelling way that gets publicity. Bitcoin spread because it let people stand FOR something. For the first time, we were able to opt-out of a system we no longer believed in. It was about opting out of an old, unfair system and joining a new, fair one. Selling the world on BitUSD is about a vision, a dream, a philosophy.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:05:21 AM by MeTHoDx »

Offline Thom

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 06:08:33 AM »
Saying +5% doesn't even begin to convey how much I appreciate what you said here BM, and I'm with you all the way.

You had me back in April when I first heard you speak, and since then your words have continued to resonate this same, underlying spirit of the mission of freedom, financial as well as personal. I sincerely hope you will cling to this goal and persevere through the difficulties which will certainly come.

Thank you for your service and dedication to freedom.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech Team Witness Proposal: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,13837.msg243656.html#msg243656

Offline dna_gym

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 06:27:35 AM »
 +5% ! I am inspired!!
I think Bitcoin has grown because it appeals to the INSTINCT of human being.

I was intrigued by Nick Szabo's paper (The Origins of Money).
Bytemaster, If you haven't read it before, I recommend it.

[http://] szabo.best.vwh.net/shell.html
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:09:59 AM by dna_gym »

Online Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BTS: shentist
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 06:28:13 AM »
I would like to take a step back and help us all reflect on why we are doing what we are doing and what it is that has created this community in the first place.   

I have set out on a mission in life to find free market solutions to secure life, liberty, and property and BitShares is my evolving approach to this problem.   Many people have joined us because of this vision and have become a fan because of what we believe more so than what we have built.   In the middle of our success it is easy to lose sight of what is bringing us all together and what really matters. 

Does our technology help us achieve our purpose, freedom.   Who should our technology appeal to?   It should appeal to those who want economic freedom in both trade and wealth. 

Selling BitShares as a "company" with X, Y, Z features is approaching the space like Dell and not Apple.   Lets reimagine everything, think out side the box and create a society where we can be secure and where threats of violence by the government are overwhelmed by non-violent cooperation.  We all long for freedom, it is universal.    We all long for security.   No one likes theft and violence.     

The problem we have is that most people won't choose to adopt BitUSD because of its yield or merchant adoption.   They will first choose to adopt it because it resonates with something DEEP within... they do it "just because"... to make a statement to the outside world that there is a different way.   

So lets not sell a product with features... lets let people know what we believe and stand for.   Lets let the world know that owning BitShares or buying BitUSD is about making a statement not making an investment.   Bitcoin grew because it allowed people to make a statement... but it was too volatile for more than the true believers in the vision to hold.    BitUSD gives the true believers a safe place to express themselves backed by extreme believers.    You don't accept BitUSD at your business just because it is better than a credit card, you accept it to make a point and that point is that you believe in freedom, transparency, and individual financial sovernty. 

I don't know about you, but this vision is not based upon a share price and does not depend upon any set of features.   It is something that we can build for ourselves at any scale if we can attract like minded people.   

http://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action

So... lets go change the world!   

Bitcoin didn't grew only because people wanted to make a statement. Bitcoin grew because people are sick of people they have to trust and can betrayed every moment. Just remember the rise of Bitcoin in the Cypres Crisis and many people faces to loose a lot of value in their bank accounts. This crisis will come again and we should be ready to take all the financial refugees in our solution Bitshares. We have to solve a problem to be needed and the problem today is, that goverments etc. think they can do with you what they want.

First and all Bitshares needs to solve problems. We can go with your vision and statement, but this will not bring enough people.

Offline jae208

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 06:30:02 AM »
Apple is not ambitious enough to really change the world. I think Google is a better candidate for world changing impact and one that is more applicable to us.

Anyways, while I agree with just about everything BM said I am here because I see this as the logical next step for humanity to organize financially. Regardless of if your motive is freedom or wealth, I think that putting more emphasis on the person using BitUSD to purchase pizza rather than the investor will benefit us most in the long run.

I don't recall the title of the Ted talk I watched several months ago, but there was a Ted talk I saw where the speaker was explaining why we have centralization and decentralization. She said that when you have scarcity you have centralization because it is the most efficient way to manage scarce resources. Then she said that when you have abundance you have decentralization. We have greater and greater computational abundance and this is why I say that what is happening here is the logical next step for humanity.

Edit: I think Bitcoin grew more so because of the abundant computational resources we have now versus a few decades ago. Also because of the solution to the Byzantine General's problem which didn't exist prior to Bitcoin. I think that if the Byzantine General's problem was solved in 1991 Tim Berners Lee might have designed the world wide web differently.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:33:25 AM by jae208 »
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline werneo

• View Profile
    • chronicle of the precession of simulacra
  • BTS: werneo
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 06:49:06 AM »
So lets not sell a product with features... lets let people know what we believe and stand for.   Lets let the world know that owning BitShares or buying BitUSD is about making a statement not making an investment.

Hummm.... an ideological approach to marketing is problematical because it invites regulatory opposition and controversy -- a terrible PR faux pas if your intention is to invite wide adoption. Ideological controversy will taint your wonderful software invention and make it a bogie man for people who hold ideological views that conflict with yours.

Bitshares should never be tainted by ideological color. Its utility should be DISCOVERED without bias. An ideological approach will shoot the "network effect" in the foot. It would be a self-inflicted wound.

Don't do it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:52:22 AM by werneo »

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BTS: starspirit
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 06:58:13 AM »
I share and am excited by BMs freedom vision. And I think its a grand vision for people working in the ecosystem to make it happen. But the wider market of users of the tools and products I don't think care so much about a vision, so not a good marketing strategy. They need great utility from the tools and products, just like they get from Google tools, without ever knowing Google's grand vision. So to successfully meet the vision, and free as many people on this planet as possible, product utility is the foundation to build on.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code, fast.
  • BTS: methodx
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 06:58:50 AM »
So lets not sell a product with features... lets let people know what we believe and stand for.   Lets let the world know that owning BitShares or buying BitUSD is about making a statement not making an investment.

Hummm.... an ideological approach to marketing is problematical because it invites regulatory opposition and controversy -- a terrible PR faux pas if your intention is to invite wide adoption. Ideological controversy will taint your wonderful software invention and make it a bogie man for people who hold ideological views that conflict with yours.

Bitshares should never be tainted by ideological color. Its utility should be DISCOVERED without bias. An ideological approach will shoot the "network effect" in the foot. It would be a self-inflicted wound.

Don't do it.

You're assuming controversy is bad. I propose it isn't and we should welcome it. Let's not forget there is a whole world outside American regulation.

Ggozzo

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 07:04:41 AM »
I am on the side where we should leave beliefs out of it. There is a wide spectrum of users here that have complete different views of the world or different intentions for being here. It would be hard to pigeon hole these ideals.

If you want to sell something, sell them a choice. 

Offline jae208

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 07:09:43 AM »

Don't do it.

I agree with your comment and I guess in my previous post I was trying to say that, I am here not because of the ideology but rather because I see this as the next logical step to organize our financial life and trade among each other.

Marc Andreesen says, that early on it is the freedom seekers that help a new technology like the world wide web or Bitcoin get started. However, after the initial phase of freedom seeker adoption you start to attract mainstream users who would care less if there freedom or privacy is being taken away, they just care that it works and that it is easy to use.

Edit: The other thing I want to mention as well is that economics isn't really a hard science like say physics, biology, or astronomy. Economic theory is based on many assumptions about what it is that motivates humans. I don't really think that people are alive and exist solely to acquire material wealth. Also, current economic theory is based on scarcity but we are rapidly moving towards a world of abundance. Just a few days ago Lockheed Martin announced that they will have a nuclear fusion prototype within 5 years and perhaps a nuclear fusion reactor that is operable within 20 years. This means abundant energy by the creation of a star here on Earth. Abundance.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:17:22 AM by jae208 »
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline liondani

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 07:16:06 AM »
bitshares is something bigger than bitUSD...
don't take me wrong but the term bitUSD sounds too cheap to me.
It's like promoting in some degree the... past...
bitUSD is the digital mirror of USD and USD is 100% controlled from people that want our slavery(same with euro etc.)...
What if USD loose much of it's present "real" value in the near future because they want it to happen ?
That would mean that bitUSD will follow the decline, so our supporters with bitUSDs on their accounts would be  be "trapped" too.... Why should we follow the old system? Are we really thinking out of the box?
I think we must promote bitAssets in general and we should not promote to much on one of them, like we do right now...
We should promote the ability/option they have on our system/platform to own a basket of different global bitASSETS in a very easy way, knowing that:

1. They are 100% safe.
2. They are taking benefits/rewards for keeping them (Yield etc.)
3. They are liquid (max. 1 month delay)
4. Their privacy is 100% respected (TITAN, crypto etc...)
5. They can easy/fast/cheaply exchange from one bitASSET to another (?)
6. They can transfer/pay easy/fast/secure with minimal fees (goodbye paypal,bitcoin)
7. They can have a mixed bitASSET  portofolio without limits in quantity and value!
8. TAX FREE (what means IRS ?)
9.  ....name it...

...sorry if what I am saying doesn't make sense, maybe it is better I am going to sleep too  :)
  https://bitshares.OPENLEDGER.info/?r=GREECE  | You are in Control | BUY | SELL | SHORT | SWAP | LOAN | TRADE |  

Google+