Author Topic: Marketing Direction - Why not How or What...  (Read 22791 times)

Offline bytemaster

If we can find just 0.3% of US population and sell them this vision... convince them to donate $100 and get a free t-shirt to promote the cause a free 80 BitUSD.   Get people to WEAR our stuff, but bumper stickers on their car, etc...     

Making an ideological revolution happen is easier said than done. But I agree with this approach when it comes to marketing in Western countries.

What I really want to know is why you're trying so hard to target Americans? Network effect isn't an all or nothing proposition; you can achieve network effect in niche markets. Example: Instant messaging apps. Why not focus on marketing BitUSD where real USD demand is high but supply is low. Argentina comes to mind and there are many more. Forget America. Sell water in the desert first.

I'm currently writing a viral marketing plan for BitShares, if you want to take a look at it let me know. I'd love to help you understand how viral growth works.

I suppose I am somewhat biased by what I know and where I live.   I wouldn't know the first thing about selling to people in Argentina and no one our team knows either.    However, I suspect there are people in the community out there who know how to reach these people and we are all depending on you.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
What percent of the world is looking to "move west" to the New World where men are free explore?    Think of the pioneers that blazed the trails and dealt with all kinds of hardships just to be free and ask... how many people are looking for this today?

How many people would "move" to a new country where their wealth and privacy are protected and they are free to trade and invest as they wish?
How many people would like to end the rule of the international banking elite?

If we can find just 0.3% of US population and sell them this vision... convince them to donate $100 and get a free t-shirt to promote the cause a free 80 BitUSD.   Get people to WEAR our stuff, but bumper stickers on their car, etc...     

Ron Paul Revolution... becomes the BitShares Revolution...

It isn't about making or losing money, it is about the statement it makes to be part of something bigger than yourself.    Take every person who "wants freedom" and ask them...well, what are you going to do about it?    Give them an outlet where they can stick it to the man...

Just grab 0.3% of US population, 1 million people....

People want real change, they want something they can do, and they have $100 of disposable income (two or three meals eating out). 

Lets appeal to these people *first*... get them on board and make it easy (credit card / pay pal).

Unless you have some amazing secret sauce, I think that's the kind of demographic, (younger supporters of independence movements across the world), that are likely to be the first mainstream adopters of BitShares & related products.

Unlike a political party the utility of BitShares will be so compelling that it will expand from there regardless of ideology. Having that first 1 million vocal supporters singing its praises & indirectly marketing BitShares, is the kind of direction I would take.

I also think BitShares probably needs another year at least for most of mainstream to be comfortable using it anyway.

At the same time there is not a desperate need yet in the West for BitShares vs. say Argentina, where the ideology is already irrelevant, they need what BitShares offers.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx

Making an ideological revolution happen is easier said than done. But I agree with this approach when it comes to marketing in Western countries.

What I really want to know is why you're trying so hard to target Americans? Network effect isn't an all or nothing proposition; you can achieve network effect in niche markets. Example: Instant messaging apps. Why not focus on marketing BitUSD where real USD demand is high but supply is low. Argentina comes to mind and there are many more. Forget America. Sell water in the desert first.

I'm currently writing a viral marketing plan for BitShares, if you want to take a look at it let me know. I'd love to help you understand how viral growth works.

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
What percent of the world is looking to "move west" to the New World where men are free explore?    Think of the pioneers that blazed the trails and dealt with all kinds of hardships just to be free and ask... how many people are looking for this today?

How many people would "move" to a new country where their wealth and privacy are protected and they are free to trade and invest as they wish?

It isn't about making or losing money, it is about the statement it makes to be part of something bigger than yourself.    Take every person who "wants freedom" and ask them...well, what are you going to do about it?    Give them an outlet where they can stick it to the man...

People want real change, they want something they can do, and they have $100 of disposable income (two or three meals eating out). 

Lets appeal to these people *first*... get them on board and make it easy (credit card / pay pal).

I loved what Ron Paul did, but even the RP staffers had a hard time managing the campaign's public image. In the end, as strongly as his message resonated with many - it didn't get lasting traction. Many people who actually would love RP's politics would never really look into it because others told them RP followers were "crazy."

The pioneers built the "New World," but their efforts for freedom isn't what made the New World successful - it was the economic effect due to abundant natural resources that forward looking companies invested in to exploit. Many were looking for freedom - but most were looking for financial freedom. The pioneers were, in essence, anarchocapitialists (thus the expression, the "Wild West") that leveraged social and economic forces to drive the nation and world forward.

It isn't about making money, necessarily, but if you only try to be ideological, you may miss the chance to actually spread your ideology.

I think Ron Paul is an example of how not to do things to achieve global change. The pioneers, however, are a great example of how to achieve global change supported by an ideology.
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
The concept of freedom is perhaps the most universal message. It's a call to individual action with moral and revolutionary undertones that work in our favor: http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-concept-of-revolutionary-freedom/30071

Most people want security over freedom. Why not talk about financial security to the masses while financial freedom to the choir?
+5% +5%

Do you think mom, grandpa and my random cousin feels more safe having to download some experimental new software putting their hard earned money into incomprehensible bitUSD flowing through the internet tubes, or do you think they feel more safe putting their money into a bank, a financial institution deeply embedded in tradition, concrete and law?

I really don't understand where you guys are coming from. I am from Norway personally. I don't know how bad it has gotten in USA if the masses would trust BitShares more than their local bank.. This argument would fall flat on its face here in Norway at least, regardless of the argumentative acrobatics you try to pull on them.

The best argument is usually a positive one: Look at all these god damn amazing things you can do with this technology that you could not do before, not to mention, it is free, and you might make a ton of money having fun learning about this new revolution if you get in early.

Offline jae208

• View Profile
Something people here need to understand: a powerful, emotional message and product utility are not binary options. You need an emotional message to get the attention of average people. Once you've got their attention, impress them with awesome utility.

Bytemaster: Read Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling High-Tech Products to Mainstream Customers by Geoffrey A. Moore <-- Written over 20 years ago, it's just as relevant today as it was then. I cannot recommend this book enough.

There is a big difference between emotion and ideology.

Back in the day, the telephone company used to encourage people to use the phone by reminding them to "reach out and touch someone", while showing images that remind people of their families. Family connections emotional, not ideological. Selling emotions is frigging easy. But selling ideology? That takes $100s of billions in political campaign spending and half the time you will lose to your ideological rival.

Ideology is a marketing loser if your goal is wide adoption.

+5%
Even today appealing to peoples emotions work and big companies know this. Appealing to peoples emotions works with the GOP and the ridiculousness they spew like with the recent Ebola hysteria or the claims of Obama being the anti christ. (see what I did there)
Anyways, appealing to peoples emotions is very powerful and fear in particular is very powerful. Its what the GOP does all day every day.
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline jae208

• View Profile
The concept of freedom is perhaps the most universal message. It's a call to individual action with moral and revolutionary undertones that work in our favor: http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-concept-of-revolutionary-freedom/30071

Most people want security over freedom. Why not talk about financial security to the masses while financial freedom to the choir?

+5% +5%

Especially with all the breaches in Credit card security over the last year. I really don't understand the references to Apple though and personally I don't think they make sense at all. Apple is the opposite of what Bitshares and the whole crypto ecosystem stand for. Apple is proprietary, secretive, with top down centrally controlled management and they certainly aren't innovative at all. Steve Jobs was just a great salesman but his products weren't really all that great. Other hardware manufacturers had better gadgets in terms of features and specs.

The masses care more about security and ease of use. As soon as you start talking about something like life, liberty and property they'll tune you out.
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline kisa

• View Profile
@sschechter  +5% +5% +5% idea! Requires a strong, remarkable slogan... something along the following lines, perhaps:

BTS -> secure your freedom by freeing up your security!

Security OR AND Freedom? !

With BitShares platform there is no need to compromise BETWEEN freedom and security. GET THEM BOTH by using BTS!

BTS: Where FREEDOM meets SECURITY

Security, powered by Freedom.

BTS: Liberty, Security, Cooperation
(Along the lines Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 06:02:10 am by kisa »

Offline sschechter

• View Profile

+5% Sounds good to me!

BitShares - Where freedom and security can peacefully coexist
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline Thom

+5% Sounds good to me!
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Thom

Try to list your ideology, your politics, in as positive terms as possible (what you are FOR, not AGAINST), as ONE reason and motivation for getting into your product. Now make a real effort to list as many radically OTHER reasons and motivations for getting into your product as possible. Finally try to express them all in the most beautiful, universal message.

That, I submit, is what great leaders do.

A beautiful, universal message, that's some good homework!

Something people here need to understand: a powerful, emotional message and product utility are not binary options. You need an emotional message to get the attention of average people. Once you've got their attention, impress them with awesome utility.

Yes!

+5% - definitely on board with the OP and the TED talk, which the above also reflects.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 02:36:56 am by Thom »
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

merockstar

I'm on board with the lay low on the philosophy crew right now. Let it slowly become self-evident to the world. Focus marketing on concrete benefits. If we get all preachy and up our own asses too quick it could serve to isolate certain groups.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains