Author Topic: Bytemaster: please read "Crossing The Chasm" by Geoffrey A. Moore  (Read 8306 times)

Offline Rune

• View Profile
1. I3 wants developers on site, and for valid reasons.  It makes the project more cohesive and easier to manage. However, the demand for developers looking to move to Blacksburg, VA is, unsurprisingly, very low. Either I3 needs to move their office, or they'll need to effectively manage remote employees.

This is a joke, right?

Please tell me this is a joke.

I3 will hire someone anywhere in the world for one off / freelance projects, but as far as I'm aware, the core toolkit developers they've been bringing to VA. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong or this has changed.

Ah, phew, okay I thought you were gonna link me to some "Official policy on the centralization of development". I3 is no more, at least in the way you know it. The remaining funds they have to continue development are finite. After that they become like everyone else and have to ask the blockchain for funding. In the meantime, the blockchain can hire anyone it wishes, and I'm pretty sure these people will have completely free access to the project.

The best way to describe a centralized attempt to restrict development access would be like Isildur choosing not to throw the one ring into mt. Doom.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
1. I3 wants developers on site, and for valid reasons.  It makes the project more cohesive and easier to manage. However, the demand for developers looking to move to Blacksburg, VA is, unsurprisingly, very low. Either I3 needs to move their office, or they'll need to effectively manage remote employees.

This is a joke, right?

I3 will hire someone anywhere in the world for one off / freelance projects, but as far as I'm aware, the core toolkit developers they've been bringing to VA. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong or this has changed.

Once we get a stable release build, plus the marketing campaign, we will be past the point where Bitshares needs to be developed by a core team in one location, imo.  At that point, the ability to hire developers as paid delegates for particular 'freelance' tasks will be incredibly useful.  (Also, hopefully we will have an order of magnitude higher market cap at that point, allowing bitshares to hire many devs to fill out its functionality without a high % of dilution).
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline sschechter

• View Profile

This is a joke, right?

BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline Rune

• View Profile

This is a joke, right?

Offline sschechter

• View Profile

In my opinion we need 100 serious developers. In my opinion if we structure right it will be very easy to get them. Developers want to know that they can have stability to work on the project for at least a year so how much would it cost to pay 100 developers for 1 years?

At $100,000 a year per developer multiplied by 100 you have a cost of $10,000,000.

So for $10,000,000 you could have 100 core developers going up against NXT and Bitcoin. Right now it seems like $10,000,000 is difficult to raise but consider how easy that will be to raise when the market cap is rising.

I like where you're going with this, but 100 chefs won't bake you a faster cake.  Neither can 100 chefs run a restaurant by themselves. Someone needs to take the orders and clean the tables.  When I see Toast doing a build at midnight, what I also see is a chef busing his own table.  Actually, what I think you really got right is the 100k a year figure.

Personally, what I really think this project needs, is a commitment to AGILE methodology - not just an ad hoc, ragtag collection of hackers and coders.

Offline sschechter

• View Profile

It's actually not hard to fund developers. People in the community will donate millions of dollars to support development each year.

uhhhhhhhhhhhh..........they will?? Who??

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
I think we are in the best possible position we could be in. The market is in a downturn, once we begin to hire all the developers of the industry we will gain everyones attention. I think the entire crypto market could go to us in less than 3 months if we are aggressive enough at hiring.

Don't we need to have some success first, in order to afford all those developers? I think we will and we will, but I'd put the sequence in that order. But either way, it ends up to the same lunar progression.

We've essentially got 60 million USD in venture capital. The market cap can be invested to generate a return through the delegate system. We have more than enough to pay for the employment of almost every developer, for a year (pulling these numbers out of our ass). What do you think would happen to our market cap if we have the majority of developers working for us, for just a month? Don't you think all other coins will see it a bearish signal when their developers start getting headhunted?

2. A good developer will cost a 6 figure salary.  If you're a believer, why take a haircut developing for BitShares when you can get paid more elsewhere and purchase shares on the open market?

Is this a cost that shareholders are willing to pay?

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
I think we are in the best possible position we could be in. The market is in a downturn, once we begin to hire all the developers of the industry we will gain everyones attention. I think the entire crypto market could go to us in less than 3 months if we are aggressive enough at hiring.

Don't we need to have some success first, in order to afford all those developers? I think we will and we will, but I'd put the sequence in that order. But either way, it ends up to the same lunar progression.

We've essentially got 60 million USD in venture capital. The market cap can be invested to generate a return through the delegate system. We have more than enough to pay for the employment of almost every developer, for a year (pulling these numbers out of our ass). What do you think would happen to our market cap if we have the majority of developers working for us, for just a month? Don't you think all other coins will see it a bearish signal when their developers start getting headhunted?

maybe yes... but our goal shouldn't to fight against other crytpos! Just my 2 BTS

Right, the goal should not be to hire developers, rather to be so successful that we NEED TO hire the developers to be even more successful.  Probably that's more or less what was meant I guess.

It's actually not hard to fund developers. People in the community will donate millions of dollars to support development each year. In addition to these donations you'd also get money from inflation during times when the market cap is increasing.

I think the main focus of spending should go to paying developers. I think marketing matters but it seems to matter most when newcomers are entering the ecosystem or when people are dealing with some sort of economic crisis.

I think partnerships may end up being more important than marketing in the short term.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline GaltReport

maybe yes... but our goal shouldn't to fight against other crytpos! Just my 2 BTS

Right, the goal should not be to hire developers, rather to be so successful that we NEED TO hire the developers to be even more successful.  Probably that's more or less what was meant I guess.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling High-Tech Products to Mainstream Customers

It seems we're stuck at "how to get adoption", "where do we start". If you want clarity on this matter, please read Crossing the Chasm. Written almost 20 years ago, it's still just as relevant today as it was back in 1996. It's considered the Bible for all startups looking to bring disruptive technology to the masses.

Here is the bestselling guide that created a new game plan for marketing in high-tech industries. Crossing the Chasm has become the bible for bringing cutting-edge products to progressively larger markets. This edition provides new insights into the realities of high-tech marketing, with special emphasis on the Internet. It's essential reading for anyone with a stake in the world's most exciting marketplace.

That book is fine but combine it with case studies.

Bittorrent, how did it reach critical mass? What are the viral campaigns for that?

Universities had a lot to do with it: http://www.statista.com/statistics/244216/us-universities-ranked-by-bittorrent-usage/

And you can even find statistics on the universities which used it the most. Bitshares is not a startup like Apple, it's a decentralized application like Bittorrent.

So you cannot market it like Apple. Apple could form partnerships while currently its very difficult for Bitshares to do that due to how it's structured.

I actually agree with this strategy. Bitshares should start acquiring intellectual capital.

If Bitshares can acquire 100 developers into its ecosystem then it can compete with NXT. NXT is the biggest threat because they use a popular language (Java) and they have been acquiring developer capital which allows them to innovate quickly.

Counterparty is also a threat because it's written in Python. Python is perfect for allowing developers to accomplish a lot in a short amount of time.

In my opinion we need 100 serious developers. In my opinion if we structure right it will be very easy to get them. Developers want to know that they can have stability to work on the project for at least a year so how much would it cost to pay 100 developers for 1 years?

At $100,000 a year per developer multiplied by 100 you have a cost of $10,000,000.

So for $10,000,000 you could have 100 core developers going up against NXT and Bitcoin. Right now it seems like $10,000,000 is difficult to raise but consider how easy that will be to raise when the market cap is rising.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 08:35:41 pm by luckybit »

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline Rune

• View Profile

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Offline Rune

• View Profile

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling High-Tech Products to Mainstream Customers

It seems we're stuck at "how to get adoption", "where do we start". If you want clarity on this matter, please read Crossing the Chasm. Written almost 20 years ago, it's still just as relevant today as it was back in 1996. It's considered the Bible for all startups looking to bring disruptive technology to the masses.

Here is the bestselling guide that created a new game plan for marketing in high-tech industries. Crossing the Chasm has become the bible for bringing cutting-edge products to progressively larger markets. This edition provides new insights into the realities of high-tech marketing, with special emphasis on the Internet. It's essential reading for anyone with a stake in the world's most exciting marketplace.