Author Topic: Company vs Community vs Country  (Read 7319 times)

zerosum

This topic is done. No more value to be found. Post your related thoughts in a topic of your choosing.

And so I am closing it.

zerosum

Should be calling it an ecosystem.

Holly cow!

My favorite bird is back!

I was getting scared they have banned excessive posting in the great country of Canada.

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
Should be calling it an ecosystem.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
BitShares holders would be in much worse shape if BitUSD holders didn't see their wealth hedged well during the BTSX price fall.

Very true.  If the peg had broken as a result of this drop, we would be down over 50% today instead of 10-15%.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bytemaster

Today the BTS price is getting hammered, but BitUSD holders are still going strong, the internal markets are being actively traded.    Our product works... and lets not forget that.   

But the majority of bitshares supporters don't have significant amounts of bitUSDs....
On a $40 million market cap $1 million bitUSDs are in hands of strong holders...

Don't get me wrong but your sentence: "but BitUSD holders are still going strong"
at this particular time disappoints me a little bit...

PS I am just expressing my honest current feelings...

BitShares holders would be in much worse shape if BitUSD holders didn't see their wealth hedged well during the BTSX price fall.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

julian1

I believe a message playing up the company/business metaphor, such as , "Bitshares does for companies, commodities and other assets what Bitcoin does for currency, and what the Internet did for information", is still a better one.

It distinguishes the value that Bitshares provides from competitors (bitcoin), and plays on the powerful meme of technology's evolving role to help shape human activity.

There's a lot of noise and many alt-coins competing for this space so being on point is very important.

However, this kind of message is clearly going to provoke a clash with regulators who have a statutory mission to protect the unsophisticated and would require careful timing.

If Bitshares is to ever to fulfill it's true potential though then such a clash might become inevitable. A positive takeaway is that, if regulators did seek intervention, then it would provide proof for the market that Bitshares genuinely has something of value to offer.

Sort of in the same fashion that Bitcoin holders feel  validated everytime countries with inflationary central banks attempt to ban bitcoin.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:43:34 pm by julian1 »

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Today the BTS price is getting hammered, but BitUSD holders are still going strong, the internal markets are being actively traded.    Our product works... and lets not forget that.   

But the majority of bitshares supporters don't have significant amounts of bitUSDs....
On a $40 million market cap $1 million bitUSDs are in hands of strong holders...

Don't get me wrong but your sentence: "but BitUSD holders are still going strong"
at this particular time disappoints me a little bit...

PS I am just expressing my honest current feelings...

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

On a slightly different note - What is the sale pitch of this new Cooperative again? What  will we tell those 'I will wait for the train to be crowded to the limit, before I get  on.' people, to make them board now?

"Come spend your money now, before we change our vision again next week and cause another 20% drop"?
lol

How about "We promise to keep Bytemaster occupied with coding for awhile. The (non-) political proposals and poetry have served their purpose. BitShares is where it needs to be now."

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
Wouldn't it be more accurate and therefore easier to market if we were to describe BitShares as...

Decentralized Autonomous Network Software...  (can software or networks be regulated under current laws?)

which enables the formation of Blockchain Secured Communities...

maintained by Delegated Proof of Stake.

The benefits of which include the utility of the DANS in support of...

Freedom of speech
Trustless transactions
Speed of transactions
Cost of transactions
Sovereign control over all stores of productivity
Private communications
Fair rules
Stable rules
Consensus governed changes to rules
Free market resilience

etc......
It makes sense to me  :)   +5%

zerosum

On a slightly different note - What is the sale pitch of this new Cooperative again? What  will we tell those 'I will wait for the train to be crowded to the limit, before I get  on.' people, to make them board now?

"Come spend your money now, before we change our vision again next week and cause another 20% drop"?
lol

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I love the Community part and I disagree with renaming anything. This is BitShares and it is a DAC. A DAC could be run as a company or run by its community; either way, it's a DAC.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

zerosum

I used to live in a system that said the market is evil, the capital is evil. The ruling elite was pitching a plan to make a more humane society. Leaving aside the fact they could or did not want not build such society aside, the experiment failed. And please have no illusions why that happened - it did not fail because the people started some uprising and overthrew  the government fighting for civil liberties. It failed because of its not working economic incentives. The eastern block experiment was an economic failure... cooperatives do not work. People are not build that way. When the UberMan arrives it might be different, now it is still the reality.

Some people do not get BTS or want to wait...they should wait. Those who see the vision will see the vision, those who see the potential will see the potential, those who foresee the piles of money coming their way will see and invest... the one who do not see either of those should wait. That's what they deserve and want.

Offline HackFisher

• View Profile
The opinion from bytemaster also apply to BitShares Play, and this is the reason why BitShares Lotto was rebranded to BitShares Play.

And we finally switch from gaming entry point to be decentralized game asset marketplace, So Lotto and Play now can be seen totally two different DAC.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline GaltReport

Wouldn't it be more accurate and therefore easier to market if we were to describe BitShares as...

Decentralized Autonomous Network Software...  (can software or networks be regulated under current laws?)

which enables the formation of Blockchain Secured Communities...

maintained by Delegated Proof of Stake.

The benefits of which include the utility of the DANS in support of...

Freedom of speech
Trustless transactions
Speed of transactions
Cost of transactions
Sovereign control over all stores of productivity
Private communications
Fair rules
Stable rules
Consensus governed changes to rules
Free market resilience

etc......

Not wild about the name but great list of capabilities/features/benefits.