Author Topic: BitShares Book Club  (Read 2083 times)

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

okay so we should take nominated books and do a poll on which on to read then discuss it, rinse and repeat, right?

Sounds good to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

(thanks to whomever recommended Zero to One - great book)

Great idea with the book club and so glad to hear you enjoyed Zero To One.  I think it'd do the community well for more to read it... :)

Another book I would highly suggest is "Start With Why" by Simon Sinek.  Judging by some recent posts from Dan and the marketing crew, I'd hypothesize that a few of them have read it!

I'd also highly suggest "Turn the Ship Around." (Especially the audio version)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kisa

• View Profile
Judging by how quickly this thread descended into oblivion, people don't like reading books these days ;)

another favorite book that brilliantly explains how people think and psychological biases in human decision making. Written by the psychologist winner of the prize in memory of Nobel in economics, which laid the foundations of Behavioural Finance

Daniel Kahneman: Thinking, Fast and Slow

http://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Fast-Slow-Daniel-Kahneman/dp/0374533555

(you can find also pdf links on google, but i am not sure if posting such somehow violates copyright, thats why i post amazon)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 07:57:36 pm by kisa »

Offline kisa

• View Profile
 +5%

One of my favorite books with regards to anthropological and conceptual interconnections and distinctions between DEBT and MONEY (but not necessarily for its leftish redistribution agenda):

David Graeber: Debt - the First 5000 Years.
http://www.amazon.com/Debt-Updated-Expanded-First-Years/dp/1612194192/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1414871910&sr=1-1&keywords=david+graeber+debt+the+first+5000+years

(you can find also pdf links on google, but i am not sure if posting such somehow violates copyright, thats why i post amazon)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 07:59:51 pm by kisa »

Offline onceuponatime

A lodging of wayfaring men
May 01, 2011, 01:26:28 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=6919.0

Much of the action centers on the creation of a secure, private market that is completely outside of the reach of all government -- and therefore taxing -- authorities, and which begins its existence disguised as a computer game. The technology is not outlined in great detail, but sufficiently so to capture one's imagination; I found myself wishing that such a system were in place, or at least in development, right now. Particularly effective is an exchange two of the characters have discussing fears and objections people have to freedom (pp. 148-151). Other similar gems are sprinkled throughout A Lodging of Wayfaring Men, although some are placed more adroitly than others.

Particularly endearing to me was the repeating theme of the need to address reality, whatever its form. It seems to me that many freedom-oriented individuals focus more on what ought to be, rather than what is, and thereby lose efficacy. I wish the Free Soul house were a real place where people could go to hang out and interact. A Lodging of Wayfaring Men doesn't offer a utopian vision as much as it does sound ideas on ways to make what we do have much better. For all the quibbles I have with the book, its solid presentation of many ideas had me folding corners of pages so that I could return to specific ideas and consider them in more detail at my leisure. As full as my reading schedule is, I plan to make time to return to A Lodging of Wayfaring Men in order to glean the most from this interesting, thought-provoking tale.

http://www.torrenthound.com/hash/1d90043365f8fa4a5b4dae550ee6659d16c6ecf9/torrent-info/A-Lodging-of-Wayfaring-Men--Paul-Rosenberg-e-ink-edition-mobi   

Instantly named Freedom Book of The Month and a major influence in the Cyber-underground, A Lodging of Wayfaring Men is the story of freedom-seekers who create an alternative society on the Internet - a virtual society, with no possibility of oversight or control. It grows so fast that governments and leaders are terrified, and fight to co-opt this cyber-society before it undermines the power of the governing elite.

http://anarplex.net/hosted/files/A_Lodging_of_Wayfaring_Men.pdf

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:35:12 pm by onceuponatime »

merockstar

okay so we should take nominated books and do a poll on which on to read then discuss it, rinse and repeat, right?

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Great idea!  +5%

Can't wait to see what books everyone loves, we got such a diverse crowd here :)

For my part I can only think of the extremely philosophical, almost poetic (many would say nonsensical) article by Heidegger called "The Question Concerning Technology."

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
+5% Great thread idea.

I recommend Crossing The Chasm by Geoffrey Moore.

In Crossing the Chasm, Geoffrey A. Moore shows that in the Technology Adoption Life Cycle-which begins with innovators and moves to early adopters, early majority, late majority, and laggards-there is a vast chasm between the early adopters and the early majority. While early adopters are willing to sacrifice for the advantage of being first, the early majority waits until they know that the technology actually offers improvements in productivity. The challenge for innovators and marketers is to narrow this chasm and ultimately accelerate adoption across every segment.

This third edition brings Moore''s classic work up to date with dozens of new examples of successes and failures, new strategies for marketing in the digital world, and Moore''s most current insights and findings. He also includes two new appendices, the first connecting the ideas in Crossing the Chasm to work subsequently published in his Inside the Tornado, and the second presenting his recent groundbreaking work for technology adoption models for high-tech consumer markets.

Download the pdf here.

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
No this is not a DAC........

I've seen a few book suggestions thrown around lately (thanks to whomever recommended Zero to One - great book), and thought it would be a great idea to get your best suggestions into one post.  Please keep recommendations relevant to the BitShares ecosystem, and share why you think its important. Mods, this might make a good sticky post.

My first pick: Breakpoint: Why the Web will Implode, Search will be Obsolete, and Everything Else you Need to Know about Technology is in Your Brain
http://www.amazon.com/Breakpoint-Implode-Obsolete-Everything-Technology/dp/1137278781

Written in 2012, this book covers tons of stuff that we talk about here all the time - networks, network effect, exponential growth, breakpoints, startups, crowdfunding, crowdsourcing, social networks, wisdom of the crowds (just for you Brent.Allsop), and case studies of many companies you hear about on an almost daily basis.  Additionally it covers the parallels between the human brain, the internet, and ant colonies.  Noticeably absent of course, is the rise of a new kind of network - blockchain based financial networks.  Perhaps a community member can write an addendum in the updated version :)

From the blurb: We are in the midst of a networking revolution--set to transform the way we access the world's information and the way we connect with one another. Studying biological systems is perhaps the best way to understand such networks, and nature has a lesson for us if we care to listen: bigger is rarely better in the long run. The deadliest creature is the mosquito, not the lion. It is the quality of a network that is important for survival, not the size, and all networks--the human brain, Facebook, Google, even the internet itself--eventually reach a breakpoint and collapse. That's the bad news. The good news is that reaching a breakpoint can be a step forward, allowing a network to substitute quality for quantity.
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe