Author Topic: Subsidizing bitUSD, bitEUR, bitCNY yield to minimum 5%, has this been discussed?  (Read 14634 times)

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
If we were to dilute in order to pay a higher interest rate, that would make Bitshares look like a scam to me.  A ponzi, taking the funds of new investors (those who bought diluted shares) and paying it as interest to old investors.

This is exactly what we dont want to do, imo.

We need to increase real, legitimate, sustainable demand for bitUSD.  Which is hopefully what the coming marketing campaign will do.

I agree. If we start doing this I would pull out and so would a lot of others. Yield is important but it's not like dilution itself is even popular within our own community and to do it specifically to provide yield is not worth it.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
So as far as I understand it, we will most certainly see natural yield of around 5%. I think it would be a huge marketing advantage if we decided to subsidize it to always be at least 5% for the three main currency bitAssets (USD, EUR, CNY), because that means we can write that as the minimum yield in promotional material.

5% isn't an outrageous amount of interest, but it is significant in this era of negative interest rates. I think being able to use concrete numbers will make it so much easier to make mainstream people curious. If it becomes trusted enough, I could see this becoming viral knowledge between cautious savers especially in China, with people rushing to put their life savings into it if they hear about it from people they already trust - the Chinese are fond of getting on trends about what the safest longterm investments are. Right now we're seeing a housing bubble pop, and it would be the perfect time for them to be introduced to a new safe investment.

To put is mildly... this is nuts!

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 07:37:23 pm by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
On that note we have been developing a marketing strategy that does not depend upon dilution to implement.   

For the most part we will aim to reserve dilution for development efforts that have visible ROI rather than marketing efforts that are controversial.

+5%
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
So as far as I understand it, we will most certainly see natural yield of around 5%. I think it would be a huge marketing advantage if we decided to subsidize it to always be at least 5% for the three main currency bitAssets (USD, EUR, CNY), because that means we can write that as the minimum yield in promotional material.

It is also an unfair and deceptive practice if you don't actually tell the user where the 5% is coming from. Scam territory

Offline Pheonike

I would say cap it at 5% and put the rest in reserve or dev fund.

Offline bytemaster

On that note we have been developing a marketing strategy that does not depend upon dilution to implement.   

For the most part we will aim to reserve dilution for development efforts that have visible ROI rather than marketing efforts that are controversial.   
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
If we were to dilute in order to pay a higher interest rate, that would make Bitshares look like a scam to me.  A ponzi, taking the funds of new investors (those who bought diluted shares) and paying it as interest to old investors.

We need to increase real, legitimate, sustainable demand for bitUSD.  Which is hopefully what the coming marketing campaign will do.
Very NuBits like +5%

Offline matt608

• View Profile

+5%

There's no need for such drastic measures, the big guns haven't even been fired yet.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bytemaster

Funding this yield with dilution is an expensive proposition. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Rune

• View Profile

5% isn't an outrageous amount of interest, but it is significant in this era of negative interest rates. I think being able to use concrete numbers will make it so much easier to make mainstream people curious. If it becomes trusted enough, I could see this becoming viral knowledge between cautious savers especially in China, with people rushing to put their life savings into it if they hear about it from people they already trust - the Chinese are fond of getting on trends about what the safest longterm investments are. Right now we're seeing a housing bubble pop, and it would be the perfect time for them to be introduced to a new safe investment.