Author Topic: Advice wanted: I'm considering running a marketing delegate.  (Read 18589 times)

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
But you look like a good potential value proposition so far...

You can't really beat free intellectual capital. ;)

What metrics do you propose for evaluating your performance?

Good question. Traditionally, I measure marketing performance by profit minus how much I spend on advertising. It's really easy when you can track everything that's going in and out of a funnel... It won't be possible to objectively measure any delegate position. If you're a developer you could have someone like bytemaster determine the code quality and we can all see commits being made on github. Marketing will be considerably more subjective since there is no way to track how much a marketing campaign adds to market cap.

Similarly to seeing a developer post commits, you can see the ad campaigns I launch. I can post the results of any A/B tests I conduct so ALL marketing efforts can benefit from a scientifically provable marketing message.

My sample rubric for evaluating a marketing delegate, beginning after a sufficient lead time (e.g. three months):

1.) "Are you better off now than you were some months ago"? Evidence: Market cap growth, discounted for any obvious external factors beyond the delegate's control.
2.) "Subtracting the cost of the delegate, are the delegate's actions contributing sufficiently to this growth?" Evidence: Subjective evaluation of delegate's work.

Yes to both? --> Re-elect the good guys; what they're doing is working.
No to one or both? --> Throw the bums out.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:57:03 pm by donkeypong »

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
But you look like a good potential value proposition so far...

You can't really beat free intellectual capital. ;)

Good question. Traditionally, I measure marketing performance by revenue minus how much I spend on advertising. It's really easy when you can track everything that's going in and out of a funnel... It won't be possible to objectively measure any delegate position. If you're a developer you could have someone like bytemaster determine the code quality and we can all see commits being made on github. Marketing will be considerably more subjective since there is no way to track how much a marketing campaign adds to market cap.

Similarly to seeing a developer post commits, you can see the ad campaigns I launch. I can post the results of any A/B tests I conduct so ALL marketing efforts can benefit from a scientifically provable marketing message.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I support you! Awesome enthusiasm and plenty of vision.

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline bobmaloney

I would really like to see growth in this direction.

I would support up to 4 delegates under your name: $10,000/mo budget > $2,500/mo budget

Doing this should draw additional marketing delegates, so I think running more than 1 delegate (at this time) is important.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline Pheonike

As for landing page, we need a ingle site that covers our product. Is it bitshares.org or bitharesx.info? Who is managing the site?

Offline Geneko

• View Profile

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
I'm an independently wealthy serial entrepreneur with too much time on my hands and an obsession with BitShares. Since I already invest so much time (and even money) in BitShares, I've been considering running a paid marketing delegate. I believe bytemaster has stated elsewhere that he only wants developers as delegates so I don't know how he would feel about this.

If elected, I will focus my skills on what I know: marketing. I think BitUSD (and other BitAssets) have the most viral potential in areas outside Western countries. Argentina, Greece, Ecuador, Spain, Philippines etc, etc. Establishing ourselves in any ONE of these niche markets would send our market cap through the roof and facilitate horizontal viral growth into other related niches.

What I WANT to do / see done:
  • Launch an advertising campaign on strategic sub-reddits.
  • Pitch BitUSD to Bitcoin businesses outside America where real USD demand is high but supply is low (i.e. BitPagos).
  • Contract developers for BitAsset merchant integration.
  • Contract developers for a BitAsset specific mobile wallet (iOS & Android).
  • Airdrop BitUSD on Argentinian area codes (requires mobile wallet).
  • Airdrop BitUSD on Argentinian University emails (i.e. uba.ar).
Would you support me as a delegate?

I have not heard Bytemaster say that marketing delegates need not apply.  Quite the opposite.  He expects marketing talent to compete for such slots.   The only source of funding to support the DAC's many needs will eventually be as employees of the DAC.  This would imply that eventually even the janitor will need to be funded by a delegate.

I plan to support up to 101 of the best must-have, slam-dunk value propositions presented by credible candidates.  (I don't expect there to be 101 credible must-have, slam-dunk candidates any time soon.)

But you look like a good potential value proposition so far...  :)

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Chuckone

• View Profile
I've seen several of your posts, I like how much you're dedicated to the Bitshares community and your down to earth approach to marketing. Knowing that you're independently wealthy gives me confidence you'll put the funds to good use instead of mostly paying for your time.

You've got my vote!

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
Will you use dilution or a high pay rate to fund marketing?

It would be a "salary" position, so that means 50 BTS per block or $2500 per month. I will start by putting this toward online ads.

I would support you in this...

Glad to hear. $2500 per month would pay for a healthy online advertising campaign... I can think of many ways to be creative with that.

As for parts of your marketing plan that do not depend on (or are greatly aided by) the mobile client, which as far as I can see is just the strategic sub-reddit advertising, how much pay would it really take to accomplish. I am more than happy to vote for you as a delegate (or a even a few), but we need to know the pay rate you will be asking for and what that pay can be effectively used for at the current stage of BitShares development.

I agree with everything you've said. $2500 per month will only pay for a nice little online marketing campaign but it's a good start. I would do a reddit campaign, coinmarketcap, Alex Jones ... all the low hanging fruit. I'd A/B test the landing pages / ads to see what marketing message works best.

What projects have you been involved with, from a marketing perspective in the past? How do you think its best to go forward with marketing?

I do "infomercials" for the internet (products on clickbank.com) and consult with local startups in Waterloo Ontario. I've worked with Blackberry, desire2learn MapedIn, RiseandHang, WAY too many Communitch companies to list. My first ever foray into viral marketing was when I created http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org back in 2005 (50 million lifetime unique views).

Then you can tell your girlfriend you are now being payed in BitShits :P

She says "can they be converted into real money". ::)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 09:44:29 pm by MeTHoDx »

Offline onceuponatime

Offline bytemaster

I would support you in this... this would be a "salary position" and not "give away funds"... so I support such a position.

Each delegate position earns about $2500 per month at todays market cap with 100% pay.   It isn't much, but then again you are independently wealthy and are seeing your own stake grow.

I assume this $2500 a month is for a 'salary delegate' and not a standard delegate.  Is there some official explanation of what a salary delegate is/how it works.  I've obviously missed it.

A delegate with 100% pay rate under the new rules...  50 BTS per block.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Xeldal

I would support you in this... this would be a "salary position" and not "give away funds"... so I support such a position.

Each delegate position earns about $2500 per month at todays market cap with 100% pay.   It isn't much, but then again you are independently wealthy and are seeing your own stake grow.

I assume this $2500 a month is for a 'salary delegate' and not a standard delegate.  Is there some official explanation of what a salary delegate is/how it works.  I've obviously missed it.

Offline robrigo

I support MethodX for salary delegate. The post on BitcoinMarkets, making BitsharesMarkets subreddit, the whatisbitusd.com site, rallying to determine open bazaar feasibility, and the push to promote finding niche bit asset markets, are some examples of your past contributions.

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with more incentive and time to contribute to the project.

+5%

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
You have my vote MethodX!

Then you can tell your girlfriend you are now being payed in BitShits :P
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 09:44:52 pm by trader »