Author Topic: Smart voting and creating value  (Read 2409 times)

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
With the client upgrade approaching in November, I think it might be a good time to discuss the various aspects of the voting system and how its mechanics will maximize value for the shares while providing the fairest, most accurate and user-approved consensus possible.  So I have many questions:
What voting systems will be available (preferential, single transfer, borda, etc.)?  Will there be established timeframes in which the voting expires or will voting continue until consensus is reached?  At what percentage does consensus have to reach for the vote to count?  Does removing as much bias possible add value?  If so, how can this be achieved and implemented in the DAC (such as not displaying the results as they're counted)?  Or will each of these features be voted on themselves?

I think we need algorithmic voting. This means I think we need voting languages and conditional preference networks. We should take full advantage of the fact that computers can do things that traditional voting technologies cannot do.

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline yellowecho

Are you talking about voting by BTS holders that will influence the behavior of the DAC itself? Or are you talking about voting for things like polls or government elections?

I was mostly talking about voting for things like polls or elections but left it open as I figured the two would also be tightly integrated.  Thanks for your reply- your comments about the various voting methods was especially helpful.
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
Are you talking about voting by BTS holders that will influence the behavior of the DAC itself? Or are you talking about voting for things like polls or government elections?

The only thing I have heard about so far regarding DAC-related voting is the system described by bytemaster to vote on whether to activate hard fork features on the blockchain, which only occurs if there is 75% BTS approval.

If you are talking about the type of voting intended by the original Voting DAC, then I just think of them as a system that allows you to determine whether an anonymously submitted ballot counts as valid for a given election or not (with equal voting power behind each ballot for initial simplicity). Once you have that basic framework, the clients can implement any kind of voting method they want on top (FPTP, IRV, STV, Range, etc.). You can invent all kinds of interesting consensus requirements. The client could also filter ballots based on the block in which the ballot (or rather ballot hash) was submitted in so that you can ignore any ballots that came after some deadline. None of that validation logic needs to be done on-chain. Also keep in mind that if the ballot information becomes publicly available as voters submit their vote, you cannot prevent clients from analyzing the results live. If you don't build it into the default client, people can make and use other clients that do calculate the results live. The best you could do if you for some reason really wanted to hide the live updates (which I personally only agree with for scientific studies but not for any public elections) is to hope voters use a client that is designed to commit to a hash of their ballot that is submitted to the blockchain by some deadline and then only reveals the actual ballot contents to the public after the deadline.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:38:43 am by arhag »

Offline yellowecho

With the client upgrade approaching in November, I think it might be a good time to discuss the various aspects of the voting system and how its mechanics will maximize value for the shares while providing the fairest, most accurate and user-approved consensus possible.  So I have many questions:
What voting systems will be available (preferential, single transfer, borda, etc.)?  Will there be established timeframes in which the voting expires or will voting continue until consensus is reached?  At what percentage does consensus have to reach for the vote to count?  Does removing as much bias possible add value?  If so, how can this be achieved and implemented in the DAC (such as not displaying the results as they're counted)?  Or will each of these features be voted on themselves?
696c6f766562726f776e696573