Author Topic: 0.4.23: an instance of Bitshares already running WIN7  (Read 5851 times)

Offline svk

This error is shown when LevelDB throws an error saying the database is locked by another process. The LOCK files in the _db folders do not appear to get deleted by LevelDB under any circumstances (which is weird) and deleting them has no apparent effect.

In practice, the GUI will *only* show this error if the CLI client is running with the data dir the GUI intends to use; when another instance of the GUI is running, it's smart enough to just bring up the old instance of the GUI rather than trying to start a second one and running into this issue.

Are you sure you don't have a CLI client running somewhere?

While I've never seen this error after my original post which was on v0.4.23, I just wanna say that I was getting the error on the initial launch of the client after a clean install, so there was something else going on than a previous instance running or an improper exit.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline modprobe

This error is shown when LevelDB throws an error saying the database is locked by another process. The LOCK files in the _db folders do not appear to get deleted by LevelDB under any circumstances (which is weird) and deleting them has no apparent effect.

In practice, the GUI will *only* show this error if the CLI client is running with the data dir the GUI intends to use; when another instance of the GUI is running, it's smart enough to just bring up the old instance of the GUI rather than trying to start a second one and running into this issue.

Are you sure you don't have a CLI client running somewhere?

Offline cn-members

• View Profile
I had to delete everything in datadir to solve it
BTS中文区发言人公共账号,帮助社区有效沟通与交流。
Chinese Community Spokesman Account,to help the effective communication between Chinese and other members of the community.We're not translators to do regular translations , but will help with vital ones as we see fit and available at that time.

Offline vikram

Yea this happened to me too.  This is windows 8.  Unfortunately there are lots of LOCK files.  So I am deleting all of them.  I run it again and I get the same error.  Task Manager has no Bitshares client running.  I know there was a bad shutdown that started this problem, then it crashed and I believe tried resetting the DB when it crashed again.  Now it won't try to reset the DB. :(

$ find . -name LOCK -print
./chain/index/account_db/LOCK
./chain/index/account_index_db/LOCK
./chain/index/address_to_account_db/LOCK
./chain/index/address_to_trx_db/LOCK
./chain/index/ask_db/LOCK
./chain/index/asset_db/LOCK
./chain/index/asset_proposal_db/LOCK
./chain/index/auth_db/LOCK
./chain/index/balance_db/LOCK
./chain/index/bid_db/LOCK
./chain/index/block_id_to_block_record_db/LOCK
./chain/index/burn_db/LOCK
./chain/index/collateral_db/LOCK
./chain/index/delegate_vote_index_db/LOCK
./chain/index/edge_index/LOCK
./chain/index/feed_db/LOCK
./chain/index/fork_db/LOCK
./chain/index/fork_number_db/LOCK
./chain/index/future_blocks_db/LOCK
./chain/index/id_to_transaction_record_db/LOCK
./chain/index/market_history_db/LOCK
./chain/index/market_status_db/LOCK
./chain/index/market_transactions_db/LOCK
./chain/index/object_db/LOCK
./chain/index/pending_transaction_db/LOCK
./chain/index/property_db/LOCK
./chain/index/relative_ask_db/LOCK
./chain/index/relative_bid_db/LOCK
./chain/index/reverse_edge_index/LOCK
./chain/index/short_db/LOCK
./chain/index/slate_db/LOCK
./chain/index/slot_record_db/LOCK
./chain/index/symbol_index_db/LOCK
./chain/index/undo_state_db/LOCK
./chain/raw_chain/block_id_to_block_data_db/LOCK
./chain/raw_chain/block_num_to_id_db/LOCK
./exceptions/LOCK
./mail_client/archive/LOCK
./mail_client/inbox/LOCK
./mail_client/processing/LOCK
./mail_client/properties/LOCK
./peers.leveldb/LOCK

I don't think you should delete these. These are the LevelDB lock files and I always have them on everything too.

As David Brown speculates, the problem is the Qt GUI client is detecting the existence of that lock file, which makes it think there is another copy of the program running. This lock file should be deleted when the program exits normally, but it can stay around if the client terminates improperly. The best way to eliminate this error is to delete the lock file, then launch the client again.

I believe this is referring to some other magic file that we have implemented. I'm not familiar with it either but have made a note about this issue here: https://github.com/BitShares/qt_wallet/issues/82

Offline gamey

• View Profile
So I deleted the lock files and tried this. 

I'll let you decide if there is value in this but it seems maybe the exception handling could be straightened out a bit to not lead people down the wrong path?

I deleted the peers.leveldb directory and it appears to be going further now.  Actually I guess it is grabbing the whole blockchain at this point.

------------ error --------------
10001 db_in_use_exception: Database in Use
Unable to open database C:/Users/b/AppData/Roaming/BitShares/peers.leveldb
        Corruption: error in middle of record
    {"db":"C:/Users/b/AppData/Roaming/BitShares/peers.leveldb","msg":"Corruption
: error in middle of record"}
    p2p  level_pod_map.hpp:62 bts::db::level_pod_map<unsigned int,struct bts::ne
t::potential_peer_record>::open

{"dir":"C:/Users/b/AppData/Roaming/BitShares/peers.leveldb","create":true,"c
ache_size":0}
    p2p  level_pod_map.hpp:67 bts::db::level_pod_map<unsigned int,struct bts::ne
t::potential_peer_record>::open
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow
@gamey, I'm not sure which files the GUI is detecting that's making it think another instance is running, but there is a decent chance it can be fixed with the command-line client as below:

From a command prompt, run:
 c:\Bitsharesx\bin\bitshares\bitshares_client.exe --rebuild-index

After that finishes, type "quit", then relaunch the GUI version after the cmdline client quits.
http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Yea this happened to me too.  This is windows 8.  Unfortunately there are lots of LOCK files.  So I am deleting all of them.  I run it again and I get the same error.  Task Manager has no Bitshares client running.  I know there was a bad shutdown that started this problem, then it crashed and I believe tried resetting the DB when it crashed again.  Now it won't try to reset the DB. :(

$ find . -name LOCK -print
./chain/index/account_db/LOCK
./chain/index/account_index_db/LOCK
./chain/index/address_to_account_db/LOCK
./chain/index/address_to_trx_db/LOCK
./chain/index/ask_db/LOCK
./chain/index/asset_db/LOCK
./chain/index/asset_proposal_db/LOCK
./chain/index/auth_db/LOCK
./chain/index/balance_db/LOCK
./chain/index/bid_db/LOCK
./chain/index/block_id_to_block_record_db/LOCK
./chain/index/burn_db/LOCK
./chain/index/collateral_db/LOCK
./chain/index/delegate_vote_index_db/LOCK
./chain/index/edge_index/LOCK
./chain/index/feed_db/LOCK
./chain/index/fork_db/LOCK
./chain/index/fork_number_db/LOCK
./chain/index/future_blocks_db/LOCK
./chain/index/id_to_transaction_record_db/LOCK
./chain/index/market_history_db/LOCK
./chain/index/market_status_db/LOCK
./chain/index/market_transactions_db/LOCK
./chain/index/object_db/LOCK
./chain/index/pending_transaction_db/LOCK
./chain/index/property_db/LOCK
./chain/index/relative_ask_db/LOCK
./chain/index/relative_bid_db/LOCK
./chain/index/reverse_edge_index/LOCK
./chain/index/short_db/LOCK
./chain/index/slate_db/LOCK
./chain/index/slot_record_db/LOCK
./chain/index/symbol_index_db/LOCK
./chain/index/undo_state_db/LOCK
./chain/raw_chain/block_id_to_block_data_db/LOCK
./chain/raw_chain/block_num_to_id_db/LOCK
./exceptions/LOCK
./mail_client/archive/LOCK
./mail_client/inbox/LOCK
./mail_client/processing/LOCK
./mail_client/properties/LOCK
./peers.leveldb/LOCK
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow
As David Brown speculates, the problem is the Qt GUI client is detecting the existence of that lock file, which makes it think there is another copy of the program running. This lock file should be deleted when the program exits normally, but it can stay around if the client terminates improperly. The best way to eliminate this error is to delete the lock file, then launch the client again.
http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline davidpbrown

This is a wild guess especially since I'm not on Windows but I see there is a LOCK file in the wallets/default .. or whatever name your wallet is. Oddly the instance that I had was from August.. size is 0 bits.. so I deleted it and restarted and it reappears.. what doesn't happen that I wonder should is that it gets removed on qt shutdown. So, perhaps that is causing more confusion in Windows.. since that kind of lock file existing can stop and confuse other programs tracking of its state.
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline fuzzy

I just installed the wallet on my Windows 7 64 partition and I get a strange error immediately after the splash screen:

I say strange because obviously there isn't another instance running.. Anyone seen this before? Anyone have a fix?

I tried uninstalling then re-installing, same thing. Oh and uninstalling just removed my wallet and all blockchain data with no warning, kind of annoying..

Actually having this same problem as we speak.  On the client 4.27.1
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline mira

• View Profile
So I failed to update to 4.23.1 - i had ended up with 4.22 again.  What step am I missing to update?

(but I did get rid of that error of another instance running)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:03:00 pm by mira »

Offline mira

• View Profile
Same error message after updating.  Will have to approach it fresh tomorrow  :-[

Offline svk

I'm on linux mint 17.  Installed client and GUI.

So I just reinstall as before!  That seemed to simple to be true.   :)

Thank you!

Yea just delete the folder of the client that wasn't working, then reinstall as before but using the latest version :) Don't touch the .BitsharesX folder though cause that's where your wallet is.

Offline mira

• View Profile
I'm on linux mint 17.  Installed client and GUI.

So I just reinstall as before!  That seemed to simple to be true.   :)

Thank you!

Offline svk

The instructions here work fine for me in Ubuntu, is that what you're using?

https://github.com/dacsunlimited/bitsharesx/blob/master/BUILD_UBUNTU.md

Are you trying to compile the client only or the GUI as well under linux?