Author Topic: Error parsing WIF private key?  (Read 1601 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Thanks, as always, xeroc - I managed to import the account, and I'm re scanning the blockchain now

Yeah, I know I should have originally saved the .json file, but the wallet was crashing relentlessly, and since I had the owner key, I knew that that would be enough to recover my funds. I have not messed around with the asset market yet, so it looks like  all of my funds should be recovered. You are right to scold me about being foolish, though, and I will be using the in app backup after each transaction from now on....
I hope you haven't made any market transcations (buy,sell,short) .. because those currently require the wallet master key .. which you don't have anymore ..

//edit: woops .. should have finished reading first :)

Offline CryptoPrometheus

• View Profile
1) the "wallet master key" cannot be exported with dump_private_key .. only with the in-app backup functions (that why we have that feature in the wallet btw)
2) you can only export the account owner key for a account - unless you made market transactions, the owner key is sufficient to regain access to the account
3) a account master key SHOULD NOT be imported with the "import WIF private key"!!! but using the console as described in http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/RecoveringFunds
4) is your account name registered on the blockchain?
5) if registered account name: go to console and type "wallet_import_private_key PRIVKEY"

Besides that:
6) why would you DELETE a wallet!?!?! ALWAYS keep a backup!! it's just a few 100kilo byte .. print it on paper if you don't have a usb stick

Thanks, as always, xeroc - I managed to import the account, and I'm re scanning the blockchain now

Yeah, I know I should have originally saved the .json file, but the wallet was crashing relentlessly, and since I had the owner key, I knew that that would be enough to recover my funds. I have not messed around with the asset market yet, so it looks like  all of my funds should be recovered. You are right to scold me about being foolish, though, and I will be using the in app backup after each transaction from now on....

"Power and law are not synonymous. In fact, they are often in opposition and irreconcilable."
- Cicero

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
1) the "wallet master key" cannot be exported with dump_private_key .. only with the in-app backup functions (that why we have that feature in the wallet btw)
2) you can only export the account owner key for a account - unless you made market transactions, the owner key is sufficient to regain access to the account
3) a account master key SHOULD NOT be imported with the "import WIF private key"!!! but using the console as described in http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/RecoveringFunds
4) is your account name registered on the blockchain?
5) if registered account name: go to console and type "wallet_import_private_key PRIVKEY"

Besides that:
6) why would you DELETE a wallet!?!?! ALWAYS keep a backup!! it's just a few 100kilo byte .. print it on paper if you don't have a usb stick

Offline CryptoPrometheus

• View Profile
I am trying to restore my wallet using the master key. The first wallet I had (back in July) I transferred a balance from bter. That wallet kept crashing but I managed to dumpprivkey (or whatever the command) and made a copy of the "master" wallet key. Then in September, I deleted the old wallet and installed the latest version, and was able to restore my balance by typing the key into the "import WIF Private Key" on the GUI. I didn't move the balance, but I did add additional funds to the account name from bter. A couple days ago, I decided to wipe my hard drive and re install windows, and install the newest version of BTSX. It is fully synched, but when I try to import the key using "import WIF Private key", I get the message "Error parsing WIF private key"

This is really nerve-wracking.... I hope someone knows of a solution  :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 07:14:52 pm by crypto_prometheus_81 »
"Power and law are not synonymous. In fact, they are often in opposition and irreconcilable."
- Cicero