Author Topic: Company vs Community vs Country  (Read 7327 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Wouldn't it be more accurate and therefore easier to market if we were to describe BitShares as...

Decentralized Autonomous Network Software...  (can software or networks be regulated under current laws?)

which enables the formation of Blockchain Secured Communities...

maintained by Delegated Proof of Stake.

The benefits of which include the utility of the DANS in support of...

Freedom of speech
Trustless transactions
Speed of transactions
Cost of transactions
Sovereign control over all stores of productivity
Private communications
Fair rules
Stable rules
Consensus governed changes to rules
Free market resilience

etc......
Nice

leads directly to the topic of net neutrality .. nice :)

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile

Wouldn't it be more accurate and therefore easier to market if we were to describe BitShares as...

Decentralized Autonomous Network Software...  (can software or networks be regulated under current laws?)

Freedom of speech
Trustless transactions
Speed of transactions
Cost of transactions
Private communications
Fair rules
Stable rules
Free market resilience

etc......

I like this.  Concise, clear, +5%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo

Freedom of speech
Trustless transactions
Speed of transactions
Cost of transactions
Private communications
Fair rules
Stable rules
Free market resilience

etc......

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
The language we use when talking about BTS will be different than the language we use while talking about BitAssets. I think as long as the marketing message doesn't confuse the two, we'll be fine.

On another note, you can scientifically test what marketing message is best through A/B testing. These are things Brian Page should have been doing a long long time ago.

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
btsx is at its infancy.  It needs a conducive environment to grow healthy and strong - a place that is free from the flies.  After the dust settled, we see the sun shines. 
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline bytemaster

Can we keep the BitShares name? Too much is changing too fast, making it impossible to market in a coherent way.

Not changing the name.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
Can we keep the BitShares name? Too much is changing too fast, making it impossible to market in a coherent way.

Offline bluebit

• View Profile
I kinda want the price to drop and bottom out at .01 USD so I can buy more for real cheap, in a 4 months the price should be over .10 cents but I'm speculating :)
BTSX TipMe: bluebit

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
Lets build a solid base, build a stable product, and the grow.    Today the BTS price is getting hammered, but BitUSD holders are still going strong, the internal markets are being actively traded.    Our product works... and lets not forget that.   

+5%

I don't have particularly strong views on company/country/community metaphor. I think it can be described as anyone of those depending on the audience.

I'm glad that you pitch it to friends and see that it's hard for the majority of mainstream to buy into at this stage. I was worried mainstream would be our marketing focus even though they're not ready for it by in large. (Unless they really need BitAssets or it specifically appeals to them in another way.)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 04:09:11 pm by Empirical1.1 »

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
BitStructure : a Structure base on block chain that allows people in a virtual community to exchange value and help each other .

Also short for :   BTS 
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline GaltReport

Well said!  I can live with that.  :)

lzr1900

another 20% drop…hehe

Offline 029xue

• View Profile
Sounds good, but just wondering why the price drop another 20%...

Offline bytemaster

I would like to address some concerns that were raised about the post where I describe BitShares as a Decentralized Autonomous Community and provide some background and motivation.

First of all it is important to note that the Company Metaphor applies to all crypto-systems, not just BitShares.   It is incredibly useful for helping to design and build the economics of a system and as a result describe the inevitability of a system.     Companies provide a service, earn profits, share profits with shareholders, and are a concept that everyone already understands.  The Company Metaphor is a great teaching metaphor for those of us who couldn't care less about SEC, marking fluff, or anything other than facts, figures, and profits.

The problem we face is if we take the Company Metaphor to the point where it ceases to be a metaphor and starts to look like reality then we are enter a regulatory quagmire.   For every capitalist that is turned on by the Company metaphor, there is a anti-corporation liberal that is turned off.   The company metaphor is not personal/emotional and relies on engaging an entirely different part of the brain.... a part of the brain that most of us on this forum like to think with and rely on.   Why do we all like the company metaphor, because that is how I have been promoting it and thus we are a self-selected group of individuals that like the company metaphor because it brought us in.   

As you can probably imagine I pitch BitShares to people everywhere I go and I sell them on the company metaphor, the profits, the security, the privacy, the yield and dividends.  Many of these people are friends, family and friends of friends and thus trust what I say.... I then ask them if they will put $100 into BitUSD or buy $100 of BTSX (people that spend that much eating out several times per week).   The answer I get back is almost always, "not now" or "no" and the reason is simple: the system is not mature and they are not looking for a high risk investment.  The mental stress of thinking about an investment, following it on coin market cap, and wondering whether or not you will be able to get your $100 back out again is too much. 

So as much as we want people to adopt us based upon the company metaphor it engages the wrong part of the brain to attract early adopters and build the initial network effect.  It also attracts regulators like flies to poo.

So in the interest of maintaining a clear message for BTS launch I feel we need to distance the public pitch from the company metaphor at this point in our growth cycle.   I think the only time we should use the company metaphor to describe BitShares is when we are simultaneously describing  Bitcoin, Litecoin, Nxt, and Ripple virtual companies for the purpose of comparing their economics, viability, and sustainability and long term valuation potential.    We can keep the company metaphor alive for educational purposes but must be diligent in preventing BitShares from becoming a company in the eyes of the regulators. 

BitShares is ultimately a community of people who imbue BTS with perceived value and use BTS as a medium of exchange and unit of account to recognize those who are contributing to the community.   We want to focus on the people and what the people are doing and providing value to one another. 

Lets build a solid base, build a stable product, and the grow.    Today the BTS price is getting hammered, but BitUSD holders are still going strong, the internal markets are being actively traded.    Our product works... and lets not forget that.   

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.