Author Topic: Advice wanted: Pay rate for developer delegate  (Read 12435 times)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
As a counter point consider this:

1) svk has clearly demonstrated he can produce a great product and is cautious but not unfriendly to the open source concept.
2) svk has demonstrated a long standing and unflagging commitment to BitShares.

What does he get for this? A pay rate that starts at 80% - 100% rather than, "Start at 10% and if your work looks good campaign a new delegate at a higher rate".

IMHO his compensation for past work is paid out over the time it would take an unknown developer to get from 0% - 10% up to 80% - 100%.

I guess my feeling is that even if svk said "hey guys I'm moving on with other things in life and won't be working on bitsharesblocks anymore" and said he would open source it and hand it off to someone who wanted to takeover.  Even now we know he won't be working on it anymore and we have the source I think we should STILL do what we can to provide fair compensation for past work.  Because of fairness and because of the effect on anyone else that might be considering putting in time to help this community.  I think it's a good precedent and we have a unique ability to centralize funds on behalf of shareholders instead of just tipping.

+5% svk you have my vote !!! Really great work so far … btw did you get the chance to start with our project… we talked last week!? Just curious :)

cheers. I haven't had much time yet I'm afraid, I'm out of town until Friday but I'll try to find some time this weekend, and if not then next week!

yeah no worries :) take your time ...
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline Riverhead

So...about that. On a lot of forms for all sorts of things it asks for employer details. Would you just say, "Bitshares of many many MANY addresses world wide. HQ non. Phone number none."...You get the idea.

Maybe for employment verification you can send them a link to svk's block explorer? Zero world problems?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:55:06 pm by Riverhead »

Offline svk

1) svk has clearly demonstrated he can produce a great product and is cautious but not unfriendly to the open source concept.

What does he get for this? A pay rate that starts at 80% - 100% rather than, "Start at 10% and if your work looks good campaign a new delegate at a higher rate".

IMHO his compensation for past work is paid out over the time it would take an unknown developer to get from 0% - 10% up to 80% - 100%.

I guess my feeling is that even if svk said "hey guys I'm moving on with other things in life and won't be working on bitsharesblocks anymore" and said he would open source it and hand it off to someone who wanted to takeover.  Even now we know he won't be working on it anymore and we have the source I think we should STILL do what we can to provide fair compensation for past work.  Because of fairness and because of the effect on anyone else that might be considering putting in time to help this community.  I think it's a good precedent and we have a unique ability to centralize funds on behalf of shareholders instead of just tipping.

+5% svk you have my vote !!! Really great work so far … btw did you get the chance to start with our project… we talked last week!? Just curious :)

cheers. I haven't had much time yet I'm afraid, I'm out of town until Friday but I'll try to find some time this weekend, and if not then next week!
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline svk

@Agent86 and everyone else, thanks for the support. I agree with your ideas of promoting fairness, and I think it would be best to establish a set of guidelines that encourages people to contribute and produce results. In my particular case it's a little different though as I started my particular project never expecting to get paid more than the standard delegate fee, and I was happy to do so cause I believed (and still believe) in Bitshares. It so happens BM was kind enough to vote in three delegates for me, but that was way more than I expected. So I'm fine with being judged on future merit and not just based on past work.

Now that we have this amazing capacity to pay real salaries however I think it's important going forward that we show the world that we appreciate and reward good work, as by doing so we will attract both talent and users to the Bitshares system. We'll make some waves on Bitcointalk in a few months with stories of how you can make $2k+/month working for the blockchain :)

Offline svk

if you want more Vote,i thinke translate to chinese is very importent.

Yes, I've been thinking about this and will try to do so soon.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Code: [Select]
delegate (locked) >>> help wallet_burn
Usage:
wallet_burn <amount_to_transfer> <asset_symbol> <from_account_name> <for_or_against> <to_account_name> [public_message] [anonymous]   Burns given amount to the given account.  This will allow you to post message and +/- sentiment on someones account as a form of reputation.
Burns given amount to the given account.  This will allow you to post message and +/- sentiment on someones account as a form of reputation.

Parameters:
  amount_to_transfer (real_amount, required): the amount of shares to transfer
  asset_symbol (asset_symbol, required): the asset to transfer
  from_account_name (sending_account_name, required): the source account to draw the shares from
  for_or_against (string, required): the value 'for' or 'against'
  to_account_name (receive_account_name, required): the account to which the burn should be credited (for or against) and on which the public message will appear
  public_message (string, optional, defaults to ""): a public message to post
  anonymous (bool, optional, defaults to "false"): true if anonymous, else signed by from_account_name

Returns:
  transaction_record

aliases: burn

transmits a BURN transaction that can be read in the block explorer.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Is there a way to publicly burn funds yet?
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline matt608

• View Profile
This will all be so much easier once we have a turing script that takes delegates pay, exchanges the pay into a fix amount of bitUSD and automatically burns the rest ..

+5% Any guesses when such a thing might exist?  When someone makes it I guess....

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
This will all be so much easier once we have a turing script that takes delegates pay, exchanges the pay into a fix amount of bitUSD and automatically burns the rest ..

Offline gamey

• View Profile

How much is 10%?  Starting a new delegate is a bit silly.  People will always be dragging their feet as they're voted out.  You're just adding steps that don't need to be there to prevent the issue at the start.  These people aren't paid monthly.  It is hard enough to keep track of everything.  Voting people in/out according to raises sucks.

Exactly my point. I'm not against compensating svk, he's more than earned it, I was just raising a counter point for discussion. But if twl joined and shared some links that showed pages he'd supposedly developed would we be OK voting him in at 80% to 100% straight away with the assumption we could somehow compel him to lower his rate later if his work was sub par? I guess that's the big question.

The worst problem is the volatility.  I don't mind the DAC paying someone 3k USD if they show some work upfront/traditional resume/whatever.  The problem is when 3k becomes 10k, so at that point they don't need to start with 100%.  So really the question should be what is the starting amount of pay in USD people should start with.  Having people be paid 10% then working it up is just backwards if that 10% is a few hundred dollars.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Riverhead

How much is 10%?  Starting a new delegate is a bit silly.  People will always be dragging their feet as they're voted out.  You're just adding steps that don't need to be there to prevent the issue at the start.  These people aren't paid monthly.  It is hard enough to keep track of everything.  Voting people in/out according to raises sucks.

Exactly my point. I'm not against compensating svk, he's more than earned it, I was just raising a counter point for discussion. But if twl joined and shared some links that showed pages he'd supposedly developed would we be OK voting him in at 80% to 100% straight away with the assumption we could somehow compel him to lower his rate later if his work was sub par? I guess that's the big question.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline oco101

• View Profile

+1

Offline Riverhead

Excellent point.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Agent86

• BTSX: agent86
    • View Profile