Author Topic: Please don't rebrand BTSX to just BitShares  (Read 7754 times)

Offline oco101

• View Profile
In a demonstration of solidarity MeTHoDx will rename himself MeTHod on November 5th.

:P

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Lool too funny !!!

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
In a demonstration of solidarity MeTHoDx will rename himself MeTHod on November 5th.

Haha! Yeah I bet most people think the "x" in my username comes from the x in BitShares X. I've actually been using this name since i was 13 years old. I'm in my late 20s now! It means "method unknown".

Offline Riverhead

Offline oldman

• View Profile
Integrity, honesty, trust etc. are also going to resonate powerfully.

The current perception big bank/big biz is unapologetically fraudulent with no recourse nor alternative for the average Joe.

When the house of cards come tumbling down a "Robotically honest company" with a profitable balance sheet governed by open-source, transparent code will be a paradigm-shift in the business and investment world.

I hope this angle is on the front lines of the marketing campaign.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
I agree...

BitShares is a virtual company that produces the best virtual currency backed by an amazing open source community.

A virtual company built on a blockchain is a really good way to describe what BitShares is. I'm liking "virtual company".

Unmanned company is perfectly reasonable in this context and it grabs a person's attention in a way that begs the question, "What is an unmanned company and why would you want one?"

Then we can talk about robotically honest integrity, no counter party risk, incorruptibility, transparency, sovereignty, cheap labor, etc.

Full credit goes to Stan for the "unmanned company" tagline. Heard you use it in a mumble session and immediately loved it. It sums up was a DAC is without using an acronym. I also like "virtual company" as well. Both are good!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Then we can talk about robotically honest integrity, no counter party risk, incorruptibility, transparency, sovereignty, cheap labor, etc.
I like that!

BitShares is a virtual company that produces the best virtual currency backed by an amazing open source community.
... and math :-P

Offline bytemaster

Calling it an unmanned company may be a stretch...

I think we need to carefully consider how to describe the relationship between people, management, and business model.

I think it's far more important to come up with a compelling vision that people will pay attention to. BitShares has amazing vision and an absolutely killer concept. There is no reason we shouldn't be aggressively pushing this on the world. It's time people start paying attention.

I agree...

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

I think we need to carefully consider how to describe the relationship between people, management, and business model.

It's "a manned community supporting an unmanned company that provides innovative currencies".

Unmanned company is perfectly reasonable in this context and it grabs a person's attention in a way that begs the question, "What is an unmanned company and why would you want one?"

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code

I think it's far more important to come up with a compelling vision that people will pay attention to. BitShares has amazing vision and an absolutely killer concept. There is no reason we shouldn't be aggressively pushing this on the world. It's time people start paying attention.

Offline bytemaster

Also: "The Greatest Financial Experiment Since Bitcoin".

+1

BitShares does for Business what Bitcoin did for money.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
BitShares - the worlds first decentralized autonomous cooperative governed entirely by the stakeholders to facilitate an efficient and profitable businesses.

"The World's First Unmanned Company" is much more compelling.

I agree "The World's First Unmanned Company" sounds compelling and would make me want to find out more about what exactly it is. It sounds intriguing. But is it strictly true? Are there not men and at least some women involved in this endeavor. I think it's inaccurate to describe a DAC as unmanned. Maybe I'm not looking at it from the right angle.

I think it's fair to describe it as an unmanned company. You could also describe it as a "Word's First Company On A Blockchain"... I think that's our most compelling angle. Also: "The Greatest Financial Experiment Since Bitcoin".

Offline bytemaster

Offline pseudoscops

BitShares - the worlds first decentralized autonomous cooperative governed entirely by the stakeholders to facilitate an efficient and profitable businesses.

I agree "The World's First Unmanned Company" sounds compelling and would make me want to find out more about what exactly it is. It sounds intriguing. But is it strictly true? Are there not men and at least some women involved in this endeavor. I think it's inaccurate to describe a DAC as unmanned. Maybe I'm not looking at it from the right angle.

Offline oldman

• View Profile

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile

MethodX should be doing our PR.

We need to someone to rally the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code

Offline pseudoscops

A change of name would also make it clearer to people on the fringes that the proposed alterations to the ecosystem have occurred.

Imagine if the name remained the same - when additional shares suddenly appear on coinmarketcap, potential investors who aren't completely in the know could think,"WTF, what are they playing at, suddenly increasing the supply to cheat?".

However, if the name changes at the same time as the available supply going up, people watching coinmarketcap could think, "Oh, BitShares has changed - I'll have to look into that".

Know what I mean?

+5% I agree a name change is now required to signify that we haven't just diluted supply. Agree it will spark curiosity too and lead to new users.
Also agree with the sentiments in Dan's response too. Glad to see he is now using Decentralized Autonomous Cooperative instead of Decentralized Autonomous Community. That was my idea  ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 03:45:59 pm by pseudoscops »

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
Don't you work there now?

I gave notice to leave my employer a while back.  It wasn't the kind of thing I can abandon with no notice and do quickly.  I'm planning to head to VA in a week or so.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority about liking the name BTSX, which is good because it isn't staying :)  So no worries!

Hah! Not worried. Just thought it was weird you posting this thread like an outsider but your post explains why that is the case.

Congrats on getting hired :).

Thanks, I kinda wish I could have been in VA earlier and maybe impact how changes were made and communicated.   Probably I'm just nervous to watch the last weeks play out right after I quit my job.  I know everything was discussed a lot and I didn't follow the discussions close enough but the changes still feel a bit rushed to me.  Plus it personally impacts how I would fit into things with I3 so I have to figure that out too. 

Although I'm still figuring out how the new vision affects everything, I do see advantages to getting behind one BitShares chain, dropping the "X" and the potential to emerge stronger and more united.

now you heading to the vortex of power. So you will get more inside and will have more knowledge as we are on the forum. So you are far ahead.

Merger is happening, so it will be good to simplify everything. From this point of view, to remove the X is on the longrun a better decision.

Offline Agent86

• BTSX: agent86
    • View Profile

I gave notice to leave my employer a while back.  It wasn't the kind of thing I can abandon with no notice and do quickly.  I'm planning to head to VA in a week or so.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority about liking the name BTSX, which is good because it isn't staying :)  So no worries!

Hah! Not worried. Just thought it was weird you posting this thread like an outsider but your post explains why that is the case.

Thanks, I kinda wish I could have been in VA earlier and maybe impact how changes were made and communicated.   Probably I'm just nervous to watch the last weeks play out right after I quit my job.  I know everything was discussed a lot and I didn't follow the discussions close enough but the changes still feel a bit rushed to me.  Plus it personally impacts how I would fit into things with I3 so I have to figure that out too. 

Although I'm still figuring out how the new vision affects everything, I do see advantages to getting behind one BitShares chain, dropping the "X" and the potential to emerge stronger and more united.

Offline mint chocolate chip

Losing the generic X is great. To me it always kind of seemed like we used the ambiguous X because we did not know what else to call it.

What about the name of the website for which you download the software, the x in https://bitshares-x.info/ is now kind of odd.

Offline Methodise

Oh my gosh bitshares is better than bitshares-yuck.
BTS: methodise

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Every major tech company seems to have two syllable names.

Facebook
Google
Twitter
Apple
Bitcoin

Industrial Light and Magic...
Bionic Panda Games...
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline jae208

• View Profile
Every major tech company seems to have two syllable names.

Facebook
Google
Twitter
Apple
Bitcoin
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
You made your point well. But I like BitShares better without the X. We'll get used to it.

Offline Riverhead

Offline gamey

• View Profile
If bitshares x is bad then I am not under the belief bitshares is an improvement.   Might as well go with bitbank or any other name. 
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Agent86

• View Profile

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
BitShares is simple, unified, and captures what it is without extra overhead or the need to explain more.  It is easy to say, spell, and use.  It parallels Bitcoin nicely. 

X sounds eXtreme or "over hyped" or "advanced" or some other feeling that people don't get or like.

+5%
My feeling is that some people would see the "X" as a bit naff, aimed at youngsters, and with potential to become dated quickly. I'm thinking along the lines of products from the 1990's being described as "mega" or "super".

A change of name would also make it clearer to people on the fringes that the proposed alterations to the ecosystem have occurred.

Imagine if the name remained the same - when additional shares suddenly appear on coinmarketcap, potential investors who aren't completely in the know could think,"WTF, what are they playing at, suddenly increasing the supply to cheat?".

However, if the name changes at the same time as the available supply going up, people watching coinmarketcap could think, "Oh, BitShares has changed - I'll have to look into that".

Know what I mean?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Agent86

• View Profile
I liked the branding of BitShares X as a bank and exchange.  I think just calling it "BitShares" is too generic and not descriptive enough of its function.  I still believe that one blockchain won't be all things to all people.

The bitshares blockchain is simply a protocol standard. Its meant to be generic. What is not meant to be generic are the companies that leverage that protocol for their operation. These are all front ends to the bitshares backend. Each of these companies will have their own website and marketing strategy.
The bitshares blockchain is not just a "protocol standard."   It is now a specific blockchain with a specific distribution with specific stakeholders.  I hope we could get a bunch of companies to add value to our blockchain by using it as their backend and get this one chain to take on a generic all encompassing role doing all sorts of different functions, but this feels like the "one chain to rule them all" strategy that we've argued against in the past and may have drawbacks.

Trying desperately to make things "simple" to appeal to "investors" who apparently can't otherwise follow what we are doing is unnecessary in my opinion.

You seem to forget that the "rebranding" makes things simple for consumers. Aside from consolidating the value proposition of bitshares into one medium, it also consolidates and bolsters the currency markets, which facilitate the use of this technology. It is more of a logistical necessity than simply a marketing ploy.
I think the "rebranding" is a separate thing from BM choosing to focus on one chain and one group of stakeholders.  I agree that promoting a bunch of competing bitUSD is not helpful and I've said the same to BM.  I also think it is understandable for BM to pick one project.

In any case I just persoanlly liked the name BitShares X but I don't expect to change things at this point.  The BTSX name didn't seem confusing to me and now I might get confused when someone says bitshares if they are talking about the new superDAC or if they are talking more broadly.

Offline Riverhead

Offline oldman

• View Profile

BitShares X has too many syllables and does not roll off the tong.   It is confusing to everyone I tell about it.

BitShares is simple, unified, and captures what it is without extra overhead or the need to explain more.  It is easy to say, spell, and use.  It parallels Bitcoin nicely. 

X sounds eXtreme or "over hyped" or "advanced" or some other feeling that people don't get or like.

This, exactly this. The 'X' has to go.

BTS is far, far superior to BTSX.

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

clout

I liked the branding of BitShares X as a bank and exchange.  I think just calling it "BitShares" is too generic and not descriptive enough of its function.  I still believe that one blockchain won't be all things to all people.

The bitshares blockchain is simply a protocol standard. Its meant to be generic. What is not meant to be generic are the companies that leverage that protocol for their operation. These are all front ends to the bitshares backend. Each of these companies will have their own website and marketing strategy.

Trying desperately to make things "simple" to appeal to "investors" who apparently can't otherwise follow what we are doing is unnecessary in my opinion.

You seem to forget that the "rebranding" makes things simple for consumers. Aside from consolidating the value proposition of bitshares into one medium, it also consolidates and bolsters the currency markets, which facilitate the use of this technology. It is more of a logistical necessity than simply a marketing ploy.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
I liked Bitshares-X too but there's no reason to keep it as that anymore, why "X" when the VOTE 'DAAP' could be bigger? (if the "x" stood for "exchange")  I'm in favour of Bitshares.  Any further change at this stage would not be good, the boat is already rocking.

Even if it would be better I agree that it is maybe to late to make another change the last minute...

Offline matt608

• View Profile
I liked Bitshares-X too but there's no reason to keep it as that anymore, why "X" when the VOTE 'DAAP' could be bigger? (if the "x" stood for "exchange")  I'm in favour of Bitshares. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 06:40:30 pm by matt608 »

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7

BitShares X has too many syllables and does not roll off the tong.   It is confusing to everyone I tell about it.

This. Exactly this. The X has to go.

Offline Agent86

• View Profile

Just remember that selling BTSX to anyone who will buy is not the goal.  Marketing a functional service is the goal.

Getting investors who can take the time to understand complicated things, and understand the complex risks and opportunities is helpful.  (maybe I still think more as the company analogy)

Offline Agent86

• View Profile
I usually agree with you on the KISS principle .. but with BitShares we have a movement that is no longer "just about money" ..
It's not just a bank, not just an exchange, it comes with plenty of features .. all distributed and without counterparty risk ..

I'd love to come up with an analogy from history to compare this with ... but something like this has never happend before!

Disclaimer: Yes, I am excited about the superDAC!
I am also really excited about BitShares and the technology.  And I would be very happy to be proven wrong that we can make the rebranded BTS be the blockchain that "does it all"

I just don't want us to fall to the temptation of oversimplify things in order to appeal to and convince anyone with a checkbook to buy BitShares like this is a big accomplishment.   Companies tend not to aggressively market owning their stock to anyone who will buy.  Selling the service it provides is a different thing.  Sophisticated investors don't need us to dumb things down for them.

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
make a poll !!!!
What really wants the majority?

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
 +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5%

I agree BitsharesX as a name should stay !!!!
After all, all the others are merged to BTSX
The X symbol is pretty cool also !!!

Bitshares eXchanges

but X can "replace" any DAC  that will be merged !!!!

BitSharesX
X = variable

where X=

X=VOTE
X=DNS
X=PLAY
X=MUSIC
X=ECXHANGE
X=..... etc...   you name it !!!!!

PS we have already a good/positive eXposure with that name !!!

Offline bytemaster

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I usually agree with you on the KISS principle .. but with BitShares we have a movement that is no longer "just about money" ..
It's not just a bank, not just an exchange, it comes with plenty of features .. all distributed and without counterparty risk ..

I'd love to come up with an analogy from history to compare this with ... but something like this has never happend before!

Disclaimer: Yes, I am excited about the superDAC!

Offline Agent86

• View Profile
I know this decision is likely already made but I want to state my feeling before Nov 5th, because that is when the change is finalized.