Author Topic: Please don't rebrand BTSX to just BitShares  (Read 7671 times)

Offline oldman

• View Profile
BitShares - the worlds first decentralized autonomous cooperative governed entirely by the stakeholders to facilitate an efficient and profitable businesses. 

BitShares X has too many syllables and does not roll off the tong.   It is confusing to everyone I tell about it.

BitShares is simple, unified, and captures what it is without extra overhead or the need to explain more.  It is easy to say, spell, and use.  It parallels Bitcoin nicely. 

X sounds eXtreme or "over hyped" or "advanced" or some other feeling that people don't get or like.

This, exactly this. The 'X' has to go.

BTS is far, far superior to BTSX.

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

clout

I liked the branding of BitShares X as a bank and exchange.  I think just calling it "BitShares" is too generic and not descriptive enough of its function.  I still believe that one blockchain won't be all things to all people.

The bitshares blockchain is simply a protocol standard. Its meant to be generic. What is not meant to be generic are the companies that leverage that protocol for their operation. These are all front ends to the bitshares backend. Each of these companies will have their own website and marketing strategy.

Trying desperately to make things "simple" to appeal to "investors" who apparently can't otherwise follow what we are doing is unnecessary in my opinion.

You seem to forget that the "rebranding" makes things simple for consumers. Aside from consolidating the value proposition of bitshares into one medium, it also consolidates and bolsters the currency markets, which facilitate the use of this technology. It is more of a logistical necessity than simply a marketing ploy.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
I liked Bitshares-X too but there's no reason to keep it as that anymore, why "X" when the VOTE 'DAAP' could be bigger? (if the "x" stood for "exchange")  I'm in favour of Bitshares.  Any further change at this stage would not be good, the boat is already rocking.

Even if it would be better I agree that it is maybe to late to make another change the last minute...

Offline matt608

• View Profile
I liked Bitshares-X too but there's no reason to keep it as that anymore, why "X" when the VOTE 'DAAP' could be bigger? (if the "x" stood for "exchange")  I'm in favour of Bitshares. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 06:40:30 pm by matt608 »

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
BitShares - the worlds first decentralized autonomous cooperative governed entirely by the stakeholders to facilitate an efficient and profitable businesses. 

BitShares X has too many syllables and does not roll off the tong.   It is confusing to everyone I tell about it.

BitShares is simple, unified, and captures what it is without extra overhead or the need to explain more.  It is easy to say, spell, and use.  It parallels Bitcoin nicely. 

X sounds eXtreme or "over hyped" or "advanced" or some other feeling that people don't get or like.

This. Exactly this. The X has to go.

Offline Agent86

• BTSX: agent86
    • View Profile

Just remember that selling BTSX to anyone who will buy is not the goal.  Marketing a functional service is the goal.

Getting investors who can take the time to understand complicated things, and understand the complex risks and opportunities is helpful.  (maybe I still think more as the company analogy)

Offline Agent86

• View Profile
I usually agree with you on the KISS principle .. but with BitShares we have a movement that is no longer "just about money" ..
It's not just a bank, not just an exchange, it comes with plenty of features .. all distributed and without counterparty risk ..

I'd love to come up with an analogy from history to compare this with ... but something like this has never happend before!

Disclaimer: Yes, I am excited about the superDAC!
I am also really excited about BitShares and the technology.  And I would be very happy to be proven wrong that we can make the rebranded BTS be the blockchain that "does it all"

I just don't want us to fall to the temptation of oversimplify things in order to appeal to and convince anyone with a checkbook to buy BitShares like this is a big accomplishment.   Companies tend not to aggressively market owning their stock to anyone who will buy.  Selling the service it provides is a different thing.  Sophisticated investors don't need us to dumb things down for them.

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
make a poll !!!!
What really wants the majority?

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
 +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5% +5%

I agree BitsharesX as a name should stay !!!!
After all, all the others are merged to BTSX
The X symbol is pretty cool also !!!

Bitshares eXchanges

but X can "replace" any DAC  that will be merged !!!!

BitSharesX
X = variable

where X=

X=VOTE
X=DNS
X=PLAY
X=MUSIC
X=ECXHANGE
X=..... etc...   you name it !!!!!

PS we have already a good/positive eXposure with that name !!!

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I usually agree with you on the KISS principle .. but with BitShares we have a movement that is no longer "just about money" ..
It's not just a bank, not just an exchange, it comes with plenty of features .. all distributed and without counterparty risk ..

I'd love to come up with an analogy from history to compare this with ... but something like this has never happend before!

Disclaimer: Yes, I am excited about the superDAC!

Offline Agent86

• View Profile
I know this decision is likely already made but I want to state my feeling before Nov 5th, because that is when the change is finalized.

I liked the branding of BitShares X as a bank and exchange.  I think just calling it "BitShares" is too generic and not descriptive enough of its function.  I still believe that one blockchain won't be all things to all people.

Trying desperately to make things "simple" to appeal to "investors" who apparently can't otherwise follow what we are doing is unnecessary in my opinion.