Author Topic: BitShares.com, Open-source project  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
Bytemaster,

As I stated in the title of this thread, this would be open source. In terms of hosting them both on BitShares.com and BitShares.org, I think that would confuse visitors, and would also be terrible for SEO.

I now have a position in BitShares, and have an asset that I can put to work to see my position gain in valuation. This would be clearly mutually beneficial to all shareholders. I will not 'pull the plug' as it is not in my best interest, but as you stated you are safe regardless since it is open source.

This is very good to hear and like I said, I fully support your effort.   By having it open source with two people owning different domains (.org and .com) it gives us solid decentralization!

+5%

I think your ideas for the general direction are great.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Bytemaster,

As I stated in the title of this thread, this would be open source. In terms of hosting them both on BitShares.com and BitShares.org, I think that would confuse visitors, and would also be terrible for SEO.

I now have a position in BitShares, and have an asset that I can put to work to see my position gain in valuation. This would be clearly mutually beneficial to all shareholders. I will not 'pull the plug' as it is not in my best interest, but as you stated you are safe regardless since it is open source.

This is very good to hear and like I said, I fully support your effort.   By having it open source with two people owning different domains (.org and .com) it gives us solid decentralization!
BAM!

I have only a little spare time left .. but let me know if I can help out with some little things .. maybe search some graphics or do some text/translation stuff ..

Offline bytemaster

Bytemaster,

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
I support this independent effort; however, I caution developing the website as closed source and pulling our entire community into one site for the primary reason that the owner of bitshares.com is looking to increase the value of the domain so he can sell it to the highest bidder.

So lets build a bitshares website that is opensource and easily cloneable to be independently hosted on both bitshares.org and bitshares.com and get a commitment from the holder of bitshares.com to not sell us out.

+5%

█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

* Designers, web developers
It seems like member 'Cass' is the resident designer here in the community. Cass, would you be interested in contributing your talents to this project?

sure, always happy to help/assist (when get time to - #1 BTS …) ... could we connect via skype!? Pls PM me ...thx
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 07:40:52 pm by cass »
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline BitShares.com

• View Profile
Bytemaster,

Offline bytemaster

I support this independent effort; however, I caution developing the website as closed source and pulling our entire community into one site for the primary reason that the owner of bitshares.com is looking to increase the value of the domain so he can sell it to the highest bidder.

So lets build a bitshares website that is opensource and easily cloneable to be independently hosted on both bitshares.org and bitshares.com and get a commitment from the holder of bitshares.com to not sell us out.

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline BitShares.com

• View Profile
BitShares community,

After contemplating the best way to use this domain, I have decided to allow the community to decide what it wants from BitShares.com. I will point the domain to a server of a trusted member, once a plan is set forth and a general consensus has been reached for what its purpose will be.

Here are some ideas I have for direction:

1- Comprehensive getting started guide; educational interface. I have been lurking here for quite a while now, and I believe to have a fairly well-rounded understanding of what BitShares is and is capable of. What I noticed is that an easily accessible new user guide is severely lacking. This should be a main focus on BitShares.com.

2- News and opinions articles. The quality of some of the posts here are fantastic, and these individuals could easily create quality articles to promote BitShares.

3- Bitshares statistics site, like SVK's bitsharesblocks.com. Perhaps if SVK is interested, we could join forces?

4- Online wallet, with the ability to purchase BTSX and BitUSD directly on the website. It was more difficult than it needed to be for me to obtain some BTSX, with purchasing BitCoin from Coinbase.com, transferring to Bter.com, downloading the wallet, creating an account, sending from Bter.com to my account.

5- Online interface for trading/shorting. I noticed member 'monsterer' is working on something like this, maybe we could also join forces?

In the end, my goal is for BitShares.com to be the one place you can always send someone for anything BitShares related.

Contributor Checklist:

* Hosting
We need someone to host the website.

* Project Manager
I will fulfill this role until a more qualified individual steps up. Even after this happens, I will want a hand in decision making.

* Designers, web developers
It seems like member 'Cass' is the resident designer here in the community. Cass, would you be interested in contributing your talents to this project?

* Content Creators, editors
We will need individuals to create the content for the new user guide, educational interfaces, and articles.

If you are interested in collaborating, please post here what you are capable of offering. If you are interested in this proposal at all, please post here and make your opinion vocal.