Author Topic: Knowing when to stop  (Read 6540 times)

Offline bytemaster

I agree with the OP and fully recognize the problem.   Every change I am making right now is toward focusing in on *ONE THING* and doing it right/well with a long term plan.

I want to color in the details on BitAssets and make them easy to use prior to branching out to many different features.

We are focusing and correcting and as a result are now stronger than ever.   We need a solid foundation prior to major growth even if it means taking a few steps back in the short term.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline suwoder

• View Profile

“I think what people are worried about is that you won't stop here. Once you have erased a hard line you put in place (no dilution), how can the random investor know which other lines will be preserved? The uncertainty is hurting the community, and we are not without competition.”

+5% +5%

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Thanks for posting!
My opinion on this is:
+ I can wait some years!
+ people keep on talking about dilution hear dilution there .. they don't see the big picture and they don't see that BTC has a significantly higher dilution that is WASTED ..

Anyway, once people understand what this "share injection"/"dilution" is good for .. and that it IS GOOD for the ecosystem .. we (the strong hands) will feel glad to be part of it! </IMHO>

Offline matt608

• View Profile
 +5% Agree.  Enough visionary thinking, we need code-crunching.  We've got bitUSD and bitassets and other awesome stuff.  Lets get it out there.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Several people have attempted to explain why the price of BTSX has fallen so dramatically recently. I can't claim any special authority, but I haven't seen my theory expressed yet, so I will do so and let the community judge the correctness.

BitShares offers some of the best technology in the cryptocurrency space. Specifically, DPOS and the peg mechanism are both brilliant economic / technological solutions that are proven, solve two of the largest problems with Bitcoin, and represent a real advancement over their competitive ideas.

Unfortunately, I am seeing a pattern that I have seen at several of the early stage silicon valley startup flame-outs that I have participated in as an engineer. (OK, so I guess I am claiming a LITTLE bit of special authority). Namely, the following pattern.

1) A brilliant engineer and technologist comes in and produces an amazing new solution to a real problem, and collects a sizable seed community. This attracts VCs (or in this case, capital from investors like myself).
2) The technologist now turned CEO, upon receiving this massive validation of their work in the form of millions of dollars of capital inflow, correctly concludes that the ideas that they have had so far were brilliant.
3) The technologist concludes that since their past ideas were great, that the future ones will be also. This is also probably true. However, large swaths of the community get alienated. They were buying into a particular vision, and that vision is now being discarded. They pull their capital, and the business suffers deeply. Sometimes it recovers, and sometimes it doesn't.

I'm not pulling my funding, but I suspect large swaths of our community have. It's important to know when to stop drawing outlines, and when to start coloring in the details of the vision. The most successful entrepreneurs know when to do that. Some of them go too far in the opposite direction, stop innovating altogether, and coast for the rest of their lives, but all the successful ones know when to stop making sweeping changes, or when to put the sweeping changes into a new vehicle.

Bytemaster, this particular set of changes you are advocating implementing might be good. Frankly, I'm not equipped to figure it out, and I suspect that it will take years of market validation to determine the answer. However, the BitSharesX of just a few weeks ago was brilliant, and was growing by leaps and bounds (if you compared it to a traditional business) even when the larger industry (cryptocurrencies in general) were shrinking. This is hard feedback, but I hope that you understand that I am coming from a place of constructive criticism, and an honest desire to improve BitSharesX.

I think what people are worried about is that you won't stop here. Once you have erased a hard line you put in place (no dilution), how can the random investor know which other lines will be preserved? The uncertainty is hurting the community, and we are not without competition.

It's also true that companies that cannot adapt quickly don't last. Google is still around.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline jonasmeyer

• View Profile
Several people have attempted to explain why the price of BTSX has fallen so dramatically recently. I can't claim any special authority, but I haven't seen my theory expressed yet, so I will do so and let the community judge the correctness.

BitShares offers some of the best technology in the cryptocurrency space. Specifically, DPOS and the peg mechanism are both brilliant economic / technological solutions that are proven, solve two of the largest problems with Bitcoin, and represent a real advancement over their competitive ideas.

Unfortunately, I am seeing a pattern that I have seen at several of the early stage silicon valley startup flame-outs that I have participated in as an engineer. (OK, so I guess I am claiming a LITTLE bit of special authority). Namely, the following pattern.

1) A brilliant engineer and technologist comes in and produces an amazing new solution to a real problem, and collects a sizable seed community. This attracts VCs (or in this case, capital from investors like myself).
2) The technologist now turned CEO, upon receiving this massive validation of their work in the form of millions of dollars of capital inflow, correctly concludes that the ideas that they have had so far were brilliant.
3) The technologist concludes that since their past ideas were great, that the future ones will be also. This is also probably true. However, large swaths of the community get alienated. They were buying into a particular vision, and that vision is now being discarded. They pull their capital, and the business suffers deeply. Sometimes it recovers, and sometimes it doesn't.

I'm not pulling my funding, but I suspect large swaths of our community have. It's important to know when to stop drawing outlines, and when to start coloring in the details of the vision. The most successful entrepreneurs know when to do that. Some of them go too far in the opposite direction, stop innovating altogether, and coast for the rest of their lives, but all the successful ones know when to stop making sweeping changes, or when to put the sweeping changes into a new vehicle.

Bytemaster, this particular set of changes you are advocating implementing might be good. Frankly, I'm not equipped to figure it out, and I suspect that it will take years of market validation to determine the answer. However, the BitSharesX of just a few weeks ago was brilliant, and was growing by leaps and bounds (if you compared it to a traditional business) even when the larger industry (cryptocurrencies in general) were shrinking. This is hard feedback, but I hope that you understand that I am coming from a place of constructive criticism, and an honest desire to improve BitSharesX.

I think what people are worried about is that you won't stop here. Once you have erased a hard line you put in place (no dilution), how can the random investor know which other lines will be preserved? The uncertainty is hurting the community, and we are not without competition.