Author Topic: IT Delegate Proposal - backbone.riverhead  (Read 6470 times)

Offline ticklebiscuit

• View Profile
I'm not too concerned about legal issues running a delegate. I'll report my income when I need to cash it out to fiat. This came up briefly on last week's mumble session and the common answer was you'd just be a freelancer.

As far as giving grants to fund projects perhaps BM and/or Stan can speak to that as they have done this already and they are on top of their legal game.

That said I would be willing to pool a legal defense fun with some delegates. Sounds like a perfect use for the new escrow functionality.

You need at least 50% pay rate for all you are wanting to do crazy guy. Choose 50%+

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=11370.msg149705#msg149705

hope this helps a bit to simplify the voting process directly out of forum
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline Riverhead

I'm not too concerned about legal issues running a delegate. I'll report my income when I need to cash it out to fiat. This came up briefly on last week's mumble session and the common answer was you'd just be a freelancer.

As far as giving grants to fund projects perhaps BM and/or Stan can speak to that as they have done this already and they are on top of their legal game.

That said I would be willing to pool a legal defense fun with some delegates. Sounds like a perfect use for the new escrow functionality.

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
What are the issues of legality when running delegates?
What are the legal issues behind receiving donations from delegates?

We need to pay lawyers to help us with this if there isnt a clear tyranny landscape...I mean laws on this.

Which country?
=============
btsx address: hpenvy
Tips appreciated for good work

Offline ticklebiscuit

• View Profile
What are the issues of legality when running delegates?
What are the legal issues behind receiving donations from delegates?

We need to pay lawyers to help us with this if there isnt a clear tyranny landscape...I mean laws on this.

Offline Riverhead

+5% to all you said, I'm with you there. Couldn't have said it better.

I already have started some delegate tools myself, which you can see described there: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9881.0, let's collaborate if you want.

Very sorry for not responding. I have been swamped at work with a SOX audit :( . I think collaborating is a fantastic idea. I suspect there are times we could even co-sponsor some projects where the cost would be too significant for either one of us to handle alone.

So as a way of a bump I'd like to campaign a 10% delegate backbone.riverhead. Thank you to those that have already said they'd support me. I will update this thread when the delegate is created.

Also, I updated the OP with my real world ID.

Thank you.
James.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 11:58:25 pm by Riverhead »

Offline wackou

+5% to all you said, I'm with you there. Couldn't have said it better.

I already have started some delegate tools myself, which you can see described there: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9881.0, let's collaborate if you want.

On another subject, It would be nice to start getting organized between IT delegates to setup something like this: http://digitalgaia.io/backbone.html . I believe it should not be too much work, just ensuring that a few nodes keep connections to a list of other ones to ensure a fully connected graph. And obviously, these nodes should be run by different people in different geographical locations. I still have a bit of work to do myself on the tools before, but say in a week or two I'll start gathering a list of people wanting to participate if no one has stepped up before to do it.
Please vote for witness wackou! More info at http://digitalgaia.io

Offline roadscape

As enjoyable as this job is, I'd like to leave it one day to be one of the first persons directly employed by a blockchain. Truly, I cannot think of anything more worthy of my abilities than this.

+5% to this and your proposal. We really need to establish best practices. Especially security. Looking forward to your contributions!
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline Riverhead

+5% , you'll have my vote as well.

Not sure 3% will cover much in the way of servers etc atm, you could probably ask for a little more, 5-10% maybe?

I'm wrestling with the same question of what pay-rate to set. I feel one has to take into account the amount of time being spent to "work for the blockchain" as well as the benefits of that work. Someone working full-time should merit a higher payrate than someone working 60%  (3 days per week) or 20% etc..

Probably best to start high and then ratchet down or do a proof-of-burn as BM suggested.

One thing I forgot to mention is that part of the pay will go to sponsoring development projects like your website. Rather than trying to higher a staff and all that goes along with that I feel it would be more efficient to fund existing independent operations.

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
 +5% I agree that this is a good example things a delegate can do, when paid by the blockchain
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline svk

+5%, you'll have my vote as well.

Not sure 3% will cover much in the way of servers etc atm, you could probably ask for a little more, 5-10% maybe?

I'm wrestling with the same question of what pay-rate to set. I feel one has to take into account the amount of time being spent to "work for the blockchain" as well as the benefits of that work. Someone working full-time should merit a higher payrate than someone working 60%  (3 days per week) or 20% etc..
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
+5% ... maybe you have fun building yet another pricefeed script ..
you'll have my vote

Offline Riverhead

UPDATE: Proposed Financials (Draft): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q3AQj5qDZiivmk8b1Rj6nQ5upsXikWguSu8IefOexxY/edit?usp=sharing

Folks,

One of the best features of this community is the diversity of talents people are bringing to the table. Finance gurus, true hacker level programmers, marketing experts, social media wizards, and a strong contingent of IT professionals. What this means to me is that there is enough breadth of skill sets that we can each play to our strengths. I've been in the IT businesses in various capacities (support, programmer, consultant, etc.) for about 25 years and I currently manage a corporate data warehouse for a publicly traded healthcare data analytics company. As enjoyable as this job is, I'd like to leave it one day to be one of the first persons directly employed by a blockchain. Truly, I cannot think of anything more worthy of my abilities than this.

I describe an IT Delegate's duties as:
  • Spend the majority of pay on ensuring the BTS backbone: Servers in multiple geopolitical regions. Node/chain servers that support the network and can also serve as standby delegates in the event of an attack.
  • Have a robust failover strategy for all nodes with a focus on the node that signs blocks.
  • Stay abreast of developments. This means being an active participant in DevShares. Nothing should catch an IT Delegate by surprise.
  • Create educational materials for other delegates and would-be delegates. Host technical how-to sessions for people that wish to learn the ins and outs of running a delegate from an IT perspective.
  • Support delegates that do not come from a technical background. This can include basic forum Q&A to one-on-one shared sessions.
  • Develop tools to help stabilize the delegate infrastructure: automated fail over servers, compile scripts that monitor github for new releases, etc.
  • Ensure price feeds are running and relevant for all active markets.
  • Help fund projects proposed by non delegates that further the security and utility of the infrastructure.
What else?

I will set initial pay rate at 10% and will put together a budget shortly.

TL;DR
  • Setup multiple standby delegates to ensure the security of the DPoS network in the event of an attack.
  • Help non-technical delegates get set up.
  • Create educational material for other delegates.
Who am I really? http://www.linkedin.com/pub/james-reidy/0/681/755
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 04:21:19 pm by Riverhead »