Author Topic: Russell Brand as a celebrity ambassador for BitShares. Discuss...  (Read 4230 times)

Offline room0.00000101

• View Profile
Iv read his book. He thinks he is on a mission from god.......the guy wants to get rid of the individual and create a spiritual collective Utopia. As has been pointed out, its all very fluffy.The guy no doubt means well however Bitshares can do better than getting fronted by a recovering heroin addict with a messiah complex. Just my opinion

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit

I don't think he would either.  The beautiful thing about BitShares is that it almost doesn't matter what political affiliations its members have because the community shares one common belief.. the belief of decentralization... of liberation.. of freedom.  And it's that belief thats shared by communists and anarchists alike. 

Communists believe in decentralization??

At the very least, the implementations of communism that were created in the world were the opposite of decentralization...they were centrally planned economies.

I was thinking of it as communism via anarcho syndicalism..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchist_communism
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline spartako

• View Profile

I don't think he would either.  The beautiful thing about BitShares is that it almost doesn't matter what political affiliations its members have because the community shares one common belief.. the belief of decentralization... of liberation.. of freedom.  And it's that belief thats shared by communists and anarchists alike. 

At the very least, the implementations of communism that were created in the world were the opposite of decentralization...they were centrally planned economies.

Engels: “Along with [the classes] the state will inevitably fall. Society, which will reorganise production on the basis of a free and equal association of the producers, will put the whole machinery of state where it will then belong: into the museum of antiquity, by the side of the spinning-wheel and the bronze axe.”

https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1884/origin-family/

It is really interesting from a philosophical point of view see if it possible merging anarcho-communism and anarcho-capitalism in a new model using the blockchain invention.
wallet_account_set_approval spartako

Offline yellowecho

696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline yellowecho

Actually I think Russel brand wouldnt agree with our politics / economic beliefs.

I don't think he would either.  The beautiful thing about BitShares is that it almost doesn't matter what political affiliations its members have because the community shares one common belief.. the belief of decentralization... of liberation.. of freedom.  And it's that belief thats shared by communists and anarchists alike.  In fact, having opposing views within the community would only strengthen the foundation of the network as 75% consensus would need to be acquired for change... that's far better than any straight democracy.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Actually I think Russel brand wouldnt agree with our politics / economic beliefs.

Offline yellowecho

I think his spiritual messages are refreshing and I agree with much of his rantings about inequality but I believe his ignorance of economics, business, and monetary policy leads him to formulate false conclusions about the proper direction for political change.

With that said, it might be an ingenious idea to approach him and other associated media presence like Max Keiser to be delegates in BitShares.  Doing so would give them another platform for revolutionary change, funds to donate or invest, while holding them accountable via voting.  Just imagine what Brand and Kesier could do with the VOTE DAC ! 

Offline Methodise

Man is basically famous for freewheeling, wooly chatter while sitting uninvited on everyone's lap. Like the laughable end of the spectrum of psychosis.
BTS: methodise

Offline pseudoscops

Actually this is a good idea. He knows about DACs so it might be a good idea to ask him if he'd like to be a delegate. In exchange we could give him some easy job such as to explain Bitshares in his own unique way or to explain what DACs are.

Chances is he wouldn't even respond to the offer but you can make one.

I wasn't aware that he already knew about DACs. Any chance you could point me in the direction of where you discovered that he did? I'd like to get a steer on where his current level of understanding is at.

jakub

I've been thinking about this as well. I fully support this idea.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
I've been thinking about my concerns about the difficulty of marketing the Community message. But I'm starting to realise that it might be a necessity and very powerful if we can actually pull it off. Though I still much prefer Digital Autonmous Cooperative. Community will spring forth around such a Cooperative.

I do however think we're going to find it difficult to get people to listen to Community/Cooperative message if the words seem to come from us technologists/crypto-geeks. I am of the belief that we need to ally ourselves with charismatic 'celebrities' sympathetic to our cause as a route to wider recognition. Celebrity ambassadors if you will.

I think we should target Russell Brand as our first celebrity ambassador. Watch Russell in action here:

http://youtu.be/_bKQXmvdr8o?list=PLxwJqOkxQ7PEUWv_OTq7DRPAEpFzvLfMO

I've been following Russell's transformation over the last few years. A transformation from a self indulgent and slightly irritating spoiled UK/Hollywood celeb to where he seems to be now. That is to say, a passionate, intelligent and enlightened man desperate to get your average Joe to wake up to the fact that the system is shafting them and that we are destroying the planet as a result of this system that to some degree enslaves us all. If we really need to push the Community message he could be the man to do it if we could actually get him on board. Here's a clip of him talking to The Independent, a major UK newspaper, this week:

http://bcove.me/dmvicbvq

After watching this I thought wow, if only he knew about BitShares and the discussion going on here on the forums right now. If he did know about BitShares, perhaps he could expand on the bit where he mentions we can change things 'using the technology that already exists.' His message is almost a perfect fit. The video came from this article:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/if-you-think-russell-brands-new-book-is-confused-you-should-read-what-his-critics-have-to-say-about-it-9829224.html

The above article sarcastically agrees with some of the sneering and jeering press that has been directed at Russell this week. In fact the Independent article is backing up his message.

Russell recently released a book called Revolution. Some of his thinking is a little wooly, but I think with the structure, brains and community of BitShares backing up what is a similar message we could be extremely good bedfellows. I think his involvement in the BitShares project would act as a force multiplier for what we are trying to do here and what he seems to be trying get people to wake up to also.

Some people here in the UK really dislike him, usually because they believe he's a shameless self promoter or just find him irritating. I don't actually think he is interested in self promotion anymore, I think he really believes in this stuff. Whichever is true, and I'm certain it's the latter, I  think he'd be a massive asset to the team here if we could explain BitShares to him and get him on board.

He's intelligent and sharp and he'd get BitShares pretty quickly I think and work out how to explain it in simple terms so people would understand it. Here's another link to his 'Trews' channel on YouTube for those interesting in getting a steer on where he is coming from.

https://www.youtube.com/user/russellbrand

Discuss....

Actually this is a good idea. He knows about DACs so it might be a good idea to ask him if he'd like to be a delegate. In exchange we could give him some easy job such as to explain Bitshares in his own unique way or to explain what DACs are.

Chances is he wouldn't even respond to the offer but you can make one.

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
I think Russel Brand is intelligent, articulate and quick witted, while not a big fan of his stand up comedy some of his comedy interviews are the most legendary, entertaining and impressive I've ever seen.

On a personal level, while he seems to genuinely believe that he's very spiritually enlightened, I find his actions sometimes betray a desire for self-importance, intellectual superiority and popularity which restricts the impact he has in areas where he attempts to be a positive force for change.

I don't think a DAC would fit his ideology unless he thinks of it as a way to 'stick it to the man.' Hmm... Yeah he might be so pissed off with the establishment that currently controls everything that he may consider supporting an alternative. Almost any celeb endorsement/interest would be good publicity even if some of his views are the antithesis of what DACs are about.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 07:16:13 pm by Empirical1.1 »

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
I would argue 'we' should always be changed to 'I'. Create a campaign, get some people involved and just push. Decentralized effort is discussion is great, decentralized action is even better.
=============
btsx address: hpenvy
Tips appreciated for good work