Author Topic: All Bitshares, Protoshares, and DNS stolen from my wallet -- at the same time  (Read 46447 times)

Offline bytemaster

Re: All Bitshares and Protoshares stolen from my wallet -- at the same time
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2014, 04:20:05 pm »

I sent 400 btsx to "educatedwarrior". If he hadn't changed his Titan name, and it went to the thief, then I am pretty pissed off and will not send more.

If thief stole pts wallet then it will be fine, if btsx wallet then the account key may be compromised. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline onceuponatime

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2014, 04:12:58 pm »
I sent 400 btsx to "educatedwarrior". If he hadn't changed his Titan name, and it went to the thief, then I am pretty pissed off and will not send more.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2014, 02:15:41 pm »
could we as a community help  educatedwarrior out?
Would it be a good idea to make something like a fund raise to help him out?
Anybody could be in his position after all... even members that are very careful and experienced could have problems like that.
What about to vote for a delegate with 100% payrate that will use all funds as a security fund for members that get screwed in future like educatedwarrior ?
Of course somehow they may exist rules so future members don't create fake story’s etc. ....
We could vote for example with polls or even using the future vote dac about the decision we made to help trusted(?) members with identical issues...
What about the future insurance DAC? Could it be useful for situations like that?
I have lost about 3 BTC because they had compromised my windows account before some months ... It was an awful feeling !!! And he lost everything! Imagine that! Man that's a nightmare...
And I bet it's not only the value of the coins... it's more fustrating to know they lost PTS and BTSX, not money... He lost something with real emotional value, cause he was probably also supporting the vision we all share together... bitshares...

PS1 I know everybody here are frustrated the last days because of the BTSX price decline (me included), but it doesn't mean we will not support our community members...
We managed to see 10% and 20% declines every day on our total stake value... I assume nobody will have problem to "loose" another 0.1% because he donated to help a member in trouble out ?  We are about 200 forum members every single day online... If we all help, it will need only a very small donation from each of us...

2000 PTS divided with our active 200 members is 10 pts for each donation, with current price x $1.7 = $17 bitUSD
I start  with sending $20 bitUSD and I promise to send more if we not get close to the numbers we need to make him happy again   :)

PS2 It would be great to give us maybe more details about your losses and some proves maybe for members that are not so sure/convinced etc...

EDIT:
shit! now I thought about it! I sent my donation to: BTSX: educatedwarrior
does it mean I sent it to the thief ? Please login and sent it somewhere else before you loose that too... Our did you changed the password?
Is your wallet safe now? Either way let us know where we can sent safely  some funds  ;)

Anybody that made a donation please reply here to track the total  donations... We don't want to make him rich either  :P
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 02:43:31 pm by liondani »

Offline educatedwarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2014, 01:06:21 pm »
Hmm , we'll you guys know my riches to rags story.  Learn from it.  Don't put your wallets in  windows.
BTSX: codeblooded   |   PTS: PiiQ6ZECCRYawcZFc8ZGbvjuCjCnBVuPjA
BTSX delegate: wallet_approve_delegate codeblooded true

Offline educatedwarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 07:24:56 am »
Guys, I believe I figure out the issue.

I had Armory wallet installed to protect my bitcoins ... it appears Armory wallet has installed some virus on my computer.   Here are viruses I have found all in my Armory wallet data folders.

Murphy, oropax, syslock, diskspoiler, prtscr 1024, attention.

Armory wallet F'd me up my brothers.   Damn, bastards!!   

So figured the issue could have been a virus ... maybe.   But my funds are long gone.
That's probably a false positive:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=554738.0

I wanted to to say that also.
I am sure it was not armory but false positives because of the blockchain that has virus signatures on it... It's a known "issue"...

Liondani, I verified what you said to be correct ... the virus were identified under the blockchain database file folders.

So if this was a false positive, that would mean the virus was not the culprit?

QUESTIONS
Anyone got any ideas on how I can get my money back .... or am I just screwed.  Anyway we could track who the coins went to?

How could they have stolen my PTS and BTSX at the same time? .... they may have my AGS as well.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 01:04:26 pm by educatedwarrior »

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 06:05:16 am »

I had Armory wallet installed to protect my bitcoins ... it appears Armory wallet has installed some virus on my computer.   Here are viruses I have found all in my Armory wallet data folders.

So figured the issue could have been a virus ... maybe.   But my funds are long gone.

I wanted to to say that also.
I am sure it was not armory but false positives because of the blockchain that has virus signatures on it... It's a known "issue"...

busygin

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 03:48:37 am »

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 03:23:21 am »
yubikey combined with a password manager is a  good solution...

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 997D

Offline Riverhead

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 02:27:48 am »
Just send your balance to yourself. TITAN will make sure the keys are unique

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 02:25:04 am »
For the record, did you import the wallet or pts keys to other wallets? If so, which ones?

I am curious about that also, as well as what did the anti-virus found, if anything?

Also where did the money on the BTSX chain went?

When I look at the ledger it says it went to "UNKNOWN"    .   How could that be?

I quick scanned my computer for virus using AVAST and didn't have any viruses.   I will do a deep scan and let you know.

Here's a very important question, I'm not sure why nobody has asked it yet:

When you imported your PTS wallet into BTSX, did you make any transactions afterwards? If you did not make any transactions, then your BTSX balance was never moved out of its place on the genesis block, where it had the same private key as your PTS balance. Then if anybody stole your PTS private key, they would have access to your BTSX balance.

If this is what happened, then our community is to blame for not having a solid best practices manual for importing balances.

Where do you store your PTS wallet.dat file? Is it encrypted?

Damn, educatedwarrior. I'm very sorry about this. I do hope to convince you that this isn't a Bitshares problem; it's a private key security problem, which is common to all cryptocurrencies.

Does the entire balance need to be moved after importing from the genesis block?  What's the best method here?

Offline joele

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 02:03:30 am »

Do you have antivirus? or your antivirus did not catch it?

Offline educatedwarrior

• View Profile

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:41:51 am by educatedwarrior »

Offline sudo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: ags
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 12:45:21 am »
check the sha1 hash of your btsx setup exe file

来自我的 GT-I9305 上的 Tapatalk

Offline educatedwarrior

• View Profile
Re: All Protoshares stolen from my wallet
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 10:46:07 pm »
For the record, did you import the wallet or pts keys to other wallets? If so, which ones?

I am curious about that also, as well as what did the anti-virus found, if anything?

When I look at the ledger it says it went to "UNKNOWN"    .   How could that be?

I quick scanned my computer for virus using AVAST and didn't have any viruses.   I will do a deep scan and let you know.

When you imported your PTS wallet into BTSX, did you make any transactions afterwards? If you did not make any transactions, then your BTSX balance was never moved out of its place on the genesis block, where it had the same private key as your PTS balance. Then if anybody stole your PTS private key, they would have access to your BTSX balance.

If this is what happened, then our community is to blame for not having a solid best practices manual for importing balances.

Damn, educatedwarrior. I'm very sorry about this. I do hope to convince you that this isn't a Bitshares problem; it's a private key security problem, which is common to all cryptocurrencies.

It sounds like this is what happened.  After I imported my PTS into my BTSX wallet, I made a couple transactions selling about 25% and keeping the rest in my claim address.   The amount I kept in my claim address is all gone now.

Both of my wallets were encrypted.  They were stored on my Windows desktop computer encrypted... PTS and BTSX.     

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 10:48:56 pm by educatedwarrior »

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
Re: All Protoshares stolen from my wallet
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 10:37:34 pm »

Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."