Author Topic: Colored Coins / Mastercoin / ProtoShares / BitShares  (Read 8616 times)

Offline cob

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cobb
What are the pros and cons of bitshares vs mastercoin?

Which would be more versatile for the long run? Less bulky, more clean and elegant?
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

Colored coins and Mastercoins are essentially add on's to the bitcoin protocol, they function by using the bitcoin blockchain.

Colored coins are stock/bonds that people send/issue through their bitcoin wallets. They represent whatever the issuer decidedness
Mastercoins has a few features such as "savings wallets", and "betting" (futures markets kinda that allow you to hold value at the price of (insert anything).

Protoshares and bitshares are a different ball game. They don't sit on top of the bitcoin blockchain. Protoshares are basically stock in what Invictus innovations does. Any protoshares you own will be forked into the DACs invictus creates. One of these is bitshares, there is a lot going on with bitshares and you can learn about them on this forum, but to dumb it down to a sentence they are tackling some of the same issues as mastercoin but not exactly the same. Bitshares hasn't come out yet so protoshares are the only way to get them right now. Bitshares will pay dividends. If you think about bitshares like a distributed financial services corp that will pay profits back as dividends to bitshare owners.   

Good Summary.

BitShares:
Pays Dividends from Transaction Fees
Multiple Blockchains for Scalability and Different markets (commodities, stocks, currencies)
Does not rely upon trusted data feeds
Does not rely upon IOUs or bearer bonds

Colored Coins:  Bearer Bonds layered on Bitcoin
Mastercoin:  Colored Coins + BitShares like BitAssets implemented with Trusted (centralized) price feeds.

ProtoShares -> BitShares, DomainShares, LuckyShares, VoteShares, AP Shares

The primary problem with Mastercoin is that it will be limited in transaction volume by the Bitcoin network and they will eventually have to move to their own blockchain.   

Mastercoin and Invictus are both well funded but going about it in different ways. 

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline smiley35

• View Profile
Colored coins and Mastercoins are essentially add on's to the bitcoin protocol, they function by using the bitcoin blockchain.

Colored coins are stock/bonds that people send/issue through their bitcoin wallets. They represent whatever the issuer decidedness
Mastercoins has a few features such as "savings wallets", and "betting" (futures markets kinda that allow you to hold value at the price of (insert anything).

Protoshares and bitshares are a different ball game. They don't sit on top of the bitcoin blockchain. Protoshares are basically stock in what Invictus innovations does. Any protoshares you own will be forked into the DACs invictus creates. One of these is bitshares, there is a lot going on with bitshares and you can learn about them on this forum, but to dumb it down to a sentence they are tackling some of the same issues as mastercoin but not exactly the same. Bitshares hasn't come out yet so protoshares are the only way to get them right now. Bitshares will pay dividends. If you think about bitshares like a distributed financial services corp that will pay profits back as dividends to bitshare owners.   

Offline Gekko

• Lunch is for wimps........ Greed is good.
    • View Profile
Thanks for the offer, but I would appreciate if you could write it down in this thread, so others can read it, too.
The shorter the better! :)

Offline bytemaster

Give me a call on Skype and send me a pm.  I will be more than happy to explain it all to you  and answer all of your questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org

Offline Gekko

• Lunch is for wimps........ Greed is good.
    • View Profile
Can somebody explain the differences between the "Coins" mentioned in the subject  in simple words?
There is so much documentation about all of them, but if I wanted to invest let's say $100000 in "digital currency" to make the most of it - and I'm not interested in the technology behind it or how to mine it -, if I just want to make the most profit of my $ over the next let's say 5 years, what would you advise where to invest the money - and why?

Nobody can predict the future and of course, this is the BitShares forum - but knowing what you're dealing with: why are you here and not over at Colored Coin or Mastercoin?
Is it because BitShare/ProtoShare is so fresh and you see a chance of getting in early - or are there more profound reasons you prefer Proto/BitShare to the others?