Author Topic: Code Checking System  (Read 2070 times)

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Agreed if turing scripts are in it opens the world to code hackers and smart integrators. Coders are inherently lazy but smart so hardto incentisize them.. Once we have a structure in place and even better marketing it may happen but i think coders will come when market arises
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Code checking is inefficient.. it is only useful for untestable code. If we design for testability its the last resort.

About developers.. I msged Stan after not hearing from BM regarding an interview and seems devs will have to wait until it becomes attractive for devs to dev through the whole voting/delegate process which may be attractive once we get to like $100m marketcap or something.

This means aslong as we are super cheap.. devs won't come.. I probably will lose interest by then or move onto other projects that need help by then just like other devs who come and lurk.. but who knows maybe if price does recover that it will happen intime for it to take out competitors... seems its a race against time right now and there needs tobe some catching up happening pretty fast.

Devs would come if the market cap were low with the expectation is that the market cap will increase. If things were organized a bit better I would contribute to development but right now it's just difficult to open things up.

To get more developers we need to provide the Turing complete scripting functionality. Right now Ethereum is trying to get all the developers but because their setup is too confusing and hard to use the Bitshares platform has a moment of opportunity. Whichever platform is the most developer friendly will get the most developers and it's not all about money.

The more languages you accept, the more flexibility you give developers, the more high level development you welcome, the more developers you will have. Few know C++ and the amount of people who know C++ well enough to make significant contributions to Bitshares is few even among people who know C++. Almost anyone can write scripts though.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Code checking is inefficient.. it is only useful for untestable code. If we design for testability its the last resort.

About developers.. I msged Stan after not hearing from BM regarding an interview and seems devs will have to wait until it becomes attractive for devs to dev through the whole voting/delegate process which may be attractive once we get to like $100m marketcap or something.

This means aslong as we are super cheap.. devs won't come.. I probably will lose interest by then or move onto other projects that need help by then just like other devs who come and lurk.. but who knows maybe if price does recover that it will happen intime for it to take out competitors... seems its a race against time right now and there needs tobe some catching up happening pretty fast.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 01:15:11 am by jsidhu »

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
I hate to see this idea get buried in the forums, so I'm reviving in hopes that bytemaster or a developer will save it somewhere.

Code Checking System

With this code checking system a developer can check each line of the Bitshares code while getting paid to find errors, change, or improve the code.

Here is how it works: A developer/checker opens a program to check the Bitshares code. At the end of each line of code, there is a checkbox, green for ok, red for bad. At each line you can see a number of how many people have checked the code. Those that find the most mistakes get rewarded the most.

If you have checked over 100 lines of code that have no errors you get a small reward. If you find an error you get rewarded a lot more. Each "checker" adds to the value of the code. The more a line has been approved the less likely it contains errors.

Also, say 100 checkers have checked the box green, and then one checker comes along and sees an error. This checker gains 1 point of reputation, while the other 100 checkers lose 1 point of reputation. So if you lose a lot of reputation you could lose your status as a checker, since you probably aren't good at coding. Also, the first person to find the error get's the most pay and reputation, those that verify after his confirmed error get less pay, since he found it first. This way there is a race to find the first error.

Finally, if a line of code has been checked let's say over 5,000 times. This line of code will be declared 100% error free. Error free lines have the boxes removed/no more rewards for this line, this helps checkers go over newer lines of code.

This "Code Checking System" could also bring more developers to Bitshares as they would be attracted to getting paid to check code.... "I can get paid for checking code, what is bitshares,....very cool, let me look at this code.... :) oh one error here :)"

Also, later down the road, you could add the ability for a checker to add a line of code or change a line. And this line can get voted up or down by the other checkers. If your line get's approved over 1,000 times it get's added to the next update and you get paid for changing or adding the line.

Here is the original thread: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=10871.0

Everyone's input and thoughts are appreciated.
+5% +5% +5% +5%
This is a fantastic idea. Can it be implemented? Distributed autonomous auditing?

There are a lot of brilliant ideas buried in these forums. This is why we need 100 full time developers because at this point there are so many brilliant ideas that people from other communities can lurk in these forums just to find ideas.

Code checkers should be rewarded with tangible incentives rather than BitUSD. It should also add to their reputation.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:25:17 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline monsterer

designing for testability negates the needs for such a stringent code revew system. IMO its better to start by offering rewards to valid unit tests and then work on an integration test suite.. block box and white box testing prevents most problems in the field.. after that some system should be inplemented to offer rewards via reviews but shouldnt be the main focus right now

I couldn't agree more. Actually - providing rewards for unit tests by external parties which reproduce a failure would be hugely valuable.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
designing for testability negates the needs for such a stringent code revew system. IMO its better to start by offering rewards to valid unit tests and then work on an integration test suite.. block box and white box testing prevents most problems in the field.. after that some system should be inplemented to offer rewards via reviews but shouldnt be the main focus right now

Offline monsterer

Programming doesn't work on that level of granularity. Improvements always come first with the algorithm, at the high level, not at the individual lines of code.

A mass consensus on the validity of individual lines of code makes about as much sense as rating the individual words in a book.

Your idea is not without merit, though - just change the scale a bit. Code review is an excellent practice and greatly helps reduce the number of bugs in a given system. If you can find a way to build your system around that, you might be on to something.

Cheers, Paul.

My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.

Offline bluebit

• View Profile
I hate to see this idea get buried in the forums, so I'm reviving in hopes that bytemaster or a developer will save it somewhere.

Code Checking System

With this code checking system a developer can check each line of the Bitshares code while getting paid to find errors, change, or improve the code.

Here is how it works: A developer/checker opens a program to check the Bitshares code. At the end of each line of code, there is a checkbox, green for ok, red for bad. At each line you can see a number of how many people have checked the code. Those that find the most mistakes get rewarded the most.

If you have checked over 100 lines of code that have no errors you get a small reward. If you find an error you get rewarded a lot more. Each "checker" adds to the value of the code. The more a line has been approved the less likely it contains errors.

Also, say 100 checkers have checked the box green, and then one checker comes along and sees an error. This checker gains 1 point of reputation, while the other 100 checkers lose 1 point of reputation. So if you lose a lot of reputation you could lose your status as a checker, since you probably aren't good at coding. Also, the first person to find the error get's the most pay and reputation, those that verify after his confirmed error get less pay, since he found it first. This way there is a race to find the first error.

Finally, if a line of code has been checked let's say over 5,000 times. This line of code will be declared 100% error free. Error free lines have the boxes removed/no more rewards for this line, this helps checkers go over newer lines of code.

This "Code Checking System" could also bring more developers to Bitshares as they would be attracted to getting paid to check code.... "I can get paid for checking code, what is bitshares,....very cool, let me look at this code.... :) oh one error here :)"

Also, later down the road, you could add the ability for a checker to add a line of code or change a line. And this line can get voted up or down by the other checkers. If your line get's approved over 1,000 times it get's added to the next update and you get paid for changing or adding the line.

Here is the original thread: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=10871.0

Everyone's input and thoughts are appreciated.
BTSX TipMe: bluebit