Author Topic: BitUSD is failing HARD  (Read 4621 times)

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
I feel its every bit as important for bitAssets to trade against other assets on external exchanges, as it is for BTSX to do so. Otherwise buying BTSX (soon BTS) is the only on-ramp to be able to get into bitAssets or buy bitUSD for trade. It adds another step, possible confusion and some risk in the process, when it should be as simple as possible.

BitUSD should not be removed from external exchanges  for this reason but also that it would be a poor signal to outsiders. It is better to be be supported by arbitrage. If you stand in the BTER BitUSD/USD market to buy at $0.70 and get hit, then stand in the internal market to sell at $0.98 worth of BTSX and get hit on that, ship the BTSX back to BTER and sell it for a $0.28 profit. Now reality is you will pick up very little at $0.70, but you may pick up enough for this to be worthwhile at say $0.90. Incidentally tighter spreads improve liquidity, as we can see for NBT.

The real question is why are people not doing this and what can we do to support it. I think one issue is that people don't have an easy way to do such market making and arbitrage strategies. That's one reason why I came to thinking that a script/bot marketplace could be useful, as in my #7 post here...https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=11004.0

I think its only natural that if we claim the peg is working and outsiders see evidence that it is not, they will criticise. This isn't fair or unfair. It just tells us we need to get things working better and smarter.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Who can make an egopay account? It's 2% fee to deposit so you could make several % spread by putting a wall at $0.95

@toast
you forget the fee to deposit to egopay USDs... but it still works near $0.90

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
So is it cheaper to buy bitUSD on bter or btsx?

If you want to buy in a short timeframe, BTSX is better because of higher liquidity (tighter spreads). If you can afford to wait, Bter is better because of lower liquidity: since the spread is so wide and the markets are so thin on Bter, if you wait long enough you might get an opportunity to pay only 61 cents for a bitUSD, like the OP pointed out. :)

Indeed, the opportunity to buy 5 cents worth of bitUSD for only 3 cents, making a 2 cent profit.   Then you can go buy 1 BTSX with it.

Such liquidity, wow.

Just trade in the Bitsahres asset exchange.

If you want to hedge into USD on bter, the best way to do it is actually to buy Nubits.  (I am not recommending Nubits long term - only as a short term hedge with money on bter specifically, because Nubits market makers provide high liquidity there!)
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil

If you want to buy in a short timeframe, BTSX is better because of higher liquidity (tighter spreads). If you can afford to wait, Bter is better because of lower liquidity: since the spread is so wide and the markets are so thin on Bter, if you wait long enough you might get an opportunity to pay only 61 cents for a bitUSD, like the OP pointed out. :)
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline kisa

• View Profile

bter doesn't have liquidity, very wide bid/ask spreads. you can't buy bitUSD significantly cheaper on there - you only can sell it cheaper which is not interesting...

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
Host of BitShares.TV and Author of BitShares 101

Offline Ander

• View Profile

Yeah probably because nearly nobody has any real USD on bter, it's quite difficult to deposit USD on bter.

The BTC/BitUSD trade pair is functioning much better.

Yes exactly.  The trade on bter (in all coins) is mostly BTC, with some CNY.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline kokojie

• View Profile
Bter literally has zero liquidity for bitUSD.

According to coinmarketcap, bitUSD is trading at $1.02 right now on the Bitshares asset exchange, which is where you should trade bitUSD if you want to trade it, because there is nowhere else that has any liquidity.

Yeah probably because nearly nobody has any real USD on bter, it's quite difficult to deposit USD on bter.

The BTC/BitUSD trade pair is functioning much better.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Who can make an egopay account? It's 2% fee to deposit so you could make several % spread by putting a wall at $0.95
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Riverhead

If you want to understand it better and hear some Q&A here is Daniel Larimer's keynote speech at Inside Bitcoin in Las Vegas.

http://vimeo.com/user24356268/review/109390470/40926b1e3e

Offline Ander

• View Profile
Bter literally has zero liquidity for bitUSD.

According to coinmarketcap, bitUSD is trading at $1.02 right now on the Bitshares asset exchange, which is where you should trade bitUSD if you want to trade it, because there is nowhere else that has any liquidity.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
https://bter.com/trade/bitusd_usd

We ought to have this market removed, this is insanely bad marketing to people who don't understand that this is not the peg.

On the contrary, we ought to start using this market! Or rather, we should get CNY to bitCNY, that probably makes more sense on a Chinese exchange :p

Offline Riverhead

The price on Bter is not 'the peg'. The price of the internal BTSX market is where the strong peg is.

Check this out for peg status:

Fair enough, I did not realize this. Thanks

Good stuff. This is actually pretty cool. You went from thinking the whole thing was a sham to starting to understand in about 15 minutes. Hopefully others will read your post and this thread. We're in a confusing time right now with the merger, low volumes, new terms, etc. I can understand anyone that isn't currently "living" BitShares to be like...wtf is going on?

Welcome to the forum :) .

Offline Rune

• View Profile
There is currently no active market for usd-> bitUSD. That doesn't make it useless however, it's still an excellent tool for decentralized hedging against fall in BTS price, or even a passive store of value that slowly accumulates a (currently tiny) interest.

The real utility will be when we start seeing asset -> bitAsset on ramps. They can be low volume and spread out everywhere (in fact bitassets are so ridiculously perfect for ATMs). Then the pegs for the major assets will likely solidify at 1, and BTS trading on centralized exchanges can stop entirely because it will all happen on the internal exchange where volume is highest and fees are lowest.

Man I'm looking forward to that. We will become permanently immune to goxing, regulatory crackdowns, hackers, willy bot or coordinated exchange manipulation and short selling. It's gonna be amazing

Offline kisa

• View Profile
hey lord, please next time keep the tone of your message down somewhat... nothing wrong with asking questions or telling your concerns. however, your alarmist title and content immediately reminded of competitors spreading FUD, I hope this is not the case. cheers - kisa