Author Topic: Upgrading to v.0.4.23.1 on linux [SOLVED]  (Read 4453 times)

Offline mira

• View Profile
okay.  so I started by deleting bitsharex folder.  Then tried the instructions for linux users on the dacsumlimited site that read:  "For Linux users, remember to checkout the tag v0.4.23.1 first"

When I enter git checkout v0.4.23.1, the message is:

"fatal: Not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /home/****)
Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set)."

----Messages posted at the same time.  Thank you so much! 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 09:38:49 am by mira »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I'm not in the midst of it at the moment, but will begin the process again. 

At first I tried the git checkout command before any other command, and it said something about there not being any git repository..... then I figured out i needed to be in the bitsharesx folder (after cloning the bitsharesx page) for it to seem to do anything, which was mostly talking about the "head"

i'm sorry, I'm technically remedial (but persistent!)   

I'll begin again now so I can give a more precise answer if this doesn't help.

Perhaps before I begin though, can you tell me at what point should I insert the command "git checkout v0.4.23.1?"

you originally downloaded the whole repository from the servers when doing the "git clone ..." command ... that created the btisharesx folder and all the files in it ..

it "git pull" you can update your downloaded repository to the most recent updates on github .. that is usually called "HEAD" (most recent).

now there are so called "tags" or "releases" that have a version number .. in your case "v0.4.23.1" .. you can see all tags with "git tag -l" ..
if you want to install a certain version .. you need to "checkout" the files from your repository ... this step will result in files from that particular version .. although the repository (read: "HEAD") might have some "unreleased" changes ..

so what you do in a total would look like this
Code: [Select]
git clone https://github.com/dacsunlimited....  ## initially to download the repo / needs to be done only once ..

cd bitsharesx ## change the dir and go into the repo

git pull ## update repository to the state @ github

git checkout v0.4.23.1 ## checkout a partiuclar version

cmake .
make

Offline mira

• View Profile
I'm not in the midst of it at the moment, but will begin the process again. 

At first I tried the git checkout command before any other command, and it said something about there not being any git repository..... then I figured out i needed to be in the bitsharesx folder (after cloning the bitsharesx page) for it to seem to do anything, which was mostly talking about the "head"

i'm sorry, I'm technically remedial (but persistent!)   

I'll begin again now so I can give a more precise answer if this doesn't help.

Perhaps before I begin though, can you tell me at what point should I insert the command "git checkout v0.4.23.1?"

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
what message do you get after the "git checkout" command?

Offline mira

• View Profile
I've not figured out how to use the "git checkout v0.4.23.1" as listed on dacsunlimited site.  I keep ending up with v.22 again, which won't completely sync. Basic instructions would be most appreciated!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 03:08:40 am by mira »