Author Topic: Our Technology - For Average Joe  (Read 4001 times)

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
I think this is prefect as a 'How does it work?' section on a non-technical site. If this is too hard to understand, then there is little more you can do.

This could then point to full specification documents for those that want to dig deeper

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
blockchain should have described as

"ownership validation of distributed collective"

OVDC    :P
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 05:03:06 pm by btswildpig »
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline Fanya

• View Profile
I think it is still too hard to understand for people who has no knowledge about bitcoin

Offline Riverhead

I'm wondering if we can come up with something other than "blockchain". It's a secure encrypted ledger that happens to currently use the blockchain. For those not steeped in Bitcoin, or crypto-currencies in general, it may be an unimportant implementation detail of what's actually being achieved (and sold) as the integrity assurance.

Integrity - Using modern distributed cryptographic technology  a transparent global transaction record that follows defined rules for accounting and governance secured by digital signatures....
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 04:54:05 pm by Riverhead »

Offline bytemaster

I am working on explaining our technology in terms that are understandable.  This should describe how BitShares works without getting into jargon or assumed knowledge of Bitcoin. 

Our Technology

BitShares brings us the future of banking based on relatively simple technology that is easy to understand because it merely automates something that could be done with pen and paper.   

The BitShare - known as BTS, is the foundation upon which everything else is built.  A BTS is a digital asset that has a value determined by the market.  You can think of it like the stock of a bank. Unlike stock in traditional banks a bitshare confers no legal rights and is not a security.    BTS are created when individuals make capital contributions that contribute to the growth of the BitShares ecosystem.   

Democratic Governance - 101 individuals, known as delegates, are elected by gaining the approval of the most bitshare holders.  Each bitshare is allowed to approve of up to 111 delegates.  Once elected these delegates are paid a salary approved by the bitshare holders to grow, secure, and maintain the network.    The process used to select the delegates is known as approval voting and in theory all 101 delegates could have 100% approval by all bitshare holders. 

Transparency - the core of BitShares is transparent accounting that allows everyone to audit the accounts and prove the system is solvent and all transfers are authorized.

Irreversibility - every transaction is added to a public ledger that is signed by the delegates approved by the bitshare holders.  After the majority of delegates have publicly signed the ledger containing your transaction it becomes a permanent part of history.

Unforgeable Digital Signatures - BitShares uses well known cryptographic signatures that allow you to securely sign every transfer from your account.  Without your digital signature no one in the world can spend your money.   Cryptographic signatures are mathematically impossible to forge or guess.

Backed Assets - All balances for gold, silver, or national currencies are backed by three times their value in BTS.  These balances are known as BitAssets.  They are created when a BTS holder wishes to borrow a dollar from BitShares and secures their loan by using BTS as collateral.   The delegates ensure that the loan is called and repaid long before the collateral becomes worth less than the loan.   A BitUSD or dollar deposit can be thought of as an IOU the value of a dollar from the BitShares network.  They are only redeemable for a variable number of BTS which will have the market value of a dollar.

Blockchain - Everything described above is built on the technology of a blockchain which was first introduced by Bitcoin.  A blockchain is nothing more than a transparent global transaction record that follows defined rules for accounting and governance secured by digital signatures.   
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.